Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who will be left?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Who will be left?
      #121748 - 21/12/08 03:35 PM

Following up on another post a question.

Who will cease making Double Rifles in within the next 5 years?

My guess goes to Heym. They have been on a tight rope for a long time.

Krieghoff and Merkel. Both known more for shotguns than Double Rifles. Also their price range is the one that will be hurt the most by a large downturn in the economy.

Searcy. The same as Merkel and Krieghoff.

William Evans. Sad to say as I like their product a lot but they are two small and too expensive to compete with H&H and Purdy.

On a positive side I see most of the family owned operations succeeding as they have a low overhead and depend on shotguns for the most part anyway.

Anyone else with an opinion?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Who will be left? [Re: mickey]
      #121753 - 21/12/08 04:52 PM

I sure hope you're wrong. The guns you mention are the ones that I can (or will be able to)afford. If Searcy, Merkel and Krieghoff go under then us peasant folk will never have our double gun dreams realized! It will only be the Prince Charles and Arab Sheik crowd with their H&Hs, and that will be about it... Pitty, Christopher

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Who will be left? [Re: crkennedy1]
      #121754 - 21/12/08 04:59 PM

Charles

I am not a Prophet. It is just that those are the guns that the average guy can afford if he tries. They depend on volume more than profit margin.

We a sagging economy those are the very people who will stop their discretionary spending and button down for the long haul.

IMVHO

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #121757 - 21/12/08 05:46 PM

Is this all a bit of a panic?

If on the other hand you are right, maybe there will be some bargains coming up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Who will be left? [Re: NitroX]
      #121769 - 21/12/08 09:01 PM

krieghoff and merkel makes other products as well which sell quite well in europe, so they will okay. searcy got an all out of proportion following in the US so he will be okay as well, unless the resession turns into a full blown depression, then he will be the first to go, because to me it seems like he sells mostly to americans.

since H&H and purdey has changed owners numerus times over the last 20 years, will they be around you bet, will it be companys you will admire and covet..... hmmm the jury is still out on that one.

boss: a newly started firm, that rely on shotguns, got the books filled several years out in to the future, they will be okay.

the european makers wont feel this to hard, because the amount of double rifles they sell, wont matter much in the big picture anyway.

lets us all remember that the tool that we love so much, is actually to most company's a side show that is a very small part of the sales, as opposed to the shotgun market.

just my 2 øre

bet regards

peter

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Who will be left? [Re: peter]
      #121771 - 21/12/08 10:11 PM

Hey peter, what does this mean?
Quote:

boss: a newly started firm

Thomas Boss started building guns some time in the 1820s, and started the firm Boss & Co in 1860. I rather thought it had traded more-or-less continuously since then.

Most of these companies have seen economic slow-downs before. While it is true that over the years most of the British gunmakers either closed or were absorbed by other companies when times were hard, many resurfaced in recent times: Churchill, Holloway & Naughton, etc. The landscape may indeed become less fertile for doubles in the next year or two, both rifles and shotguns, and that would be a great pity. Sadly, those gunmakers with the greatest skill at 'cutting corners' will likely be the survivors.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Who will be left? [Re: Marrakai]
      #121793 - 22/12/08 03:04 AM

Boss is owned by H&K now, I'm sure that's what he meant.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #121854 - 22/12/08 10:15 AM

Just a thought - when Wall Street thieves cannot spend telephone number amounts on top of the line guns, would they substitute their preferences with VFM ones? Actually making the smaller names do well instead of closing down?

As you can see, I prefer to be an optimist.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Who will be left? [Re: NitroX]
      #121888 - 22/12/08 02:07 PM

Quote:

Is this all a bit of a panic?

If on the other hand you are right, maybe there will be some bargains coming up.

+++

Think you are correct at the moment...however, I fear the worst is yet to come in regards to financial woe's of the world..

IMHO, the world will not be right in terms of finance for several years to come..as I told my staff..pay off all your debt, buckle up and hold on...we are in for a ride like many of us have never seen...again, just my opinion...but Japan has tried to spend themselves out of a bad economy for 15 years...and still trying....

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Who will be left? [Re: Ripp]
      #122210 - 25/12/08 01:52 AM

Quote:

Following up on another post a question.

mickey - Under new ownership (post 1998), Heym is a lot leaner and a lot more focused in its product offerings than it was then. Its markets and subsequent penetration are also a lot more focused today than they were then. Heym is not as big of a company as it was pre '98, but it is a lot healthier today and much more agile than it has historically been. Double rifles in particular are of renewed interest to HEYM, and I think you'll be surprised at what comes out of there in the next few years.

The European companies that are in the most immediate danger are the small ones that got hung out to dry in the Litt's fiasco. There were some that took pretty big hits over that.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Who will be left? [Re: Ripp]
      #122223 - 25/12/08 02:44 AM

Quote:

IMHO, the world will not be right in terms of finance for several years to come

Just like it took 15 +- years for the Lending Disaster birds to come home to roost, I am pretty certain the current Bailout extravaganza will take some years also, and when the cumulative effect is known, we will be looking at a completely different country.

As for the future of doubles, as I've mulled over in the past, I keep wondering if some company might be able to concoct an affordable, probably CNC stem-to-stern gun that calls for minimal hand fitting and comes complete with an easily adjustable barrel regulating device to allow zeroing with various ammo. Doubles are fairly legislation-proof, and in coming years this feature may be enough to drive a refreshed double-making industry???

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #122239 - 25/12/08 05:25 AM

I'd second Peter's observation, I think it's safe to say Merkel sells more double rifles in Europe than in the US. Lost of demand for 7,8 and 9.3mm double rifles in Europe to keep them going. I think the European firms will whether the storm given the demand for express rifles for European game. But they'll get less big bore orders I'm sure.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Who will be left? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #122422 - 27/12/08 06:19 PM

G'day 9.3, As much as I would like to see further improvement and refinement, are you not describing what Baikal have already done?

Good Shooting, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Who will be left? [Re: watto]
      #122444 - 28/12/08 01:45 AM

Quote:

G'day 9.3, As much as I would like to see further improvement and refinement, are you not describing what Baikal have already done?

Good Shooting, Ian.

To a degree, yes.

But I am thinking along the lines of "further improvement and refinement" just as you say. In addition, I wonder if the future will bring us doubles that have a non-traditional look about them.

Here's another way of looking at it; The worldwide, commercial gun market is IMO constrained by the fact that for all intents and purposes the makers seek to build and sell guns that fit a very narrow "style" or "art form", styles and forms that have been with us for 100 or more years.

One area where "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" expanded the market was in semi-auto, military type guns. I have to wonder if other style forms might change in the future and new options for the gun buyer might exist. If you look at a typical double, you see a very narrow form of style.

What if design forms from other shooting disciplines entered double gun making? What if for example synthetic stocks entered the double gun market. What about a REALLY quick, easy device to regulate the gun? Or new action types, or truly affordable interchangeable barrels, headspace takeup arrangement of some sort to eliminate hinge wear between barrel setups, Biathlon-type stocking, etc, etc, etc,...

This type of change HAS occured in handgun design in my lifetime already and to some degree in bolt-action hunting rifle design but not yet with doubles.

I'm really brainstorming here, but taking a peek outside the box I see wide horizons!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #122447 - 28/12/08 02:19 AM

Quote:

What if design forms from other shooting disciplines entered double gun making? What if for example synthetic stocks entered the double gun market. What about a REALLY quick, easy device to regulate the gun? Or new action types, or truly affordable interchangeable barrels, headspace takeup arrangement of some sort to eliminate hinge wear between barrel setups, Biathlon-type stocking, etc, etc, etc,...

This type of change HAS occured in handgun design in my lifetime already and to some degree in bolt-action hunting rifle design but not yet with doubles.

I'm really brainstorming here, but taking a peek outside the box I see wide horizons!

most of what you suggest are allready possible, but when the companys can sell all there product capacity, as the traditionel dbl rifles at an elevated cost then why change.

i like progress as much as the next guy, but really dont want to see the changes come to this buisness, as it has done to the rest of the trade, my take on semi-autos and most boltguns are clear to all, mass fabricated chuncks of plastic and steel, proberly good tools but i will never own one again. the only gun not made for warfare is the double rifle, and therefore it has been out of the massproduction circus, it still is an old artform, where real people have to do the work by hand. if it was possible to produce a nice dbl. rifle by machine i predict that the artform will die out withinn a few generations.

i think if you really wanted to see a double rifle in camo plastic and stainless steel, it could be done but you would have to pay extra for it

best of new year to you

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#122451 - 28/12/08 03:17 AM

Quote:

most of what you suggest are allready possible, but when the companys can sell all there product capacity, as the traditionel dbl rifles at an elevated cost then why change.

i like progress as much as the next guy, but really dont want to see the changes come to this buisness, as it has done to the rest of the trade, my take on semi-autos and most boltguns are clear to all, mass fabricated chuncks of plastic and steel, proberly good tools but i will never own one again. the only gun not made for warfare is the double rifle, and therefore it has been out of the massproduction circus, it still is an old artform, where real people have to do the work by hand. if it was possible to produce a nice dbl. rifle by machine i predict that the artform will die out withinn a few generations.

i think if you really wanted to see a double rifle in camo plastic and stainless steel, it could be done but you would have to pay extra for it

best of new year to you

peter

Peter:

I'm basically with you, tho I might be a bit more Pro-Choice when it comes to other designs.

I agree 100% about the "tool" aspect of other plastic-fantastic designs. They are, but...they are the product of modern manufacturing, which is exactly what traditional doubles WERE when they were first thought up.

When I was growing up, if a guy strolled on to a rifle range with an AR15, he might very well have been asked to leave. Now...

Scopes were once looked down on. Now...

Plastic stocked bolt rifles were thought to be hideous {...still are... } and never to be owned by true aficionados. Now...

And pistols; I clearly remember the demand for milled steel and walnut grips and REVOLVERS... Now...

My post wasn't a "wish list" but rather an attempt to answer the original question. I think you and I might be on the same page as far as what is appealing to our generation, but what about the next? I don't know, but when Cost + Legislation + Profit Margin + Will to Survive are added up, the answer might...might...be very non-traditional indeed... {???}

Godt Nytår, gamle ven!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#122456 - 28/12/08 05:11 AM

PS: We might be {partly} there aleady.

Anybody know if Savage is still making the U-G-L-Y 24? I betcha as a single company they just might be in the top 2 or 3 for total doubles {combos} made?

Those cobs are pretty common out here, much more so than any other two-barrel gun that includes at least one rifle barrel. Elsewhere I do not know. But talk about a "tool"...

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #122458 - 28/12/08 05:37 AM

I think you are right about the Savage and I think I read that somewhere in the distant past. I'll bet that Valmet isn't too far behind.

Your comment, 9ThreexFifty7, regarding synthetic stock double rifles is indeed a very interesting one. I'm really surprised one hasn't been offered. In terms of avoiding some of the hazards with airline damage to guns, it does make sense. The gun writers have sold us a bill of goods in stating that the synthetic stocked rifles are more accurate, blah, blah, blah, but we all know the real reason for the proliference of synthetic stocks is due to the depletion of good wood. It costs far less to produce a gun with a synthetic stock than it does to fit a gun with a nice piece of walnut. With that said, you may be onto something that we will soon see in the sacrosanct world of double rifles.

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Who will be left? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #122545 - 29/12/08 09:35 AM

Quote:

I think you are right about the Savage and I think I read that somewhere in the distant past. I'll bet that Valmet isn't too far behind.

Your comment, 9ThreexFifty7, regarding synthetic stock double rifles is indeed a very interesting one. I'm really surprised one hasn't been offered. In terms of avoiding some of the hazards with airline damage to guns, it does make sense. The gun writers have sold us a bill of goods in stating that the synthetic stocked rifles are more accurate, blah, blah, blah, but we all know the real reason for the proliference of synthetic stocks is due to the depletion of good wood. It costs far less to produce a gun with a synthetic stock than it does to fit a gun with a nice piece of walnut. With that said, you may be onto something that we will soon see in the sacrosanct world of double rifles.

Where have you been? a 470NE double rifle, made of stainless steel,with a synthetic stock was offered by B. Searcy several years ago. It wasn't accepted too well, and was discontinued after a very short time. The last one of those was offered for sale at the Dallas Safari Club show a few years ago,by it's owner an African PH, it didn't sell at the show. It sold later as a collector piece, for some exorbitant amount!

I hunt a lot in Alaska's rainy Septembers, and I thought about buying one of Searcy's stainless/synthetic double rifles chambered for 375 flanged with QD scope mounts for hunting there, but I drug my feet too long!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #122560 - 29/12/08 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear you think Heym doubles might go for a Burton. With one exception regarding soldering I've come across, they seem to have a good reputation that might keep them going, though.

I've taken the precaution of ordering spare tumbler/strikers and mainsprings with mine, just in case something does wrong in Africa. If you are right they might be needed eventually, anyway.

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
Re: Who will be left? [Re: Paul]
      #126069 - 07/02/09 08:25 AM

Fellow double rifle users should be patient for a while as I think the prices will decline. Since people can no longer use their McMansions as a personal ATM, something has to give. I have been seeing huger reductions in many luxury items and some double rifles fall into that list of upper end toys. If people are trying to sell anything to keep their heads above water, you see some nice rifles and shotguns for sale at decent prices. The rape and pillage days are over and they are not coming back for a long time.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Who will be left? [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #126074 - 07/02/09 09:14 AM

Even though I have no evidence to present, my gut feeling is there will be some investor collectors who may be ready to profit-take while the getting is good.

Fcuk me, I don't have the cash now (i do, but it's my life line) and will weep when some of these deals start to appear.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
Re: Who will be left? [Re: bonanza]
      #126099 - 07/02/09 12:29 PM

I hear you loud and clear my friend. Just be patient and watch what happens. Put some money in offshore banks where you can earn 5%. Sit back and relax as the fun is just beginning.
All the best to you.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Who will be left? [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #126148 - 08/02/09 12:05 AM

Careful! Alot of folks had money in Iceland!

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Who will be left? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #126161 - 08/02/09 02:38 AM

I think the last 10 years or so, have witnessed in the gunworld, that we have had a lot of money above average. More doubles have been made, old singleshot actions which died 100 years ago appeared, oddball calibers in huntingrifles, that died before ww1 has appeared etc etc. I think the next 10-20 years, will show a real decline, in special disires of all the funny stuff, just like after WW2, where the english guntrade almost went belly up, and cheap productionrifles from Remington, Savage and winchester became predominant.
Its those with a passion for the british colonial history,old virtues, bestgun quality that has kept the doublerifle interst alive, because that is what is inside every fine pre-war british made doublerifle. I guess the short version is that really the doublerifle is a british cultural institution.
On the internet I am beginning to see more and more of fine vintage rifles for sale, and those with loads(lots) of cash can get good deals. Most people won`t ever buy a doublerifle, regardless of have much bolttrash they have had their hands on, they will always buy another boltgun, often of the same lowdown quality they have always bought. They don`t advance and say to them selfs: " Ok..I have owned every gunfactory ever made..its time for something different". No, they just fall back and start all over, and waist their hardearned money on new factory bolttrash one more time, not knowing "Its all the same, and its all ugly as ever".
Who ever will be left of the doublerifle gunmakers is difficult to say, exept that those who has consolidated them self best will.....as always

Edited by rigbymauser (08/02/09 02:48 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9280

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com