Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 500/416 experience's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: JPK]
      #122630 - 30/12/08 01:10 PM

JPK, bear with me...

I'll look for it. Sounds very interesting. I'm still having a tough time seeing how a bullet that makes, say, 2.5 turns in 36 inches {1/14} of penetration could kill noticeably better than an identical bullet that makes 2 turns (1/18). Not saying it's impossible...

I agree pointed bullets are irrelevant to the discussion but I am referring to MKII and MKVI .303 bullets which are 215 grain RNFMJ's and known in military and hunting as deep, straight penetrators and discussed in TSA '29. No dice on terminal effect of various twist rates on the bullets in TSA '29. There are extensive discussions on twist rate {and many mathematical calculations beyond my ken} but they involve exterior ballistics for the most part. Poor overall killing power is noted on men with such bullets compared to lighter, pointed bullets. That is not so much due to yaw and tipping over of bullets as it is related to striking velocities and resultant hydraulic effect and energies imparted to secondary projectiles like bone, etc. Since the Great War {and SA War} was fresh on everybodies' minds this discussion is decisive. Most pointed .30-.323 military bullets tip in media after penetrating deeper than a torso shot on a man. None of this is particularly relevant to elephant hunting.

Having not read the material you reference yet, I cannot say, but one twist-rate factor that might effect terminal performance of heavy caliber, close "stopping" rifles is the distance required to make a bullet "go to sleep". All bullets exit the bore as "tippers" and take some distance to reach maximum stability, just like a top does when you give it a good "zing" and it wobbles and then spins true. This normally is exhibited in lessened ability to maintain straight penetration in dense mediums if impact occurs before max stability is reached.

Mmm... But does a quick twist take a few more yards to stabilize a bullet than does a slower {but adequate} twist or the other way around? I do not know.

On elephant it just might matter, and may explain strange bullet behavior on shots taken at real live life'n'death close ranges if strange behavior exists. Long-for-caliber monolithic solids may be effected more by such a phenomenon {bullet length dictates twist rate}.

There might be the twist rate mystery solved, but I'm not sure. Maybe the issue is twist rate as it impacts the actual distance necessary for the bullet to reach max stability BEFORE impact occurs. All bullets possess a certain amount of yaw before entering a target. It seems that in elephant hunting the minimization of preimpact yaw is maybe more important than is in any other hunting if for no reason than that the shots that truly matter may occur before this is reached in some rifles...

For testing softs, I can, based on my own testing, say with a fair degree of confidence that impact before max stability is reached does not materially effect performance of the bullet though some bullets tested recently indicate more "smear" on one side than another. Haven't explored that enough... Most sources seem to refer to 20 meters or so as being the closest distance a bullet takes to reach max stability and that is where I do my testing.

Regardless, if you introduce more yaw to one bullet than you do to another, penetration is very likely to be effected.

By the way, not sure what you mean by original twist rates of the M16. M193 is extremely stable when fired in standard 1/12 "A1" barrels. Dramatic wounding effect is primarily a result of fragmentation, not merely yaw of the bullet. M855 requires a 1/9 or so twist, the move to 1/7 in the A2 being made necessary by long tracer rounds only, which require a tighter pitch of 7.5-8 or so.

Now you make me want to sell the pickup and a horse or two and go elephant hunting...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (31/12/08 01:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: 9.3x57]
      #122641 - 30/12/08 04:32 PM

I'm looking for the threads I was thinking about, but in the meantime, I'll post some links to other interesting threads.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/507107644?r=507107644#507107644

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/656103598?r=378108598#378108598

I believe this one is the one I was looking for.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/594102656/p/1

Here is an intersting thread.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/32410417/p/2

Here is another one.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/141106055?r=552104455#552104455

That's enough looking for me tonight. Goos luck trying to read through some of the bickering. But whe you do you can find the references and the tests.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#122643 - 30/12/08 05:46 PM

On the M16, I had a nice long response regarding the current 1:7" twist, as you note required by the tracer ammo designed to compliment the Belgian developed Nato ammo. It was lost to the "no longer valid" deamon that appears when you take too long to post.

Suffice to say that the original 1:12" stabilized the original bullet in air, in moderate and hot temps. But it was short stabilization in arctic cold conditions, I suppose because the ammo was slower in really cold conditions, lowering rotation speed. (Recall that velocity directly effects rotational speed and stabilization, with greater velocity producing greater rotational rate and more stabilization and less velocity the opposite.) It's apparenty marginal stabilization in other conditions lead to rapid tumbling in denser mediums than air. Also leading to the complaints regarding penetration limitations in all mediums, with special concern regarding body armour.

The Belgian ammo Nato adopted now faces complaints of penciling, or too straight line, over penetraion because it is over stabilized.

I'll provide cites if you want them. I think a review of the fast twist = greater penetration threads gets us to the same place. That being sufficient but marginal stabilzation in air = poor penetration and tumbling in denser mediums and greater stabilization, even "over stabilization", leads to reduced early bullet yaw as well as to greater penetration independent of early yaw considerations. The latter point regarding greater penetration being open to some debate. I'm a beleiver though.

JPK

JPK

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #122651 - 30/12/08 08:09 PM

Thinking of penetration, JPK, 450-grain .416 bullets should have have more sectional density than 500-gr .458s.

The matter of increased velocity giving deeper penetration of course assumes we have tough, full-patch bullets. With soft-points it is usually the other way round in big-game calibres.

PS: If any Aussies can part with a small handful of FMJ 300-grain .338 slugs, please let me know. They might help in case I'm caught by something tough and nasty while armed for plains game, since some .338 solids have been said to penetrate the head of an elephant.

- Paul

9.3x57
.450 member

#122657 - 31/12/08 01:03 AM

JPK:

THANKS for the cites!

Yes, that expounds on the issue and hits on the issue I was referring to. Good stuff. Obviously somebody needs to do a Stem-to-Stern Research Report on it and I need to do some reading!

In sum, I guess it makes sense for a fellow to avoid extremes in the choice of an elephant rifle/cartridge combination, to be sure. An example would be extra heavy monoloithic solids in a rifle with minimal twist. Those details of weight and twist to be determined. I do not know what the original twist rate of the Win African .458 was, but I've always wondered if the accusations of veering penetration could have had something to do with squibb loads{low velocity, low rotational velocity} AND minimal stabilization to begin with. {??}

And for fun...

This quote by Ganyana: "All bullets yaw (helix) - shott a tracer into the night sky and watch".

Here's one launched from my front yard. And before anyone squeals, it is literally 185 miles of dense forest and mountains utterly devoid of buildings, sheds, camps or human habitation in that direction, and there was heavy snow on the ground and mist in the air when the shots were fired.

If a guy can't see the yaw, he ain't lookin'!!

As you know, but some may not, MERELY selecting a bullet based on its heavy weight and extreme length and assuming it to be a deep penetrator can be a mistake. Mere high sectional density does not guarantee deep penetration, bullet construction does. Bob Hagel and Elmer Keith's criticism of the Kynoch 300 grain .333 bullet and my own use and tests of 6.5 cal 160 Hornady's come to mind.

The reason all bullets need more twist in cold air is due to the air presenting a denser medium to the bullet than does warm air. Shooting in deep cold is also very interesting as the shooter can sometimes hear the bullets travel.

Finally...it would be very interesting to add a sticky where we could measure and post actual twists of actual guns instead of relying on catalogs and recurring hearsay. We started one on the gunboards Swede forum and it is a very interesting source of supporting information. I think you stated something about slow twist rates in .416's somewhere.

Standardized twists in military and other rifles normally are tighter than actually necessary for the bullets intended, in order to provide protection against barrel wear; corrosion, erosion, throat erosion, etc. I am REALLY curious as to the actual accuracy of some of the old NE guns that might be used. Testing at say, 50 meters like might occur might not be sufficient to expose bullets that are on the cusp of gyrostatic instability. Assuming there are those shooters who are a bit afraid of the old cannon and only shoot it at 50 meters and don't hit so well anyhow, they may never know until Tembo steps off the blocks!

Now, I wonder what the great collection of NE guns possessed here would expose as to actual twist rates {and bore condition}. I've attempted to measure twists on guns that would not spin the jag due to being shot out...

Thanks for a great discussion and for giving me all the links, etc.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (31/12/08 01:29 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #122658 - 31/12/08 01:57 AM

Fascinating stuff. FYI 9threeXfifty7, before I took that .470 O/U Dumoulin double to Africa I did
shoot 15 rounds off a lead sled as an experiment, it was NOT clamped, merely put in the sled, which, with the sand bags weighed 30lbs approx. No probs experienced with the rifle, groups were about 4" at 50 yds, 2 left, 2 right. Put another 15 rounds through offhand at 25 yds, recoil was obviously a lot less off the bench. Funny thing is when I perforated the Hippo I never even heard the thing go off or felt anything, all relative I suppose, punching paper is never going to be the same as when the adrenalin is up best and a prosperous and happy New Year to all, Mike (and thanks for the powder recommendations)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #122662 - 31/12/08 03:37 AM

9.3x57

Wow--now that is interesting stuff...have not had an opportunity to look at all the links yet...but your photo is amazing...and I had no idea bullets did that..had no idea this post would lead to this --but pretty cool...

Agree with your statement that one needs to be aware of the design and composition of the bullet when choosing weight --as that is, IMHO, even more important that the actual grain of the bullet..

By the way, You damn near him me with that bullet..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: Ripp]
      #122664 - 31/12/08 04:47 AM

Quote:

By the way, You damn near him me with that bullet..

You must'a ducked!!

And just for the record, that bullet demonstrates a most exaggerated example of yaw as it was a .30 cal tracer run single-shot thru a 7.62x25 TT33 Tokarev pistol. I keep a few of those as signalling rounds for survival purposes for my ski jaunts. Kinda like road flares.

Same bullet shot from a .30-06 at normal speed shows a less dramatic helix. Still visible, but less dramatic. For really eerie pyrotechnics, launching tracers into the night sky during a fine snowstormor into light clouds takes the cake!

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: Paul]
      #122668 - 31/12/08 07:49 AM

Quote:

Thinking of penetration, JPK, 450-grain .416 bullets should have have more sectional density than 500-gr .458s.

The matter of increased velocity giving deeper penetration of course assumes we have tough, full-patch bullets. With soft-points it is usually the other way round in big-game calibres.

PS: If any Aussies can part with a small handful of FMJ 300-grain .338 slugs, please let me know. They might help in case I'm caught by something tough and nasty while armed for plains game, since some .338 solids have been said to penetrate the head of an elephant.

- Paul

Wasn't intending to include softs in the discussion.

Yes, the .416" 450's have higher SD than the .458" 500's, but not the 550's!

SD .416" 450gr = .371. SD .458" 500gr = .341, 550gr = .375.

The 550's are of no use in the 458wm, but they are the cat's meow in the 458Lott, Ackeley, Rigby,... all the big case .458" rounds. The Lott will push them to 2150fps without trouble. Memebr 456H&H reports excellent penertation in elephants with the 550's at 2150fps mv, in the range of +70". BTW, he has more extensive elephant experience than I do, by a good bit.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#122669 - 31/12/08 08:22 AM

Regarding being careful selecting heavy bullets, you will eventually get to a brief post by 500 Grains, who has done a bunch on the topic. He is a fan of mono metal flat nose solids, and not one of those who once aware of the benefits who then think Woodleighs stink.

He believes that when one moves to a mono flat nose solid, it ought to be 10% lighter than the "standard" bullet. So for a .458" rifle, it ought to be 450grs, or for a 375H&H 270grs, for a 416 then 370grs or so.

I think he's generally right but each rifle's twist should lead to the answer.

JPK

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #122693 - 31/12/08 07:59 PM

Just my 2c - here is a pic of 2 300gr 9.3 cal Bridgers from Cape buff shot at 10m distance from 20cm barrel with 14" twist - bullets bended their noses (I assume that yaw/distance been the cause) and penetration was "sh€ty" (I bet they tumbled) - same bullet zipped through elands shoulders at 180m distance - only 265-270gr mono solids in 9,3/14" twist for me please.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: 93mouse]
      #122723 - 01/01/09 01:26 AM

Very interesting pic, 93.

Appears those bullets have slumped and not just bent over, also. I wonder if the wide meplat causes such behavior routinely??

Long bullets!

Really, those are zelo dolg svincenka!!

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (01/01/09 01:46 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #122724 - 01/01/09 01:30 AM

9.3x57
think 93 stated its 14"..

My Barnes solids I have recovered from several cape buffalo I have shot have actually retained almost 100% of their original shape--fact is, I think I could reload them again if I wanted too..Buffalo where all shot at 70 yards or less...and of course..416...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 500/416 experience's [Re: Ripp]
      #122732 - 01/01/09 01:48 AM

Quote:

9.3x57
think 93 stated its 14".

Oops...edited. Thanks.

--------------------

ant458
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: georgia usa
      #123651 - 11/01/09 02:48 AM

hey guys heres my stand on stopping rifles for one the 375 and 404 are very good for their bore size and dont forget peter capstick used a 375 as a backup for many years as did finn agarad

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #123658 - 11/01/09 04:16 AM

Quote:

And for fun...

This quote by Ganyana: "All bullets yaw (helix) - shott a tracer into the night sky and watch".

Here's one launched from my front yard. And before anyone squeals, it is literally 185 miles of dense forest and mountains utterly devoid of buildings, sheds, camps or human habitation in that direction, and there was heavy snow on the ground and mist in the air when the shots were fired.

If a guy can't see the yaw, he ain't lookin'!!

9Three - I have a question on this but started a new thread...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22013

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com