Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE?
      #11972 - 20/03/04 06:13 AM

Has anyone here ever hunted Buff or Ele with a .600NE and what were your results. I have told of mixed results and am curious what you guys have found. I intend to hunt Ele next year with Johan calitz and will bring my .600 Ok which is a much faster/ harder hitting caliber than the .600NE and will be using Bridger Flat point solids. I've seen some results on Buff with a .600NE double which were very disappointing to say the least, but I think the hunter plain could not shoot, so I have discounted this observation. What are your experiences?-Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
700nitro
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/04
Re: Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE? [Re: Robgunbuilder]
      #12092 - 21/03/04 10:59 AM

the 600nitro is a fine wepon the failurs you heard of were probably with old nickle plated solids by kynock

the new stuff is great and should work wonderfully

i have a vidieo downstairs with a gentle man using a 600 nitro and he absolutly floors a bull elephant with it.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #12116 - 21/03/04 08:28 PM

Robgunbuilder - no personal experience to report - but would make the observation that 600NE's were designed not just to kill an Elephant, but as a charge stopper - something that it did with room to spare! But, probably no better than a 577NE, which has better penetration - probably more usefull for general hunting, say where the "Texas Heartshot" might be called for.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE? [Re: 470Rigby]
      #12137 - 22/03/04 06:15 AM

Rob, I cannot answer your question directly. However, I will relate the second hand information that I have.

A certain famous personage who has made a lot of cape buffalo videotapes named Mark somethingorother told me the following:

1. A spooked buff shot in the lungs with a 375 will go 1 to 2 miles.

2. A spooked buff shot in the lungs with a 416 will go a mile.

3. A spooked buff shot in the lungs with a 458 will go a half a mile.

4. A gutshot buff shot up the rear end with a 500 as follow up will go less than half a mile because the bullet will penetrate all the way to the lungs.

5. A gutshot buff shot up the rear end with a 600 will go a hundred yards or so. The .600 bullet will stop in the paunch, but the momentum of the bullet seems to exhaust the buffalo, and he will stop after 100 yards or so to stand around and rest.

Consider the source and take it for what it is worth.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE? [Re: 500grains]
      #12145 - 22/03/04 09:36 AM

500grains
Mark also told me one time "The 600 Nitro is the best insurance policy a fella can have." Double rifles of various calibers, well handled, have gotten him out of many a tight spot. He really likes the 600.

AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
      #12619 - 27/03/04 11:53 PM

I used the .600 Nitro some back in the '70's. I had boxer primed cases made before Bell came along and I had Paul Roberts arrange to have some steel jacketed solids made for me. For softs I used Barnes and wheelweight cast in a mold I had the old NEI make before reorganization. I never used the original factory solid, so I cannot speak to them, but my opinion is they were not good. It it is of interest I used a Holland and Holland built as I recall in '48. I thought my Churchill was too light and my Jeffrey with the underlever clumsy.

I shot both elephant and buffalo with the .600.

I think the interest of the question is how good is it when things don't go just right or as planned. So I will approach it from that manner "because dead on the spot" is dead whether it is a .600 or a .375.

Elephant:

Found the ele at a samll water hole made by a recent rain in an open grass valley. We were able to approach to about 75 yards by using a fringe a trees on an finger going out into the grass and ending at an anthill. After he finished the drink and whatever he started to move back to the forested area on a line with our trees and would pass us broadside at about 60 yds. He would have another 600 yds or so to go to get away from me I decided to try for the side brain shot even though it was far beyond the 25 yards I liked and use the second barrel for the heart shot if I missed the brain.

Well, between the elephant moving and/or my aim I missed the brain, but the elephant could not control his body. He was like they say, "drunken sailor". He was down on his knees, he didnot go completely down. It was an easy job to finish when I hit him into the heart from the front at a 45 degree angle.

The .577 will out penetrate and I used it as well, but the blunt shape and diameter of the .600 will carry the day in my opinion. After all, once the bullet passes through the
head or into the off shoulder of the ele, how much more penetration do you need?

Unknown to us some photo people came along and saw the ele and what was up and started filming. They were not the bunny huggers, so we invited them to dinner a couple of times and they later sent me a copy of the rolls of movie film showing the action.

Buffalo:

Got up to the buffs in a big open grass area of unburned grass 3-4 ft tall. PH left it to the trackers and I to go it alone. I left the trackers at about 65-70 yards from the bull standing and watch us with the cows behind him, I supose 40-50 altogether, and went and went on a little to the left to about 25 yds. The bull was now nearly straight
on to me. I had a solid in the right barrel and a wheelweight cast in the left. I gave him the solid in the chest, stood for a moment and went for the trackers. I waited until he came broadside come and gave him the cast in the shoulders. On impact it looked as if you picked that bull up and body slammed him to the ground!

On dressing out the bull we found the solid just under the skin of the back side of the right hind leg. It had penetrated the full length of the buff. I still have the bullet, undeformed except for the rifling marks.

Another buff was rather uneventfull but full length penetration from a Texas Heart shot (PH wanted to see the .600 effect and not on license, so good practice), buff went about 40 yds and dead.

In this case I think it did much better than the .475 #2 when shooting buffalo control in Kenya with similar shots.

Leroy

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Anyone ever hunt DG with a .600 NE? [Re: AfricanHunter]
      #12668 - 28/03/04 08:01 AM

African Hunter,
Your results with the 600 are what I have come to expect out of a 404 or 416, not that much different IMO..Same for Saeeds 375-404 Wildcat...

I have shot a few Buffalo with the 505 Gibbs, .470 and lesser calibers and seen them shot with the 500 N.E., 500 Jefferys and 577 and all got about the same results as far as I could tell..about like yours..

Apparantly this incenses some folks, but it is what I have seen over the years, like it or not...Buffalo and elephant just succomb so fast from shoulder shots, they run a bit and then die except for the ocassional instant kill and some folks sure put a lot of measure on one instant kill, I do not, I just mark those down to fate...The only instant kill I ever got on a shoulder shot Buffalo was with a 370 gr. Northfork out of a 416 Rem at 225 yards, probably a sliver of bullet cut the spine or whatever...

Most bulls shot properly in the shoulders will run 40 yards to a half mile shot with anything, sometime further, but if they are misshot, damn near nothing will stop them after they get pumped with adrenaline except a brain or spine shot and ocassionally a good heart shot will instantly kill a charging bull. I have been told it is when the bullet explodes the heart the instant the front feet hit the ground on a running bull..I think this is correct as Doctari said this, and a couple of vet friends of mine said it was so, and I bow to their profession...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com