Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations
      #121013 - 12/12/08 03:42 PM

Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations after China incident

A Chinese schoolboy has survived an archery accident which saw an arrow pierce his eye and travel through his head without penetrating his brain.

Eleven-year-old Liu Cheong was practicing archery at his Jiutai City school in eastern China when one of his schoolmates accidently shot him.

The arrow pierced Liu's right eye socket before the tip lodged in the back of his skull, leaving about 50cm of the shaft protruding from his head.

Doctors at the Jida Hospital in Changchun cut the arrow shaft, before x-raying the wound and operating for hours to remove the arrow.

"It is a miracle he survived the accident," a medic at the hospital was reported in The Sun newspaper as saying.

Liu is recovering but doctors warned he is still at risk of infection from the deep wound.

Archery Australia chief executive Jim Larven said there had never been a recorded incident of an archer shooting another archer in the 60-year history of his organisation.

However, bows do not have to be registered in Australia, and there had been at least one murder and several serious accidents involving archers who did not belong to clubs.

"There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who own bows in Australia," Mr Larven said. "There's no regulation, but there should be."

<http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=696082>

Larven = a natural born slave and idiot!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: NitroX]
      #121026 - 12/12/08 08:12 PM

what a dumbass

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: peter]
      #121031 - 12/12/08 10:58 PM

Regulation of wooden sticks and strings ...very typical commenwealth.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #121038 - 13/12/08 01:30 AM

This just goes to so that there are liberal idiots in every organized sport and most areas of life. I have to suspect that the poor Chinese boy who was shot, was not really hit in the eye by "accident". Bob H.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #121063 - 13/12/08 10:57 AM

Why don't they ban automobiles? So many drunks kill and maim innocent people year after year yet registration, licensure, education and insurance requirements do not solve the problem!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #121068 - 13/12/08 12:43 PM

Quote:

Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations after China incident

Archery Australia chief executive Jim Larven said there had never been a recorded incident of an archer shooting another archer in the 60-year history of his organisation.

However, bows do not have to be registered in Australia, and there had been at least one murder and several serious accidents involving archers who did not belong to clubs.

"There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who own bows in Australia," Mr Larven said. "There's no regulation, but there should be."

<http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=696082>

Larven = a natural born slave and idiot!

I cannot understan why Mr Larven is worried. Quite clearly from his statment, should he ever be unfortunate enough to be shot in the head, it would miss his brain by about 36".

Regards

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Bramble]
      #121075 - 13/12/08 02:21 PM

Holy cow. That is a weird accident.

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: 500grains]
      #145026 - 03/11/09 01:27 AM

Better regulation of our assorted politicians, is what we need.
Larry

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Bestboss]
      #145331 - 07/11/09 02:46 PM

We need to start regulating an item that you can hack out of a tree?

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #147115 - 03/12/09 02:52 PM

Bramble:

That is f*&^*ing funny!

Armbar.

Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: armbar]
      #173660 - 23/12/10 08:58 AM

Jim is a fascinating fella to talk too re all aspects of Archery including Bowhunting. He is very passionate about his Archery but he is an administrator, follows a different thought process to the likes of me and I supect many others.

I need Government restricting my activites further like a hole in the head but sadly misguided do bader attitudes in Australian society are making registration and restriction of bows with firearm style laws more and more likely, it could only be one idiotic act away. I'm sick and tired of my selfreliance, independence and freedoms being legislated away due to the mindless acts of imbeciles, what happened to an individual being responsible for their own actions.

regards Jacko

Edited by Perry (23/12/10 08:59 AM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Perry]
      #173673 - 23/12/10 10:53 AM

I still think the number one enemy to bowhunting in Australia are the local camping / gun shops who sell crap, cheap gear with no idea to any clown off the street, who then goes and shoots some pet cow or some protected wallaby with it. Prior to the advent of this cheap rubbish coming into shops, you actually had to be dedicated and somewhat disciplined to search-out and save-up for archery gear.

Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Ben]
      #173705 - 23/12/10 10:16 PM

I agree Ben, the vast majority of new Archers that I see that turn up at clubs with mismatched gear bought it through a Gun shop or a Sports store and as you say this is invariably where the wankers that shoot Pelicans etc get hold of their gear as well.

I still worry about even restricting the sale of Archery equipment to Archery Dealers as this implies a Dealers licence, which of coarse will mean a fee. The cost then transferred to fair dinkum Archers. Perhaps it may end up being both necessary and the thin edge of the wedge to further restrictions. Perhaps our sport could benefit as Jim feels it may. Unfortunately you can't legislate against morons, only good folks will pay the price.

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Edited by Perry (23/12/10 10:17 PM)

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Perry]
      #173730 - 24/12/10 04:58 AM

A most unfortunate incident and tragic incident for the kid in China. More bans, rules and laws? What happened to common sense? It seems to be in short supply in many parts of the world. As a liberal I don't like rules, laws and regulations, the direct opposite to the Ill-liberal "liberals" you got under false flag in US, Australia etc. Jim Larven rolls over at once - politically correct clown.

People have to take responsibility for their actions and not rely on laws, regulations and authorities for everything.
Cheers
Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Archery Aust CEO calls for intro of regulations [Re: Yochanan]
      #174967 - 06/02/11 10:14 AM

When I lived in Japan, I practiced archery just because I wanted to keep my eye in so I could hunt elsewhere.

I never came across any restrictions.

I didn't want to run afoul of the law, so I made sure to ask. The desk sergeant at the local cop shop was somewhat amused I even brought the question up.

How can possession of a bow be illegal when you can make one yourself out of wood?

It was clear to me after getting laughed out of the Japanese police station I could do whatever I wanted with my bow.

As long as that didn't include hunting, which was clearly illegal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5096

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com