Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Interesting judgement

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Interesting judgement
      #120121 - 03/12/08 06:31 AM

USA : USA: Court sees aggravated assault in hunting accident
on 2008/12/2 11:20:59 (4 reads)

MONTPELIER, Vt.—The Vermont Supreme Court has ruled that a hunter who shoots and injures someone because he or she didn't properly identify the target can face an aggravated assault charge.

In a case arising out of Lamoille County, the court upheld the aggravated assault conviction of Eric Patch Jr., who was 17 and was out partridge hunting on his neighbor's land in November of 2006 when he saw movement in a tree, fired his 12-gauge shotgun and hit a deer hunter.

Andrew Gates, also of Hyde Park, was severely injured, still suffers from neurological problems and migraine headaches and is permanently disabled, said Christopher Moll, deputy state's attorney for Lamoille County.

Patch's lawyer, William Cobb of Hyde Park, sought dismissal and then acquittal on the charge, saying the state did not prove he intended to harm the victim.

The high court found that intent wasn't a necessary component of the crime, and that the recklessness of firing without being sure of the target was sufficient.

Prosecutors "elicited testimony that defendant had hunted on his neighbor's property in the past and knew that there were tree stands in the area," the court said.

"Defendant argues that the state had to prove that defendant knew about the risk of harm to this particular victim, but the standard does not require such a showing. It was enough for the state to demonstrate that defendant knew that shooting at an unidentified target presented a risk of harm, especially in an area where there were tree stands and others might be present, and therefore deviated from the standard of conduct that a law-abiding person would observe."

Patch was an experienced hunter, having participated in the sport with his father since he was a young boy and taken hunter-safety courses, according to testimony at his trial. While he had hunted on his neighbor's land -- Gates was the landowner's son-in-law -- the land had since been posted and Patch had been asked within weeks of the shooting to stay off it, Moll said.

Patch also was convicted on a trespass charge and did not appeal that count. Cobb said in an interview Monday that the trespass may have helped persuade the jury to convict Patch on the aggravated assault charge.

Patch could have faced up to 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine on the assault conviction. Judge Brian Grearson sentenced him to 120 days to 10 years, with 60 days in jail, 60 days on a work crew and then furlough, Moll said.

Essex County State's Attorney Vincent Illuzzi said he was encouraged by the court's order, adding that it will give prosecutors more leeway on what charges to bring when a hunter shoots a person. Such a charge would not be brought in all cases, but "in the appropriate circumstances, there could be a charge of aggravated assault," he said.

Two hunting advocates said Monday that Patch appeared to have violated a cardinal rule of hunting safety: Know what the bullet is going to hit before shooting.

"What I expect is going to happen in the firearms instruction course is that they're going to cite this case, and tell people that such a reckless discharge of a firearm can result in an aggravated assault conviction," said Evan Hughes of Barre, central vice president and legislative liaison with the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs.

Steve McLeod of the Vermont Traditions Coalition, which represents groups including hunters, farmers and other traditional land users, said, "The first thing sportsmen are taught is to know your target. It's the most basic rule and sportsmen certainly understand and support prosecution of those (who) harm another human being for failure to identify their target."

The Supreme Court decision was contained in an unpublished entry order, a court ruling that has the force of law for those involved but does not create a precedent.

Nonetheless, Hughes said he expected the principle established by the court could extend to other types of recklessness. A boater who plows through what is clearly marked as a diving area and hits a diver trying to surface could face such a charge, he said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont...ostPop_Emailed5

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: gryphon]
      #120173 - 03/12/08 12:35 PM

Every year hunters are shot due to mis-identification. However tragic this is, it is minuscule compared to the number of shots taken. Most hunters are shot because they are not wearing their blaze orange (dumb fucks)

This charge is a slipper slope if I ever saw one.

The Liberals see victory in their sights for the first time since Reagan was shot. The Republicans don't realize how badly they fucked up by rejecting Romney (a good man!), just because he's a Mormon.

We are going to pay and pay and pay like never before because of the backward evangelical Christians.

I work for a big finacial institution on the verge of implosion and I live in bucker mode now. I would hoard up on any firearm I could get my hands on otherwise.

Blair

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: bonanza]
      #120176 - 03/12/08 01:07 PM

For one, orange is not bad but it is silly to believe that wearing it makes a man look like a man, while not wearing it makes a man look like a deer. Here we have no orange law. Thousands of men work in the woods and to suggest people must wear it or be shot is not workable. Identifying the target before pulling the trigger is the thing and those who don't should be jailed for life, as they know damn well what they are doing. Using the "He wasn't wearing orange" bit is ridiculous and where it is accepted in court the jury members are morons.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: gryphon]
      #120179 - 03/12/08 01:28 PM

Some may be able to use this as a wedge issue but it is best to keep the idiots with guns out of the woods. Here is an even worse example that occurred earlier this year here in Washington; a hiker shot and killed by a young hunter who thought she was a bear:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008088335_webhunter02m.html

How do you mistake a hiker for a bear? You don't shoot at a target you cannot positively identify, period.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #120225 - 03/12/08 10:25 PM

There is no orange law in Vermont either. In fact you can carry concealed here with out any license. Though an excessively liberal state, the gun laws do not exist here.

Most people wear orange anyway.

I applaud this conviction. There are several Homicides and woundings here each year due to some stupid hick taking 'sound shots'. I had a recently disposed case where a kid got bored because he wasn't seeing any deer so he shot and killed a farmer who was sitting in his tractor. The said farmer was in his field and using his tractor as a blind.

On another recent case another young man shot a man who was picking black berries in a patch next to a road because he thought it was a bear. He shot the man in the neck and heard him scream. The man begged for help and the shooter drove away with his friend and left the wounded man to bleed to death.

Another problem is poaching. We have a decent moose population and there are way too many getting poached. Lots of deer get jacked here too. There are not enough rabbit wardens.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: AspenHill]
      #120242 - 04/12/08 01:01 AM

In my opinion, the 17 year old should be charged.
Suppose it was not another hunter in the tree, but a Bald Eagle or other protected species?
There still would have been a crime committed.
As for the other idiots cited, not at all sorry for them either.
One of the primary rules of firearms use (as if we need reminding) is to be certain of your target - period!
This kind of thing happens every year - American hunters getting wounded or killed by another hunter. I wonder how this compares with the incidence of bear, moose, cougar attacks on hunters. It is accepted that the most dangerous hunting situation in America is turkey season. As far as risk of death, I bet it is more dangerous here than in Africa!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: Huvius]
      #120245 - 04/12/08 01:31 AM

Sorry Bonanza .."they are not wearing their blaze orange".....what the hell has that got to do with it. The guy fired at an unidentified AND unsafe target, he deserves to go down, he is an idiot, just my opinion of course, best, Mike

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Interesting judgement [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #120247 - 04/12/08 02:33 AM

"Every year hunters are shot due to mis-identification. However tragic this is, it is minuscule compared to the number of shots taken. Most hunters are shot because they are not wearing their blaze orange (dumb fucks)

This charge is a slipper slope if I ever saw one.

The Liberals see victory in their sights for the first time since Reagan was shot. The Republicans don't realize how badly they fucked up by rejecting Romney (a good man!), just because he's a Mormon.

We are going to pay and pay and pay like never before because of the backward evangelical Christians.

I work for a big finacial institution on the verge of implosion and I live in bucker mode now. I would hoard up on any firearm I could get my hands on otherwise."

What the hell does any of the above have to do with firing at a unidentified target. Completely riduculous. I am not sure which of the 5 previous sentences are more offensive to me ???

Blair,
I would suggest you go into work and have a talk with your HR manager and vent to him and think before you talk until your employement/finacial situation settles down. Spare us your venom.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1837

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com