Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sucky Ruger rings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Sucky Ruger rings
      #119999 - 02/12/08 03:18 AM

Three days before deer season I took my Ruger 77 338/308 AI out to the range and sighted it in. I sighted it in 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Opening morning I had a nice standing broadside shot a white tail buck at what I thought was about 175 yards. I took the shot and hit a foot under the deer. I laughed with self about being back on the prairie and not being up to snuff on my range estimation.

Two days later another nice whitetail at 250 yards. I know this range is right because I have measured it in past with the laser range finder. I shot and hit high and way left.

I knew right then what was wrong. On the way home from the field I stoppped at the gun club, put up a target and fired three rounds. Nice group, just under an inch. Also 6 inches high and 7 inches left, almost off the target.

Got out a screwdriver, and sure enough the screws on the Ruger rings were not tight. I got bit by the age old Ruger curse soft clamp nuts and screws.

I pulled the scope off the rifle this morning and and took this picture. Sure enough, soft clamp nut.

Back in the old days I use to run into this all the time in my shop. People would come in and complain about their scope not holding zero. It wasn't hard to find the problem in the Ruger Factory rings. You never saw this wrote up in the Gun Mag's. Nope can't say anything derogatory about there biggest sponsor. When I talked to other Gunsmiths they all were aware of the problem, learning like I had from experience. I have even over there years talked with Ruger about the issue and only once had any one acknowledged it.

Back then to fix the problem I drilled and tapped the rifle and installed a Leupold base and rings.

I see now that Leupold has a ring designed for the Ruger Integral base. Any one have any experinece with them?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: DoubleD]
      #120017 - 02/12/08 06:23 AM

Yes I once had a Ruger No.1 in 7x57 on which a very bad gunsmith put the scope I delivered in Leopold rings. First I hated them because they were much too high for the 40 mm objective but they also came loose very quickly.
My very first rifle though was a Ruger No.1 in .338 Win. Mag. but the scope was mounted with Tasco rings, "Made in Japan" and they fitted perfectly and never got loose !
So I guess the problem is bad tolerances in producing the rings. Now I use EAW or Recknagel mounts and rings exclusively and never had problems again (if the gunsmith does his job well).

Kalunga

Wicked good hunting !!!

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: Kalunga]
      #120029 - 02/12/08 10:15 AM

Odd ... never had a problem with Ruger rings yet. I loctite all the screws and always check them when the rifle is removed from the safe anyway.
Cheers...
Con

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: Con]
      #120030 - 02/12/08 10:18 AM

Same as Con.. Loctite was cheaper than new rings. Then again I have only done it once on my Ruger No.1 and don't know how repeated removal would affect the rings.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: tophet1]
      #120031 - 02/12/08 10:29 AM

I've been using Ruger rings on five No. 1 rifles and several big-bore revolvers. The 458 Win Mag shed its scope once, and I've used it with iron sights ever since. None of the others ever gave a bit of trouble. The rings are used as "quick detachable" mounts, and are frequently removed and replaced, with no loss of zero, nor any trouble.

Take care, Tom

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: Tatume]
      #120042 - 02/12/08 01:21 PM

DoubleD:

I have heard/read what you say before, but have never experienced it myself. I have several Rugers with stock factory rings and not had the problem. Thanks for the pix.

I will say this; I put a screwdriver to them occaisionally and none are on hard-kicking rifles.

I'm confused on something; A scope that remains under the same tension but experiences fatigue and failure of the mounting system can hardly shoot an accurate group as loosening of the part would be introduced. Or did you tighten the screw more to compensate for the faire and then shoot for group?

Similarly, I don't see how zero can shift but group size remain tight as a result of part failure {more or less same question as above} unless constant tightening is applied.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #120058 - 02/12/08 03:44 PM

I've had some Ruger mounts that worked very well, and others that needed a bit of tidying up to get them reliable.
The fact that they are a bit soft has never really bothered me as, if they were made too hard they could end up marking or indenting the rifles receiver.
Better to bend something on the mount than the receiver IMO.

In every case where I've had to do a little work on them, they ended up working fine.

Two Ruger 77's I've owned which were VERY accurate and reliable were both 300 Win mags.
One was the early tang safety model which had open sights as well.
I really regret ever selling that one, and it had never required any fixing of the mount system.
The other Ruger 300 was a stainless synthetic CRF which I bought new and it shot very well straight out of the box and the scope mounts were great and worked well from day one.

I also shot a tang safe 77 in 22-250 for quite a few years when I was shooting roos and wild pigs for a living, and never had any problems with the mounts at any time.

I guess I was lucky with those as I've had to tune up the mounts on other 77's including a .358 Win and a .270.

A lot of scope ring problems stem from misalignment IMO.

Carefull matching of the mating parts where the rings attach to the receiver, followed by lapping the rings and then deburring can work wonders toward reliable scope mounting.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: 4seventy]
      #120060 - 02/12/08 04:03 PM

Look again.

See the deformed clamp nut nose. That's the problem.

This doesn't loosen the screw so you turn it with you fingers. But when you use a screw driver you can feel the screw is looser. The base moves but is still tight.

In fairness I must say that every Ruger I worked on did not have this problem. But I did see a lot of them.

My 22-250 had the problem and I sent the screw and clamp nuts to Ruger at their request with a note. Got no response to the note, just a new set of rings. Those replacement rings work great and I have about wore that rifle out.

I suppose I should just send these rings back to Ruger and see if they send me repelacments and stop my whining.

Never had this problem with my Martini's!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #120066 - 02/12/08 06:24 PM

DD
I saw the defomed clamp when you first posted the photo and I have seen this before.

Quote:

But when you use a screw driver you can feel the screw is looser. The base moves but is still tight.

There lies IMO one of the big problems regarding tightening scope mounts, the "screwdriver".

When a screwdriver is selected which has a blade broad enough to engage both sides of the slot on the rings, you could end up with a screwdriver powerfull enough that it is possible to badly over-torque the mount clamp system, and something is highly likely to give.
In this case it's the tip of the clamping claw.
Once that tip is deformed, the claw is not able to draw the scope mount down tight onto the receiver, and the result will be just as you describe, where the screw is still tight but the scope base is able to move.

(Edited to add.........
Of course it is still possible that the metal was too soft to start with and would have deformed anyway).

I used a screwdriver once for tightening the clamp nut on a set of scope rings.
That was back in 1979 and I haven't used a screwdriver for that purpose again.
IMO it's better to use a coin of the correct size.

Our Oz 10 cent piece is just a tad smaller in dia than 1 inch and it's thickness fits the slot nicely.
It does the job well, and will get the nut plenty tight enough.
You would really have to excell yourself though to over tighten Ruger rings with a coin.
With a screwdriver however, it is not at all difficult to over-torque those mounts.

Edited by 4seventy (02/12/08 06:49 PM)

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: 4seventy]
      #120086 - 03/12/08 12:12 AM

I'm sure the screw driver is part of the problem, but the real problem is the soft steel of the nut.

I have take enough of these apart to know that some clamp nuts are soft and deform. Some are hard and do not deform. On the rifles I worked on that wouldn't hold zero, these soft clamp nuts showed up.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #120091 - 03/12/08 01:32 AM

Quote:

I'm sure the screw driver is part of the problem, but the real problem is the soft steel of the nut.

Totally possible that ad heat treatment is the problem, but my experience follows:

The mounting technique that might solve the problem {?} I use and have used for many years, and the one we used mounting and boresighting scopes in the gunshop/store is this:

The scope ring is placed on the receiver and grasped firmly. As the nut is being tightened, the ring is jiggled with the other hand in order to help the ring find its own center and seat itself. You can actually feel this occur.

It is easy to tighten a Ruger ring when the ring base is NOT securely seated. This last bit is what I believe causes the lion's share of the problems people say they have with the rings. "Jiggling" the ring and making double sure it is seated prevents the misalignment.

I believe 4seventy is right; misalignment normally causes the problem. The screw is made to be softer than the receiver, and should be. No doubt some may be too soft, but if the ring is merely slapped on the receiver and tightened, without being set into its base, it is very easy to get a "bite" on the screw {clamp} where the screw feels tight but the clamp is only grabbing on the clamp edge. This misalignment I have seen and experienced during the scope mounting process and rectified while mounting. Every time it has occured to me, loosening and jiggling the ring as it is being tightened has solved the problem. As mentioned, I have only had long-term shooting experience with several Rugers, but mounted many in the shop, some on heavy kickers and none that came back goosed-up.

I am guessing that a ring clamp that is really too soft might be a worse offender in the misalignment process because it might feel like it is biting securely when it is not and then naturally later under the stresses of recoil it lets go. Those I've heard of resulted in scattered groups. I'm still having a problem seeing how the POI shift could occur and maintain group size. I have heard of this problem, but never heard of group size remaining tight. I never had one return to the shop where I worked, having only heard of the problem on the internet.

As for misalignment, DoubleD, your first pic looks like it shows a scuff on the ring base on one side. I can't say I remember seeing this before but that might indicate improper seating of the ring and cattywampus pressure under recoil?

Good thread and thanks for posting the pics, too. All this might save somebody else trouble.

As far as you rings are concerned, if it was me, I'd file the burr off, remount using the jiggling technique and I bet the thing won't let go again.

No promises!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Sucky Ruger rings [Re: 9.3x57]
      #120103 - 03/12/08 03:08 AM

Those scuff marks are the contact points of the ring and the top of the rifle action and the bottom the ring. In the picture above if you look close at the alignment boss above the clamp nut you will see the second contact point.

Here is a picture of the front ring.

You can see two contact marks where they should be. Except it appears the front alignment boss might be bottoming.

I have never seen a Ruger rifle that has been scoped and shot for a while that doesn't have these contact marks. I'm not talkeing about looking at four or five rifle here. I'm talking about a couple of hundred worked on in my career. Not alot in some gunsmiths career but more than enough to form a clear opinion.

As to jiggling rings; well yes that well work, but a babbit is better.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3504

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com