Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Short Action Mania

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Short Action Mania
      #11982 - 20/03/04 10:04 AM

I'm just curious as to members experience with the short action calibers that seem to be the rage right now. Are they really that good, or is it just gun writers hype?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Short Action Mania [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #12010 - 20/03/04 03:45 PM

I think the manufacturers need new products to sell and the writers are there to pimp whatever it is for them. I can't see that the new rifles do anything different and you would have to be a picky picky person to pretend they do.

Too bad the manufacturers don't try to improve what they already make. I haven't bought a brand new rifle in 8 years and see no reason to now.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: Short Action Mania [Re: mickey]
      #12054 - 20/03/04 09:18 PM

I have yet to see any real "positives" with the new SAs...

several reasons.

1) only the 270 WSM offers something new ballistically.
2) In north america (90%+ of the market for them I suspect), the only hunts where they would offer the shooter anything beyond what is already available are sheep and goats in the mountains, where weight is such a huge issue. and even at that, only a 270 and 7mm are needed (although a case for a true .257 short MAG could be made... the new 257WSSM is NOT a magnum as it only replicates the 25-06 velocities.
3) the accuracy benefits are very very minor, and not well substantiated. nothing a good reloader couldn't accomplish with a .308 Win.
4) Feeding issues... have you SEEN a WSSM????

if I'm a marketer, I see one application, really. featherweight or extreme-weather rifles in 270 or 7mm... otherwise... I don't see it. the 300WinMag is a very well-respected long-range target round, and the 308 does whatever the 300 can't do.

to me, the whole "short-action" question had already been answered though. it was the 7mm-08. short action, great ballistics, good bullet selection, right size for the game at hand....

the only other viable uses are things like ELK hunting... yeah, I want to shoot a 6.5lb 300-mag! NOT!

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com