Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hamstrung and Hams...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Hamstrung and Hams...
      #119494 - 26/11/08 02:10 AM

When you are hamstrung with thousand-yard shots over critter-hiding, rolling ground, a busy schedule and you are committed to testing a new bullet in The Potato Chucker, you have to get creative to close out the season.

Been chasing an elusive buck, passed up a lot of deer and with a bunch of stuff piling up on my To-Do List, had to close out on a doe.

The timber approach was impossible due to the lay of the land {I don't have any tree stands. They muck up the scenery}.

So Junior and I combined our {albeit comedic} engineering skills to figure out how to grab some steaks off the timber edge of one of my fields. Where there's a will...

We slapped this thing together before I went to work yesterday morning and then I slid out early and put it to use in the afternoon. I'm surprised the critters weren't chased away from our laughing as we built this lovely work of art!

Maybe my daughter can use it on hers?

I plotted the shots to be maximum 200 yards {the zero of the load}.

View of the shooter's position:

Here is the blind from where the critter stood;

Feet well dug in {pic taken after the shot}.

Big, Basted, Beautiful Backstraps!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (26/11/08 03:14 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LarrysGrip
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Upstate, SC, USA
Re: Hamstrung and Hams... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #119496 - 26/11/08 02:55 AM

You've got to be one of the most creative guys I have ever met! Awesome deception. Nice shot and harvest. Proud of your 9.3. Can't believe what you did with your 6.5. What will the ground squirrels think?

--------------------
Larry

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Hamstrung and Hams... [Re: LarrysGrip]
      #119499 - 26/11/08 03:32 AM

Thanks Larry.

We try to have fun!

"My" deer are used to us logging and firewood cutting and all the slash piles left around waiting to burn, but a slash pile in the middle of a hay field? I guess they didn't mind...

As for the CZ 6.5 you refer to, it was a tank, a real crew-served weapon. When the carbine outweighs the rifle by 2 pounds, something has to give. In this case, the barrel! I already have a cutdown 17" Ruger 6.5 and 22" bbl 6.5's, and like them alot, so the 20" bbl 6.5 CZ did nothing for me. Really, tho, you take a look at a CZ550 action and it is massive, like a 1917 Enfield. Not the platform for a light carbine IMO.

CZ has it now, and will be spinning on that take-off 9.3 barrel.

I'll post the results when it comes home. Must cobble some 9.3x62 ammo now. I want the carbine 9.3x62 to duplicate or just a bit beat the performance with shorter barrel what the pictured {in this thread} 9.3x57 Husqvarna does with the long 24" bbl.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Hamstrung and Hams... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #119502 - 26/11/08 05:03 AM

You geek!

Great little hutch though, I think you need to put a couple pink flamingos and some astro-turf up at the mouth of the foot trench.

That and one of those mailboxes with the 'flying duck' wind socks sticking up from it's post!

Good on you, enjoy dinner...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Hamstrung and Hams... [Re: tinker]
      #119525 - 26/11/08 12:09 PM

Tinker:

Next year!

Pink flamingos and a little jockey lantern holder.

Got it!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1419

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com