Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Years

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Years
      #89603 - 24/11/07 02:54 AM

It's been my "go to" gun for going on 25 years now, and it just keeps on keeping on!!

I harvested this 8 point, opening day at about 130 yards... This makes something like 20 one shot kills in a row on big game with this gun.

DM

Edited by DM (26/11/07 10:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 68 Y [Re: DM]
      #89680 - 25/11/07 01:09 AM

Great picture and a nice drilling. What model and caliber is it? I have two Krieghoff Neptuns, one pre-War in 16/16/9.3X72R and the other post-War in 16/16/8X65R (converted from 7X65R). Both have side levers for separate rifle barrel cocking.

DM
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 68 Y [Re: xausa]
      #89701 - 25/11/07 05:57 AM

Hi again.

My drilling is a Krieghoff Sempert Drilling 16-16-8x57jrs that was made in Oct. 1935...

It came to me in 1983 from someone i knew, that took it out of a castle durning WW2. He took it durning a "sweep" looking for German soldiers.

By the time i got it, it was pretty beat up with dented shot bbls, blueing loss and a stock that was broken in several pieces, also the scope was missing, but the rifle bore was near perfect!! It had not been fired much, and it spent most of it's life getting knocked around in a barn in California. So, i set out to "restore" it and along the way turning it into to the gun "i always dreamed of owning".

When i was about 9 yrs old i was looking at new Shooters Bible my father had bought. I, for the first time noticed some guns called "Drillings" and fell in love! I tried and tried to get dad, who has also always liked the idea of combo guns, to buy one, but we were much too poor to beable to afford something like that. I had the idea in my mind for many many years after that, to "one day" have one for my very own!

After looking over what i had, i made the missing stock pieces, repaired the stock and formed 20 cases out of 7x65R cases i already had on hand. I then headed to the range to see how well it shoot, and i couldn't believe how well it grouped! I decided right there to have what work i couldn't do myself, done by those that i thought was "best" for that part of the job even if it would be costly... I'm very pleased with the way it came out. I picked everything from the checkering to choke tubes..

The stock blank i used came to me as a personal gift from Andy Garner, who sawed all of "Pachmayrs" wood for many, many years. It's a "naturally grafted" Bastone/Circassian walnut that is very rare. Andy told me he had only seen two of them in over 45 years of sawing, so he "saved it for something special". He went on to tell me that he found the first one after only sawing for 2 or 3 years, and figured they weren't all that rare, so he sold it for $7.00! He never saw another untill this one....

Over the years it's been a VERY effective gun for me, putting tons of meat in my freezer!!

I only use one load/bullet in this gun for all of my hunting, and it is Noslers 200 grain partition loaded to 2,550 MV... It's a wonderfull combo that works well on everything big and small...

I've hunted with my drilling from the costal temporate rain forest,

to Texas desert country,

to moose and bear ect.. in Alaska,

to whitetails in the midwest and beyond...

It's been a great hunting companion since the first time i pulled the trigger on it and i can't even tell you how much pleasure it's brought me over the years! I've owned several drillings since this one, but this one is the "keeper".....

Anyway, i hope you enjoyed the picture show...

DM

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
      #89711 - 25/11/07 07:34 AM

DM,

Beautiful gun, and great story...thanks for sharing it with us!

I've only recently fallen under the drilling spell. I took my Simson 12x12/7x65R to Kodiak last winter, and killed 3 deer and 2 geese. I'm hooked! Just found a virtual twin with a 9.3x74R rifle barrel, and working up loads for it. It was made within months of the 7x65R, and the serial numbers vary on the last three digits only. Should make a great pair, capable of hunting virtually anywhere in the world.

Jeff

DM
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 68 Y [Re: akjeff]
      #89745 - 26/11/07 01:32 AM

Quote:

DM,

Beautiful gun, and great story...thanks for sharing it with us!

I've only recently fallen under the drilling spell. I took my Simson 12x12/7x65R to Kodiak last winter, and killed 3 deer and 2 geese. I'm hooked! Just found a virtual twin with a 9.3x74R rifle barrel, and working up loads for it. It was made within months of the 7x65R, and the serial numbers vary on the last three digits only. Should make a great pair, capable of hunting virtually anywhere in the world.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, and what a great find on your part!!! Now you have to worry about wich one of your drilling your going to take hunting. ha ha ha

I've hunted Kodiak and many of the surrounding islands, but my fav place for blk. tails is Montaque... Not that the deer are bigger or anything like that, i just like hunting there... I've harvested a truck load of blk. tails from all of those islands though...

Good luck with all of your hunting!

DM

akjeff
.300 member

#89749 - 26/11/07 02:46 AM

DM,

Yep decisions, decisions...If there are big brown bears around, I'll take the 9.3!

Nice to hear from somrone who's hunted this country with a drilling. Contrary to popular belief, a stainless/synthetic gun is not mandatory to hunt in AK. If you truly enjoy hunting with the classics, it can be done; you just have to want to do it, and be willing to make the extra effort to care for them in the feild.

Rehards,

Jeff

DM
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Y [Re: akjeff]
      #89764 - 26/11/07 10:39 AM

Quote:

DM,

Yep decisions, decisions...If there are big brown bears around, I'll take the 9.3!

Nice to hear from somrone who's hunted this country with a drilling. Contrary to popular belief, a stainless/synthetic gun is not mandatory to hunt in AK. If you truly enjoy hunting with the classics, it can be done; you just have to want to do it, and be willing to make the extra effort to care for them in the feild.

Rehards,

Jeff

Jeff,

I've found my "rust blued" drilling much easier to keep the rust off from that any blued gun i've had in the field... Even on extended hunt it needs almost no maintance!!

As for the 9.3x74R, it's one of my favorites... I have a combo and a DR in that cartridge, and i have now been playing with an "improved" chamber for them. I haven't chronographed them yet, but i'm sure it's going to give that old cartridge a pretty good boost, and i can still fire std. 9.3's in it...

Anyway, when i get more time, i'll wring it out!

DM

akjeff
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Y [Re: DM]
      #89789 - 26/11/07 03:05 PM

DM,

I totally agree on the rust blueing. Far superior to hot tanked.

Please keep us posted on the 9.3 Improved. Neat idea. I think one blown out straight to a big bore would be kinda cool.

I used to have a Beretta o/u in 9.3x74R, and and recently got one of the Ruger No.1's in 9.3. A definite favorite cartridge.

I was going to test fire this drilling over the weekend, but I had to perform major surgery on the buttstock. It had been re-stocked with an incredibly high comb, that would have busted my jaw on the first shot! I whittled it down to the same DAH/DAC dimensions as the other drilling, which fits me perfectly. Will have to wait for next weekend, as there's not enough daylight to shoot after work.

Regards,

Jeff

DM
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Y [Re: akjeff]
      #89813 - 27/11/07 01:29 AM

Quote:

DM,

Please keep us posted on the 9.3 Improved. Neat idea. I think one blown out straight to a big bore would be kinda cool.

Regards,

Jeff

Will do Jeff, It probably won't come fast though, as i have a pile of projects just like this one to get too!

DM

DM
.300 member

Re: My Krieghoff Drilling is Still Doing It's Job After 72 Y [Re: DM]
      #119051 - 18/11/08 06:58 AM

Now that we have started our 08 regular firearms deer season here, i thought i'd bring this post to the top, and post a pict. of my opening day...

This buck will come in handy this winter!!

As you can see in the pict., i had a new scope installed on my drilling... I wanted something that worked better in low light conditions!

I'm very happy with my choise, now even in poor light conditions, anything i can see with my 10/50 bino's i can shoot with my drilling!

DM

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4392

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com