Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
?? MERKEL OWNERS ??
      #118969 - 17/11/08 12:49 AM

I am particularly interested to hear from Merkel owners especially the 140A in 500NE or 470NE .

1.Do you use the left or right barrel first ?

1.Do you have problems with double discharge if you use the left barrel first ?

3.What are your trigger weights ?

4. What if any problems have you had with a Merkel.

Look forward to your reply's.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #118970 - 17/11/08 12:54 AM

470NE

1. Right

2. No

3. Adjusted by a gunsmith to 3 - 3.5lbs and 4-5lbs which
is what all my DR's weigh in at.

4. None

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #118972 - 17/11/08 01:21 AM

500, PM sent.
Al

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #118973 - 17/11/08 01:26 AM

PM replied

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #118982 - 17/11/08 04:07 AM

I have a 247SL 12 bore, custom stocked by Merkel, but no double rifle at the moment.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (17/11/08 10:40 PM)

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #118994 - 17/11/08 10:11 AM

470 NE Merkel 140, non-ejector- been to Africa twice and used well

Doubled while firing front trigger first after a hundred rounds or so from new.
repaired that, then would double 99% of the time when i used rear trigger first (normally it is front trigger first) - 3 visits to good double gunsmiths (here in Canada) who removed the front set trigger, repaced it with a non-set hinged trigger for my fat fingers because everyone thought it was my fault.

On the 3rd visit - a very small burr on an internal part was finally found to be the reason. Fires excellent and safely now.

I was worried because i love this rifle. BTW I removed the auto safety as well as well as extended the LOp to fit me perfectly.

Trigger weights are approximately 4 front 4.5 rear

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: farshot]
      #119002 - 17/11/08 12:31 PM

only 30-40 rounds through mine and 1 time had a dd and it was my doing front trigger first slipped off hit trigger #2.470NE and i love it.i always wondered if i should of gotten the 500 but for me and what i want done the 470 is all i will ever need.now i want a merkel 12 gauge sxs.damn this double curse.want want want.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: bwananelson]
      #119006 - 17/11/08 01:02 PM

I have a Merkel 140-2 in .500NE. It's #3 of the .500 chambering. I have shot it 500-600 times full nitro. My only problem has been the safety coming on with the first shot. The recoil does it. I sent it back once to have it adjusted to prevent this, but it still would jar the safety on. Then I disassembled the rifle and tweaked the safety myself. Added spring tension to it. No more problems at all.

That was an aggravating problem. You shoot the front trigger, and then the rear won't go off because the safety has jarred on. But now there is no problem.

The rifle is superbly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Kicks like a mule, but fits well so no sharp pain. I have hunted white tail deer with it with success.

I like my Merkel .500NE. It is one hell of a rifle for the money. And I have best quality rifles to compare it to.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #119013 - 17/11/08 06:06 PM

Was quite happy with my 470NE to the point where I would perches another.
I fired right barrel first and only had one DD.
It did get a fine crack in the stock where it meets the action. Gunsmith epoxied it and no problems.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ozhunter]
      #119030 - 18/11/08 02:35 AM

Had a 140 in 470NE. Took it to Africa once and took one Elephant with it and a couple of Impala baits. Always used rear trigger first to eliminate doubles. Triggers were set at whatever the factory sets them at. Don't have any way to measure trigger pull and in the 50+ years of building and shooting rifles and pistols have NEVER known what the pull was. As long as they feel right they are right. At least to me. Have had zero problems with Merkels and currently own a 141 in 8x57R and am very happy with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #119107 - 19/11/08 12:58 AM

Had one couple of years ago---

usually shot right barrel first--never had a problem with doubling...or any other machanical problems..as Curl mentioned in his reply, for me, it did NOT fit well and kicked worse than any gun I have ever shot...that includes .577 nitro's, etc...

Think for the money, it is a great gun...actually have a sxs in 20 gauge shotgun that I love and use a lot..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Ripp]
      #119108 - 19/11/08 01:41 AM

I thank you all for your comments.
I personally believe they are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market.
Very well made ,well balanced and shoot well.

However in saying that we have run into a couple of minor problems with a particular rifle,one problem in particular is the rifle doubleing if the left barrel,back trigger is used first.
And the trigger weights were 4.5 lbs right and 11 lbs left barrel direct from the factory.
I am confident that the Australian agent will sort it out for me.

Al

--------------------

ftondrus
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/06
      #119220 - 20/11/08 08:35 AM

WE HAVE SUPER PRICING ON MERKEL EXTRACTOR RIFLES - SCROLL ENGRAVED $7,950 DELIVERED TO YOUR FFL DEALER. $1,000 MORE FOR GAME SCENE ENGRAVED WITH UPGRADE WOOD. CALL FOR DETAILS 440 275 1400
OR E MAIL DIRECT FTONDRUS@HOTMAIL.COM

20 @ DISCOUNT ON MERKEL SHOTGUNS TILL 12/31 /2008

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: farshot]
      #119347 - 23/11/08 06:55 AM

Quote:

470 NE Merkel 140, non-ejector- been to Africa twice and used well

Doubled while firing front trigger first after a hundred rounds or so from new.
repaired that, then would double 99% of the time when i used rear trigger first (normally it is front trigger first) - 3 visits to good double gunsmiths (here in Canada) who removed the front set trigger, repaced it with a non-set hinged trigger for my fat fingers because everyone thought it was my fault.

On the 3rd visit - a very small burr on an internal part was finally found to be the reason. Fires excellent and safely now.

I was worried because i love this rifle. BTW I removed the auto safety as well as well as extended the LOp to fit me perfectly.

Trigger weights are approximately 4 front 4.5 rear

Farshot, I have two Merkel double rifles, and have had zero problem with either! My first one was bought about 7 yrs ago, and is a 140E, a 9.3X74R ejector rifle, with a set trigger for the right barrel, and an auto safety, for which I disabled the "AUTO" part. I've never been able to understand the "AUTOSAFETY" crap on a double rifle. It makes no more sense that a bolt rifle that comes back on safety each time the bolt is cycled, just dumb.

First off, you must have a 140-1 that has had 470NE barrels made for it, because I have never seen a Merkel 140-2 with a set trigger for the right barrel, or an auto safety. The actions for the 140-1 has the largest chambering 9.3X74R, and the 140-2 which starts at 375 H&H, and ends up at 500NE, are the same action body, but the 140-2 has never, in my experience, come with a set trigger, or an autosafety, or untill lately ejectors. There is a reason for that! The recoil of the larger chamberings sets the right barrel off if the back trigger is fired first, and the chamberings are designed for dangerous game, and most such rifles never have an auto safety.

The little Merkel 141 rifles, built on the 28 ga size action, top out at the 9.3X74R level, and have auto safeties, and are available with ejectors like the 140-1, , or ( 140"E" which is ejectors) built on the 20 ga size.

The new 140-2 Ejector rifles (375H&H through 500NE) are monoblocked as well, instead of being shoelump like all the other Merkel S/S double rifles. This is not bad, just different.

IMO, the Merkel double rifles are value for money, and are as strong as a bank vault!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ftondrus
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/06
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #119654 - 28/11/08 12:59 PM

i owned a merkel 470 bought new about 2001 that came with a single set trigger on the right trigger.

it functioned flawlessly and never gave any trouble.

it did not have an auto safety.

anyone having trouble with a merkel should promptly contact merkel to arrange repairs. they stand behind their guns.

tom ondrus - the merkel man

sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ftondrus]
      #123679 - 11/01/09 06:55 AM

Fired my Merkel 140-A (375H&H) at the range prior to moose season. No problem with a box of ammo. Then, while double checking the zero at a stump, doubled and split my forehead an inch. Ended that trip!
That was the end of the season, and haven't been to the range yet. I think I'll load one bbl at a time to see if it doubles on me.( I fired the front trigger first I think.) If so, Its going for repair! Anybody know if Merkel guarantees these rifles for life? Its a gorgeous rifle, my favorite. But I'm ugly enough, and don't need help from my rifles!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: sako300]
      #123680 - 11/01/09 07:06 AM

Quote:

Anybody know if Merkel guarantees these rifles for life? Its a gorgeous rifle, my favorite. But I'm ugly enough, and don't need help from my rifles!

In this case, I'm sure they would as long as there hasn't been any prior work done to the triggers that would take it out of warranty.

I'm sorry to hear of your incident. I'd be very depressed if anything like that happened to my Merkel.

--------------------

herrdoktor
.275 member

Reged: 03/08/07
Loc: Spain
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #123782 - 12/01/09 03:54 AM

I have a 9,3x74R Merkel 150 (boxlock with side plates), it has fired 300-400 rounds. Three years ago the rifle doubled twice the same day with the right trigger. I sent the rifle to my gunsmith, and the trouble was a little burr in the left sear that prevented full engagement. A touch with the file/stone and no more problems up to this day.
The rifle arrived with a very heavy trigger pull (6-7 pounds in the right, more than 10 in the left), so my gunsmith lightened it to 3 and 4 pounds.
No more troubles, shoots fine, 2" or less at 100 yards with GPA ammunition.

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
      #124296 - 17/01/09 09:04 AM

Always fired right barrel first, never fired left first
rifle was VERY accurate
recoil was less with 86 gr RX 15 with filler then with H 4831
installed mercury tube and recoil pad
never any trouble with rifle, it was really first class
trigger pulls were excessively heavy, just got used to it

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: gei]
      #136878 - 07/06/09 04:57 PM

My Merkel 140-2 is chambered in 500 NE. Took it to Africa last year. Great rifle. About 2 months ago, I let a friend shoot it. It doubled on him. I loaded the right barrel only to check it myself. Did not double. Took it to the range today and fired right and left twice while standing with sticks. Put the rifle on a lead sled to get a good idea of regulation. Rifle doubled 3 times in a row off the lead sled. Contacted the vendor I bought it from. He will be sending it for repair on Monday but says Merkel will stand by it. I hope so as I love this gun. I'll report back after the repair. Good shooting.

JACKP
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: North Carolina
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: HogPilot]
      #136883 - 07/06/09 10:29 PM

This is a very interesting thread.

I'm assuming the Merkel Double Rifles have over hanging sears like the shotguns.
It has always been my belief that the over hanging sears prevented doubling. Is doubling common with most doubles, or just Merkels?

I've never worked on the rifle but I had the stock off a shotgun yesterday and it looks to me like the sears would be forced deeper into engagement under recoil rather that out.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: JACKP]
      #136887 - 07/06/09 11:29 PM

Doubling is common by most boxlock double rifle's, not only by Merkel, and the problem are the sears or the trigger's! The gunmaker's have alway's a explication, but our problem is the very hard recoil by the big bore double's!

merkel141
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/09
Loc: Halifax NS Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: zimhunter]
      #136895 - 08/06/09 01:07 AM

Zimhunter
I too have a merkel 141 in 8x57IRS. I have mine for black bear, moose & deer on the East Coast Of Canada. So far I like the little rifle but have had it one season and only shot one buck with it. The rifle worked very well. I would like too know what you use your DR for? Pro & cons of the 8x57 round? Do you handload for it? If so what recipe works for you. Do you use Norma Oryx ammo? If so how does it preform on game?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: grandveneur]
      #136898 - 08/06/09 02:49 AM

Quote:

Doubling is common by most boxlock double rifle's, not only by Merkel, and the problem are the sears or the trigger's! The gunmaker's have alway's a explication, but our problem is the very hard recoil by the big bore double's!

No, No, No, No. This is not correct.

Most Boxlocks do not Double. It is a rare occurance for a good boxlock to double for any reason other than shooter error.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: mickey]
      #137169 - 12/06/09 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, No, No, No. This is not correct.

Most Boxlocks do not Double. It is a rare occurance for a good boxlock to double for any reason other than shooter error.

I absolutely agree! I have owned at least a dozen boxlock double rifles of about every maker, and I have never had a DD except when wet finger slipped off the front trigger, and hit the back trigger. I have two Merkel double rifle today, and have zero trouble with any aspect with these rifles. #1 is a 140E, 9.3X74R that I have had for alomst ten years with not one problem, #2 is a 140-2, 470NE , and I have had this rifle for 4 yrs, and the previous owner had it a 3 yrs, with no problems. The first owner of the 470NE double took it to Africa twice, took two elephant, and three buffalo with it, and I have shot, and hunted with it a bunch in North America, I have yet to take the 470NE t0 Africa, but the 9.3X74R has been three times,takeing two buffalo and a fine eland, one shot each.

The triggers on my 470NE double is 4# for the front trigger, and 4.5# for the back trigger trigger pull. The 9.3 double has 4.5# for both triggers!

Both rifles are very accurate, and are built like a bank vault! Very good rifles for the price. and the only mods needed on them is a recoil pad, and that allows you to adjust the length of pull while installing the recoil pad!

.......................Value for money spent, IMO!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 27348

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com