Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Softs and solids

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
Softs and solids
      #118483 - 07/11/08 02:36 PM

Can some folks that have been to Africa after Cape Buffalo in the last year ot two, tell me what they used. Just softs or soft/solid combination.

Have read where the use of solids is not as necessary as it once was with the quality of controlled expansion soft point hunting bullets available now.

Thanks

controlled_feed

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Softs and solids [Re: controlled_feed]
      #118489 - 07/11/08 04:32 PM

Never been to Africa, but I have accounted for an Asian water buffalo or two over the years. At this point, I have never fired a solid at a buffalo. I believe your observation about modern premium bullets is correct, especially the bonded-core softs like Woodleighs.

I Africa though, solids for follow-up shots may be advisable in certain circumstances, but for the first shot on buffalo I believe a premium soft-point would be the best.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Softs and solids [Re: Marrakai]
      #118491 - 07/11/08 05:10 PM

I have been using Woodleighs and Swift A Frames for some time now with my self and a few friends taking a few Cape buff with both.
IMO,
Woodleigh Solids are great from 9.3mm on up.
Woodleigh Softs are good from .40cal on up.
Swifts A Frames are great for Heavy game like Eland and Buffalo.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Softs and solids [Re: ozhunter]
      #118538 - 08/11/08 10:43 AM

That's absoluty right! On buffalo use FMJ bullets or solids by small calibers( 9,3 , 375H&H ) and premium SP bullets up. But only FMJ or solids for elefant!!!

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Softs and solids [Re: grandveneur]
      #118540 - 08/11/08 10:53 AM

Quote:

That's absoluty right! On buffalo use FMJ bullets or solids by small calibers( 9,3 , 375H&H ) and premium SP bullets up. But only FMJ or solids for elefant!!!

I would not agree. I would always use a good SP for an initial heart/lung shot on a buff with a medium, and proberbly for the second as well. It will give greater arterial damage. I might keep a solid at the bottom of the mag, but as I would not consider 9.3 or 375 as stopping rifles, then by the time you get to use it, if necessary when TSHTF, the PH will have killed it anyway.

As I do not think that it is wise to go after an Ele' with a medium, then I see no use for solids in a medium for modern guided hunting situations.

Regards

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Softs and solids [Re: Bramble]
      #118541 - 08/11/08 10:58 AM

For buffalo hunting or elefant hunting?

grandveneur
.400 member

#118544 - 08/11/08 11:37 AM

The most of the buffalos and the elefants are hunted in Africa with rifles caliber 375H&H and FMJ or solid bullets !!! My opinion, 375H&H is marginal for big game hunting and oftens you need help from your PH!!! I know the problem because i used calibers between 9,3 and .500 for buffalo hunting in Africa and Asia. Now i use a 460WM with SP bullets for buffalos and a 12,7x70 Schüler or a 577NE with FMJ bullets for elefants!

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #118552 - 08/11/08 02:25 PM

Thanks for teh comments.

I imagine I will be driven to some extent by what the outfitter wants in relation to projectiles. I don't see it as wise, if they stipulate softs and solids and show up with only softs.

controlled_feed

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #118554 - 08/11/08 02:37 PM

I shot an old daggaboy in the Zambezi Valley at 30-40 yards with a .458 lott using a 500 grain Swift A-Frame at around 2150 fps. He turned to run away and I hit him beside the tail with a 500 Hornady Dangerous Game Solid. He ran 50 yards and crashed into some jess and bellowed. I paid the insurance with one more solid. The solid I put beside his tail was recovered near his neck. Later in the hunt I shot a big bull hippo on an island in the Zambezi. I shot him at a few paces with a frontal Solid which destroyed the brain and about 40 inches of spine. He got another solid in a side brain insurance payment. I personally would use the same bullets again without hesitation. I used Swift A-Frames of 300 grains on the rest of my plains game with outstanding results. IMHO a soft point is fine for the first shot on a buffalo, but solids from there on out. If in an area where dangerous game is present, I keep a couple of solids in the bottom of the magazine just in case. Better safe than dead.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Softs and solids [Re: bigmaxx]
      #118562 - 08/11/08 05:03 PM

If hunting an area such as the Zambezi valley of Zimbabwe which has a high population of Ele that are being shot.
One should be prepared for any eventuality. Self defense shooting at charging Ele are on the rise. Just in the lower Zambezi Safari areas this year alone had more than nine incidence.
Solids might save your ass or the PHs..
And don't tell me that its the PHs job. I have met many PHs who say they where extremely lucky not to have been squashed in recent attacks , sometimes being prevented by the client, sometimes just plain old luck.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Softs and solids [Re: bigmaxx]
      #118566 - 08/11/08 06:49 PM

First shot is very important!!! I saw a lot of different situation: a buffalo down with one shot of a 9,3x64 / 19g Brenneke TUG bullet!!! and a buffalo running away after 2 shots of a 500 Jeffery / 535gr.FMJ bullet!!! But when you are unsteady use solids in all calibers!

Bramble
.375 member

#118735 - 12/11/08 09:08 AM

The question was about Buff, not Ele or others.

Quote:

But when you are unsteady use solids in all calibers!

When you are unsteady, don't go dangerous game hunting. In fact don't hunt anything until you can shoot properly.

Quote "Solids might save your ass or the PHs..
And don't tell me that its the PHs job. I have met many PHs who say they where extremely lucky not to have been squashed in recent attacks , sometimes being prevented by the client, sometimes just plain old luck. End quote.

Again respectfully we were not discussing Ele. I dident and don't advocate SP's for Ele. But then again I wouldent shoot one with a 375 either.
Most people shoot a BA rifle. My reasoning is this. They have 2 or three softs above a solid. If they have failed to stop a buff with those softs, given usually that at least the first shot is undisterbed and often off sticks, then by the time they work their way to the soild then they are fucked anyway and the fate of the hunt will rest with the PH.
If you carry a double then yes, soft/solid and use the appropriate barrel for the angle and atonomical area. Those on this forum that have shot large game with me know, that I will keep shooting until it goes down, even if, as 2 days ago, it was dead on its feet.

Quote "The most of the buffalos and the elefants are hunted in Africa with rifles caliber 375H&H and FMJ or solid bullets !!! " End quote

Really.

Regards

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #118756 - 12/11/08 07:58 PM

No cape buffalo experience, only Aussie buff and wild bulls.
I prefer solids, as IMO they are the only bullet that can do the job from any angle, on animals of that size.
In my experience bulls don't always present themselves for ideal softpoint use.
I'd hate to have to pass up a shot or lose a wounded animal due to having a softpoint in the chamber when it should have been a solid.

ozhunter
.400 member

#118760 - 12/11/08 09:59 PM

Quote:

The question was about Buff, not Ele or others

Again respectfully we were not discussing Ele. I dident and don't advocate SP's for Ele. But then again I wouldent shoot one with a 375 either.
Most people shoot a BA rifle. My reasoning is this. They have 2 or three softs above a solid. If they have failed to stop a buff with those softs, given usually that at least the first shot is undisterbed and often off sticks, then by the time they work their way to the soild then they are fucked anyway and the fate of the hunt will rest with the PH.
If you carry a double then yes, soft/solid and use the appropriate barrel for the angle and atonomical area. Those on this forum that have shot large game with me know, that I will keep shooting until it goes down, even if, as 2 days ago, it was dead on its feet.

Really.

Regards

My point is that a lot of people are hunting Buffalo in Elephant country and being attacked is a possibility that I feel one should be prepared for.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Softs and solids [Re: ozhunter]
      #118763 - 12/11/08 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really.

Regards

My point is that a lot of people are hunting Buffalo in Elephant country and being attacked is a possibility that I feel one should be prepared for.

++++++++++++++

Totally agree with Ozhunter--Having hunted the Zambezi this year-agree---personally, I would NEVER hunt there without solids in my rifle, period. Was only there 3 weeks and had numerous incidences with elephants being really pissed off.

As to the original question on what I used on buff...personally, I use A-frames for the first shot..and followed it up with hand loaded Barnes solids...used that same combo on 3 buff with great results...punched on up the south side of a north bound buff..on exited the front shoulder and the other was lodged in his neck...amazing performance and penentration..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Softs and solids [Re: Ripp]
      #118769 - 13/11/08 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really.

Regards

++++++++++++++

Totally agree with Ozhunter--Having hunted the Zambezi this year-agree---personally, I would NEVER hunt there without solids in my rifle, period. Was only there 3 weeks and had numerous incidences with elephants being really pissed off.

As to the original question on what I used on buff...personally, I use A-frames for the first shot..and followed it up with hand loaded Barnes solids...used that same combo on 3 buff with great results...punched on up the south side of a north bound buff..on exited the front shoulder and the other was lodged in his neck...amazing performance and penentration..

Ripp

And my point is that a 375 is not enough gun if there is a real posibility of being deliberatly attacked by pissed off elephant bent upon that course of action of its own volition having not been attacked itself. Softs or solids notwithstanding.
I totally agree that the solids would be a better bet in that situation than softs, but most tourist hunters could not shoot well enough in that situation to make the outcome anyway certain. A slap in the face from a 450 class rifle might turn it, even badly placed, but I wouldent bet my lilly white skin on a 375/9.3 doing the job.
I am quite happy to accept Ripp that you could get off the first round in the mag (your A frame) cycle the bolt and get the following solid into a charging Ele' but I would bet my house that you are in a 1% minority of hunters. The vast majority would be pissing in their pants and lucky to hit the big gray thing with the single round.
The shoot/no shoot decision in that situation is in the vast majority of cases going to be made by the PH who will be hanging a bead on it to see if it is a bluff charge.
IMHO if the first round in, is not that of the PH, then he wasent doing his job.
If one however says that it shold be all solids in a medium for buff in case of an unexpected Ele, then I would expect a lot of wounded buff by the average hunters and a lot of finishing up by the PH's. The majority will not put a solid where it counts and need the expansion for tissue damage.

Regards

Indy
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/04
      #118898 - 15/11/08 02:52 PM

I used a .458 soft point for the first shot followed by three solids in the magazine. I think that's pretty common. The reasoning is that one's first shot will be from the side or front but subsequent shots might be "Texas heart shots," which must penetrate farther to reach vital areas.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Softs and solids [Re: Indy]
      #118914 - 15/11/08 06:41 PM

A good classic combination for this cartridge! That's right, the first shot is very important and the side shot is the best for all game. For all people, read the book THE PERFECT SHOT, shot placement on African game, and the opinion of a PH about SP/Solid bullets!

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #119348 - 23/11/08 07:21 AM

Quote:

Can some folks that have been to Africa after Cape Buffalo in the last year ot two, tell me what they used. Just softs or soft/solid combination.

Have read where the use of solids is not as necessary as it once was with the quality of controlled expansion soft point hunting bullets available now.

Thanks

controlled_feed

C_F, I normally hunt cape Buffalo with a S/S double rifle! That gives you an instant choice of soft or solid, for the first shot. I carry my rifle with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left. The first shot if the buff is not excited,and the angle allows it, is always a soft, unless the angle is wrong. Then for the first shot I may re-load the right barrel with a solid for that first shot, if say, the bull is standing faceing away, and a rear shot is all I have. That solid will reach up into the boiler-room from just about any angle from a 470NE.

When hunting with a bolt rifle, I load the magazine with solids, and the chamber with a quality soft. That one is also easy to change out to a solid as well, by simply opening tha bolt and tradeing out for the solid.

In both types of rifle I'm set with a soft for the first shot, but if need be I can change! After the first shot, no matter which is used for the first shot, all the following shots are solids!

I don't hunt elephant, but I would not attempt to use a soft on an ele, for any reason, other than in self defence, and that I had no other choice! For ELEPHANT, use good soilds, PERIOD!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Indy
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/04
Re: Softs and solids [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #121144 - 14/12/08 09:05 AM

I used a 450 grain Barnes TSX for the first shot followed by 450 grain North Fork flat point solids for the remaining three. Handloaded to 2250 fps in a .458 Winchester.

There is some opinion that with the Barnes TSX you don't need any solids for follow on shots on buffalo. I disagree.

One of the reasons why softs are recommended for the first shot is that a solid might pass through and hit an unseen buff on the other side. I think the TSX would pass through on a side shot unless it hit bone.

ozhunter
.400 member

#121173 - 14/12/08 06:32 PM

Quote:

I used a 450 grain Barnes TSX for the first shot followed by 450 grain North Fork flat point solids for the remaining three. Handloaded to 2250 fps in a .458 Winchester.

There is some opinion that with the Barnes TSX you don't need any solids for follow on shots on buffalo. I disagree.

One of the reasons why softs are recommended for the first shot is that a solid might pass through and hit an unseen buff on the other side. I think the TSX would pass through on a side shot unless it hit bone.

I think your combo of calibre, weight and type of bullets is great for buffalo, in particularly Duggerboys out of the herd.
Carrying an extra soft like a Woodleigh would be good if you find a suitable target amongst a herd.

grandveneur
.400 member

#121181 - 14/12/08 10:46 PM

The problem is, a lot of premium soft bullets go through the buffalo's ! I saw that oftens with my 460WM. Better is you dont shoot when you have bad condition! First shot placement is very important, soft or solid is dependent of the cartridge that you use, the opinion of your PH,your experience,the weather,the color of the eyes of your wife.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5575

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com