Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: get the goose!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
greghud
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: top end, oz
get the goose!
      #118212 - 03/11/08 12:15 PM

hi,
new to the forum so i will post up a couple of storys from hunting up the top end.

With the onset of the build-up across the top end as the humidity rises, the mangos come to fruit, people start getting irritable and snappy and the season opens for waterfowl!
I was driving past the department of where you go to get a permit to hunt stuff (Natural Resources, Environment, The Arts and Sport. what a mouthful!) and had a spare 10min so thought bugger it, I will pick up my permit for the season.
I was soon on my way $20 poorer and with papers in hand. And found myself driving past the local cop shop. I thought bugger it im gonna go get a PTA so I can get an over under for the purpose.
I was soon on my way $15 poorer and in a few days I had the papers in hand. I had not decided what shotty I would get but I wanted a good one (for my budget) and so did the rounds of the local gun shops. Nothing really stood out, but I was in no hurry, the season was another 2 weeks away and I had a pig-hunting trip on so I figure I would leave it till after I was back.
A phone call out of the blue came from jb to ask weather I wanted a good shotty cheap, but it needed to be a quick sale. The seller was to join the army on the Monday and I was not to be back from the pig hunt until Saturday!
We meet up and it just sat perfectly against the shoulder, a Fanchie harrier deluxe. The length of pull could have been a little longer but I thought this would do.
I fitted a Pachmeyer decelerator and it was perfect. Off to get a goose!

I had a chat to Marrakai during the week but as he was busy, my brother, Marrakai and myself would have to take on the weekend warriors and headed out on Sunday morning to Harrison Dam. (One of the spots permitted on the waterfowl permit.)
We moved into position well away from the crowd just before first light and watched as the birds moved about.
Unfortunately with the activity from other shooters combined with the beautiful clear weather the geese were travelling just short of the ozone layer. We did manage a good feed by picking up a few strays that moved across to low, but not exactly exciting stuff.

Now word is that Marrakai has a top notch Cajun goose recipe that we had to try so we headed back to his place for a sampler. I also got to try “giblets” for the first time, quite tasty!
Laurie decided that a mid week reconnaissance exercise was needed to see if we could get a better spot and see if the birds are flying at a better hight without the other hunters about.
I also noticed that the birds seemed to veer off when they came close to me and must have seen me, as they got close. So for the first time since I was about 8 I got “cammed up”
We succeeded, the shooting was better as we were the only ones for miles, I could stand up in the clear and the birds flew right at me only veering off when I started shooting.
We collected our bag and headed home happy campers.

More trips to come as the rain starts.
Greg

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: get the goose! [Re: greghud]
      #118219 - 03/11/08 02:57 PM

Hey Greg:
Whaddya doing tomorrow morning?

...early!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

greghud
.224 member

Re: get the goose! [Re: Marrakai]
      #118225 - 03/11/08 05:43 PM

the boss gave the nod......... were on!!!!!
greg

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #118226 - 03/11/08 07:22 PM

welcome greg

cheers

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #118300 - 04/11/08 04:48 PM

Quote:

We collected our bag and headed home happy campers.

Well done Greg and co. Some lovely magpie geese. I have been to the Top End several times over the years, and always wanted to get a goose (or two) but yet have always come home empty handed. Even when it was actually goose season too!

One day ...

Photos look good, and a fun weekend.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

greghud
.224 member

Re: get the goose! [Re: NitroX]
      #118307 - 04/11/08 07:27 PM

Quote:

always wanted to get a goose (or two) but yet have always come home empty handed. Even when it was actually goose season too!

you gotta be going to the wrong spot!
with permision slip in hand from the boss we headed out this morning. marrakai bagged out i fell one short, but the fridge is looking good!!!!!
greg

--------------------

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #119519 - 26/11/08 09:42 AM

This is my second best day. Taken at Harrisons on a lone morning hunt (I love the mornings)

And even the pups get a share

And this is my BEST day's goose hunting. My eldest boy with his first geese.

I have 4 more shifts to do then I get a few days off to squeeze in a hunt. After that I'm off to Queensland to live and won't get another goose season

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#119535 - 26/11/08 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

always wanted to get a goose (or two) but yet have always come home empty handed. Even when it was actually goose season too!

you gotta be going to the wrong spot!
with permision slip in hand from the boss we headed out this morning. marrakai bagged out i fell one short, but the fridge is looking good!!!!!
greg

Greg,

Sometimes. A combination of factors.

Out of season timing is one.

Another time was near the coast before the season, lots of geese, but during the season was inland and where we were dry and only a few ducks.

One time we were on a paradise of a property with wetlands filled with untold thousands of ducks, waterfowl and geese. The sky darkened when they flew up. Could have shot a bag limit by just shooting a shell into the air. We were hunting pigs but the owner said no waterfowl! He bought a second property so I tried to interest him in letting hunters hunt waterfowl there, keeping the other as a 'reserve'. Haven't gone back.

Last trip, was in season, even bought a hunting permit (!), went to Harrisons Dam with Bakes. Some birds around, a few shots, but no luck that trip. That's the way it goes.

I want to get one full mounted one day as a trophy goose.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: get the goose! [Re: Bakes]
      #119538 - 26/11/08 03:04 PM

Quote:

This is my second best day. Taken at Harrisons on a lone morning hunt (I love the mornings)

Well done Bakes. Looks good.

I love the dawn wetland hunts too. Usually more productive as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: get the goose! [Re: NitroX]
      #119550 - 26/11/08 09:22 PM

There was a delightful dawn fog out on the floodplain on Sunday morning, first one I've seen for ages. Really sets the mood....

Bart and I still managed to get our limit on geese though!!

--------------------
Marrakai

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: get the goose! [Re: Marrakai]
      #119553 - 26/11/08 10:35 PM

We had one when the young fella got his geese. Almost looks coolish.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: get the goose! [Re: Bakes]
      #121772 - 21/12/08 11:03 PM

Well the season has probably just ended for me, with more of a whimper than a bang!

I will be busy this week and caught up with family obligations Christmas to New Year, so I snuck out to the swamp yesterday for a 'last hurrah'.

It was risky as we are in the middle of a serious monsoon at the moment as a result of Cyclone Billy to our south-west. Although I checked the 128km weather radar at 5am and reckoned I had the next 'gap' timed perfectly, I arrived at Harrison Dam in the middle of a tropical down-pour seemingly without end. I grabbed another hour's shut-eye in the cab of the Landrover before it finally eased, and by about 7am the weather lifted. Only one other party had braved the elements, Col McT_ and his mates, who headed along the wall while I sloshed out across the floodplain to the north-east.

Very few birds were flying, but I could hear geese honking on the wind so plodded hopefully on. Soon I reached a point where an air-boat would be needed to continue, but the birds were still a kilometre away across the 'inland sea'. A few whistle-ducks were starting to move around though, and by heading back towards the dam slowly and taking up positions behind the odd bush I was able to bag three for 5 shots, including a very satisfying right-and-left on a lone pair.

Cooked one up for dinner last night, but ate most of it for lunch today. Marvellous.

The season continues till the Sunday after Christmas, so I hope the weather improves and a few birds start flighting again for those with more time on their hands than me.

--------------------
Marrakai

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4134

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com