Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 Gauge Bank Guard Shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
12 Gauge Bank Guard Shotgun
      #117978 - 31/10/08 03:53 AM

When I was a kid in the 60's I recall when banks had a guard at the door sitting in an old creaky wooden chair and he'd have a single shot very short barreled shotgun. Last year I was at Syracuse NY gun show and two of the booths had a "bank guard shotgun" like I saw as a kid in the 1960's. Unfortunatley I never got the make and model of these guns at the show but they were the same maker, of that I am sure. One gun was in pretty good condition and the other one was a wall hanger. But these guns were made the same and came this way from the factory: Single shot, 12 gauge, 18-20 inch barrel, unique way of cracking the barrel. Does anyone know anything about these guns.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 12 Gauge Bank Guard Shotgun [Re: Yogi000]
      #117980 - 31/10/08 04:06 AM

Yogi:

Are you saying they were a specific model or had the Bank Guard or some such logo or something stamped on them? Like a run by H&R for that purpose or something like that?

I remember working at the gun store. We had a number of "hot" {loaded} shotguns, all chopped Winchester 97's hidden about the place in the event of a robbery. Located near Detroit, this was a possibility of course, and some years after I left, the place was indeed robbed. Last I heard the robbers lost.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: 12 Gauge Bank Guard Shotgun [Re: 9.3x57]
      #117986 - 31/10/08 05:16 AM

Yeah, I am saying there was some manufacturer that made guns for such purpose. Now, I do NOT think it was stamped "Bank Guard Gun", but I do know that at BOTH booths I stopped at that had the same gun they BOTH said the purpose of the gun was "as made by the manufacurer" was for banks and wells fargo guards... BOTH said the same thing... And BEFORE they told me anything when I saw the GUNS I said--"Wow, this looks exactly like the guns I saw the bank guards carry when I was a kid in the 1960's".... Both gun guys said they thought the guns were used from the 40's to the 60's. Single barrel 12 gauge, funny way of opening the barrel, very short barrel, very dark almost black finish.

9.3x57
.450 member

#118002 - 31/10/08 12:17 PM

I don't know what it was.

Ithaca made a pistol-gripped double with 10 and 12 inch bbls called the "Auto and Burglar" for a while right before GCA34 stopped them {GCA34, a Democrat-administration Gun Control measure that initiated gun registration and truly stripped Americans of the Right to Bear the only arms that matter...}.

Anyway, check this out pretty interesting. Haven't read it yet but it looks worth printing:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/puckett/MillerShotgun.pdf

By the way, a few years ago I bought a cheap H&R 12 gauge shotgun from K-Mart. It was actually stamped "Marlin".

Anyway, I started lopping it off from the original 28 inch bbl and then when it reached about 20 inches, swapped the standard butt for a youth butt. That flyweight tipped the scales at about 4 1/2 lbs and would plumb wake you up and put you to sleep again when you sent a 3" mag charge of #1 buck down range! Wow...

Anyhow, I carried it along on elk hunts on a sling and shot some grouse, then decided to let the hacksaw go again. I stopped at 18 or so inches to be TOTALLY legal {due to the slightly shorter youth stock to make OAL legal}.

Unmitigated bad news. The patterns with grouse loads literally evaporated, with huge gaps and "holes" in them. I shot "at" two grouse with that gun and watched the shot strike all around the bird {sitting on the ground} and then watched the bird fly off to parts unknown. I then patterned the gun and found out why. clumps of shot were all I got. Why? Who knows.

I stuck the adult stock back on it {handy to have a youth stock around} and sold the gun.

Even with the "bad-length" barrel on it, at bank teller distances it would have been fairly decisive to be sure.

{BTW: Yogi, yer all right. Keep reading on 'Bama, mull it over and pull the "Mc" lever when you are in the booth on Tuesday. 'Nuff said from me. }

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Yogi000
.333 member

#118038 - 01/11/08 12:36 AM

sorry it is NOT a double. It is a SINGLE barrel. And as I said I saw two of them with my own eyes last year at Syracuse NY Gun Show.

And the barrel was not shorter than 18 inches.

These single barreled guns were supposedly used by Wells fargo and bank Guards from 1940's to 1960's APPROXIMATELY.

9.3x57
.450 member

#118041 - 01/11/08 01:33 AM

Very sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the post, just add to the general theme of short-barrel protection shotguns {up to 20 inches or so} of which I have an interest also.

Sounds like the ACTION type you saw was not a simple break-top?

Can you describe that part a bit?

--------------------

Yogi000
.333 member

#118043 - 01/11/08 01:45 AM

The single barrel Bank Guard 12 gauges I saw broke in the basic same way as the standard ones do, but the receiver---if I recall correctly---had a ring on one side and the overall shape was slightly more rounded than a typical and yes there was something about the actual pivot that struck me as not common. I wish I could be more specific but I need to see one or a picture of one again.

And as I said, BOTH gun dealers said these guns were made from the manufacturer for Guards. So anyone who has one or knows the story will know exactly the gun I am trying to find. I only wish now that I had bought the one that was in good condition. It was around $300. Ever have one of these gun quests just drive ya crazy??!!!

9.3x57
.450 member

#118047 - 01/11/08 02:06 AM

Gotcha.

I know there was a Stevens 311 "Guard Gun" {actual model of the gun} but you are looking for a single barrel.

So far, no dice, but I'll keep the eyes peeled.

--------------------

Yogi000
.333 member

#118051 - 01/11/08 02:44 AM

Thank you.

Like I said sometimes you see something and loose the info then go crazy trying to find it again!!!

I can still remember the first day I went in the bank with my mother. I was in awe of this Gold Dome Bank with incredible ornate marble work and ceilings that looked like they belonged in a Church and I looked over and saw the guard with this single big fat round barreled shotgun that looked like you could crawl in and sleep in that thing.

When I saw the same guns at that gun show I almost fell over. Too bad I didn't at least write the information down!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3137

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com