Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger .416 shorty....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Isopeura
.224 member

Reged: 01/06/08
Loc: Finland
Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #124928 - 23/01/09 09:29 AM

My idea here is not to disregard .416 Ruger or .375 Ruger. They are good cartridges but they are not perfect (what is?). I think that there is no other logical reason to bring new "above .30" caliber cartridges than to reduce the number of rifle actions needed to house the big cartridges...

It would be interesting to see how well these cartridges are accepted among working men. I think that Ruger alone doesn't have enough international following to break through as "the rifle" for dangerous game and I seriously doubt that other manufacturers will chamber Ruger cartridges.

If you look at the action lengh alone, one might ask "why use .458 Lott when there is shorter and more efficient .458 Win around?". Reason is that Lott is more efficient in many ways. It operates with less pressure, it is easier to make feed properly and it delivers the needed power more easily. My point is this: why make a long action if it's not long enough? My idea of short action is .308 length action. Long action can house .375 H&H and such - just to remind, .375 H&H is originally built around Mauser 98. This one is certainly a standard lenght action by any measure. It is only Ruger that is suffering from this size issue as Winchester and Remington can both handle .375 in their "long" actions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #124932 - 23/01/09 10:59 AM

Balistics quite aside.

The way I see it is that you can fuck a pretty girl in a cheep motel,..Or you can fuck her on the satin sheets of a penthouse suite at the Park Lane Hilton.

At the end of the day pussy's pussy, but it is a hell of a classier ride.

Regards

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Bramble]
      #124943 - 23/01/09 01:37 PM

Quote:

Balistics quite aside.

The way I see it is that you can fuck a pretty girl in a cheep motel,..Or you can fuck her on the satin sheets of a penthouse suite at the Park Lane Hilton.

At the end of the day pussy's pussy, but it is a hell of a classier ride.

Regards

Agree totally...my statements regarding the Rigby were "tongue in cheek"..no pun intended.. --

The Ruger RSM in my opinion was brought to market as Bill Ruger wanted to see the 416 revived and selected the 416Rigby over the 416Taylor ... its a heavy action and way too expensive in 375H&H ... especially in Australia. If Ruger introduced the 505Gibbs and/or 500Jeffery ... then the RSM would have a purpose. (quote)
+++++

As to the Rigby, if memory serves me correctly, Ruger started offering the Rigby after Remington come out with their own round...soon after you had Ruger offering the Rigby and Weatherby with their own 416 which come out shortly after the Remington as well...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Ripp]
      #124946 - 23/01/09 01:48 PM

Quote:

As to the Rigby, if memory serves me correctly, Ruger started offering the Rigby after Remington come out with their own round...soon after you had Ruger offering the Rigby and Weatherby with their own 416 which come out shortly after the Remington as well...

Yes.

Maybe a kneejerk on Ruger's part in hindsight as you say, the action required by the Rigby is a big one.

As for pure practicality regardless of action length, it is hard for me to see how the .416 Remington can be beat.

Having said that, the .416 Ruger looks like a sort-of .40 Adolph Express/Newton and is as such a great cartridge.

What is the mag capacity of .416 Remington vs. Ruger rounds?

The Remington version on a SAKO AV/III should hold 4 rounds like my .375 does. What about the .416 Ruger? Rigby Mausers are 3-in-mag, are they not?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #124952 - 23/01/09 02:18 PM

On my 2 .416 Rem's one in Mauser type action other in Remington--on the Rem custom-- I put 1 in the pipe and 3 in the clip...

On the Ruger website it shows capacity of 3--in looking at the new Ruger's--one thing I do like is the short carbine type rifle which, for working close in on dangerous game..might be quite handy...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (23/01/09 02:23 PM)

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #124956 - 23/01/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

Ripp

Ripp,
I think the surprise was that Remington brought the first American 416 rifle to the commercial market. Ruger had been implicated in 416's for awhile as had Winchester ... Ruger had looked at and chambered 416Taylors as per the articles written by Ken Waters. Allegedly the inability to get an ammunition manufacturer to follow stopped Ruger with the Taylor. Winchester had also looked at the 416Taylor and Ken Howell's creation ... the 416Howell. George Hoffman's 416Hoffman must have caught Remington's attention on the quiet. That they were the first was the biggest surprise I suppose.

The 416Ruger rifle I think will be quite popular as it's a great package as a whole ... dual crossbolts, open sights and semi-traditional looks, 416Rigby equivalent speeds, lighter and trimmer than a CZ ... neat idea.
Cheers...
Con

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Con]
      #124974 - 24/01/09 12:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,
I think the surprise was that Remington brought the first American 416 rifle to the commercial market. Ruger had been implicated in 416's for awhile as had Winchester ... Ruger had looked at and chambered 416Taylors as per the articles written by Ken Waters. Allegedly the inability to get an ammunition manufacturer to follow stopped Ruger with the Taylor. Winchester had also looked at the 416Taylor and Ken Howell's creation ... the 416Howell. George Hoffman's 416Hoffman must have caught Remington's attention on the quiet. That they were the first was the biggest surprise I suppose.

The 416Ruger rifle I think will be quite popular as it's a great package as a whole ... dual crossbolts, open sights and semi-traditional looks, 416Rigby equivalent speeds, lighter and trimmer than a CZ ... neat idea.
Cheers...
Con

Agree--it did take the industry by surprise with Remington introducing the .416..as for myself, really glad they did..like that one quite a bit..but like several others as well...375, 458, Ultra-mags, 204, 220 swift, 257 Weatherby,..etc.....

As for the .416, really do feel it will be a winner early on..ready an article by another magazine where the author restocked it as he was not happy with the "sticky" feel of the current Hogue factory one..think I would probably do the same thing along with changing out the safety --too small and unhandy in my opinion...but overall, think it will be a very handy close range weapon..

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #124992 - 24/01/09 03:52 AM

The new Ruger gets my approval too. I took two Rugers to Zimbabwe last year and they performed exceptionally well. I also like the affordability factor. My Hawkeye African was under 800.00 new. I love the old time tested calibers, but I would rather spend my money hunting rather than purchasing overpriced rifles. Dont get me wrong, if I could afford them I would have Rigby Doubles and Holland and Hollands. I cant afford them so I hunt. The choice is a no brainer for me.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: bigmaxx]
      #125018 - 24/01/09 12:36 PM

Quote:

The new Ruger gets my approval too. I took two Rugers to Zimbabwe last year and they performed exceptionally well. I also like the affordability factor. My Hawkeye African was under 800.00 new. I love the old time tested calibers, but I would rather spend my money hunting rather than purchasing overpriced rifles. Dont get me wrong, if I could afford them I would have Rigby Doubles and Holland and Hollands. I cant afford them so I hunt. The choice is a no brainer for me.

Think most that have hunted Africa would agree with your statement...

While in the middle of the thick stuff..its the thrill of being within mere feet of DG that does it for me...and quite frankly, not a whole lot comes remotely close...well, there's that one.. ...but other than that...

I do agree there is that romance of carrying an old double or nostalgic caliber rifle...but if it's a choice between going hunting or getting a new gun...I'll take the hunting...

Ripp

--------------------

Blank
.224 member

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
      #125171 - 26/01/09 04:10 PM

Just returned from Reno and had several of my questions answered by the people in the know. I talked with Hornady reps about the dies and was disappoinjted. He called back to the factory for me while I waited, and they have not started tooling up for the 416 dies yet. Anticipated time frame is two months until available. Great time talking with them.

Talked to RCBS and they told me that by the time Hornady produces theirs, then they get thru the legal wrangling and permission it would be 6-8 months for them to follow, and be in the custom line at first..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Blank]
      #125180 - 27/01/09 12:29 AM

Quote:

Anticipated time frame is two months until available. Great time talking with them.

Talked to RCBS and they told me that by the time Hornady produces theirs, then they get thru the legal wrangling and permission it would be 6-8 months for them to follow, and be in the custom line at first..

Which, when translating to the gun industry will be 4 months for Hornady and a year for RCBS...

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: Blank]
      #125190 - 27/01/09 03:25 AM

Quote:

Just returned from Reno and had several of my questions answered by the people in the know. I talked with Hornady reps about the dies and was disappoinjted. He called back to the factory for me while I waited, and they have not started tooling up for the 416 dies yet. Anticipated time frame is two months until available. Great time talking with them.

I know how you feel. I picked up a 500NE at the show in Vegas and now need dies for it. Hornady won't have theirs out until at least April so I had to go with RCBS, the custom ones instead of the "new" safari line, if I want to shoot it anytime soon.

Con
.333 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #125198 - 27/01/09 07:32 AM

That's a ridiculous scenario, rifles and factory ammunition available but no dies. It almost begs to have 3 fired cases sent to Hornady with instructions to cut a set of custom dies ... that's just a 60day wait.
Cheers...
Con

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #125204 - 27/01/09 08:53 AM

Lee or Hornady custom dies made from your brass are something like $100.00. That's not only cheaper than RCBS but the dies will be straight. I've had a falling-out with big Green and their standard of over-sizing brass and relying on the expander button to open them up for a bullet. All of my green-box dies oversize the brass. When you send 3 fired cases, they should be able to make dies that size the necks only enough to hold a bullet - no more. Yes, I know the others oversize the necks too, but they do it less than big Green. RCBS ticks me badly. Most of the green box dies I have accumulated over the years are not concentric from the bodies to the neck portion. Take a straight case (proven) and size it without the expander button in the die, they come out crooked in the neck. We hates it. I am slowly changing all my dies over to Lee or Hornady. I do like the collet dies for my varmint rounds.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Con
.333 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: DarylS]
      #125215 - 27/01/09 01:38 PM

Daryl,
Hornady dies were US$130 (upto 2.5" case length) a few months back, I've since heard they've adjusted prices upwards. I still think its ridiculous that they'd develop the cartridge and have no dies ready to roll once the rifles hit the market. I can only guess they want a shot at recouping costs through factory ammunition sale.
Cheers...
Con

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger .416 shorty.... [Re: DarylS]
      #125227 - 27/01/09 11:19 PM

Quote:

Most of the green box dies I have accumulated over the years are not concentric from the bodies to the neck portion. Take a straight case (proven) and size it without the expander button in the die, they come out crooked in the neck. We hates it. I am slowly changing all my dies over to Lee or Hornady. I do like the collet dies for my varmint rounds.

Agree with the above statemnt--have noticed the same in mine--now on the ones I want to be really accurate getting competition seating dies as well as differnt name brand dies..upset me in all the money I have invested in RCBS...but what is one too do...

Ripp

--------------------

Con
.333 member

#125250 - 28/01/09 07:45 AM

Guys,
Out of interest, it was mentioned Hornady may be running 500NE dies? Why??

Is there a Ruger No1 in 500NE in the planning?
Cheers...
Con

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#125251 - 28/01/09 08:08 AM

They are adding the 404 Jeffery and 470 and 500 NE to their ammunition catalog this year. Dies are on the way as well. Should provide some needed price competition into the market.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=791

Ripp
.577 member

#125265 - 28/01/09 01:00 PM

Quote:

They are adding the 404 Jeffery and 470 and 500 NE to their ammunition catalog this year. Dies are on the way as well. Should provide some needed price competition into the market.

saw some prices on the Hornady ammo--it is currently about half of what Federal (the robbers) are currently charging.. seriously, what a bunch of BS...they sell .470 ammo in 2006 or there abouts, for $179 per box--thx it goes to $279 the next year and $379 the following year...GREED is the explanation...of course, IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#125268 - 28/01/09 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

saw some prices on the Hornady ammo--it is currently about half of what Federal (the robbers) are currently charging.. seriously, what a bunch of BS...they sell .470 ammo in 2006 or there abouts, for $179 per box--thx it goes to $279 the next year and $379 the following year...GREED is the explanation...of course, IMHO...

Ripp

The price of factory ammo certainly made the price of the RCBS dies easier to take. Until the Hornady ammo hits the street I paid the same price for the dies as 20 rounds of A-Square ammo would cost me. If I didn't load all of my own ammo I would probably never buy a DR, at least in the big NE cartridges, due to the cost of feeding them.

Con
.333 member

#125271 - 28/01/09 01:17 PM

Ripp,
I think your explanation was perfect! GREED.
Cheers...
Con

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#125273 - 28/01/09 01:27 PM

Quote:

Ripp,
I think your explanation was perfect! GREED.
Cheers...
Con

Just playing "Devil's Advocate," how many rounds of these calibers are sold per year? I'm guessing there are enough sold that Hornady thinks they can grab a big chunk of the market, and make money doing it, with their pricing. I wish them luck.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #125301 - 28/01/09 10:09 PM

Maybe the ammo industry is already being "Obamafied" with it's ridiculously increased prices. Maybe Federal was promised major kick-backs from the Osama administration for doing so.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#125311 - 29/01/09 12:53 AM

Quote:

Maybe the ammo industry is already being "Obamafied" with it's ridiculously increased prices. Maybe Federal was promised major kick-backs from the Osama administration for doing so.

Possible, but unlikely as the prices had taken these increases before anyone really knew who Obama was--with the exception of the Chicago maufia and known terrorists of course...

Think it is simply, Federal felt as though individuals that purchase doubles and travel to Africa are willing to throw big money after a box of ammo..probably think the average "executive" either doesn't have the knowledge, time, or both to roll their own..therefore will have to buy at the ridiculous high prices...

As to how many they sold--no idea, but as stated, apparently Hornady feels it is enough to be worth the effort of tooling up to do so...and at HALF THE PRICE...good for them...hope they take over the market...

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #125317 - 29/01/09 01:36 AM

I think it is the Last Gasp of Capitalism and as far as I'm concerned think they should charge whatever the market will bear.

Once Barney Frank and the Democrats extend the New Squeal efficiencies to the ammo industry, all ammo produced in the USA is going be standardized to look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jelly_Vibrator.jpg

Such ammunition is easy to chamber but has poor long-range ballistic properties.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13527

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com