Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My First Pronghorn

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunt Reports

Pages: 1
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
My First Pronghorn
      #117833 - 29/10/08 07:21 AM

After the first day, we'll call it mud fest, day 2 ended succesfully. Ed and I spotted 2 bucks at a very long distance on a West to East course. We started on an intercepting path but, when we stopped to take another look, they both had us pegged from well over 600 yards. We put a rocky point between them and us and hurried toward it and to the top to see if I could position myself for a shot. I crested the top and still found both of them looking our way. Ed said both were equal in horn length but the one on the left was bigger in body and that they were no more than 300 yards away. The two were facing directly at us on a ridgeline. I wasn't sure if I was comfortable with a 300 yard shot at a forward facing, small profiled, antelope. Ed strongly encouraged to take the shot before they stepped back over the ridge and out of sight. I layed prone, placed the crosshair right on the inside left shoulder of the buck on the left, and squeezed the shot. We heard the bullet smack hard and saw the buck rear up like a horse. When we got there, we found him gravely hurt but still standing. They are one tough animal! He moved off about a 100 yards away, quartering away and slightly uphill. I dumped him with a shot to the spine.<br />Chalk one up for my .257 Lasermark and 110 grain Nosler Accubonds. After busting through the left shoulder, the bullet was found in the pelvis

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: My First Pronghorn [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #122181 - 24/12/08 10:52 PM

Per request, here's the photo to accompany the previous post:

Thank you Caprivi for a fun and challenging hunt in Wyoming! Would love to have you out this way soon for some driven birds.

[image][/image]

--------------------

moltogordo
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: My First Pronghorn [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #168507 - 26/09/10 01:12 PM

Congratulations. I took my first and only pronghorn in Wyoming, about 35 years ago. It was my first big game animal, and I was proud as punch. Nice buck, about 14 1/2", very long shot (close to 375 yards) with a .300 Winchester and a 165 grain Sierra spitzer. Browning FN.

I'd love to go back, but probably will not get there. It was, as you have discovered, a real experience. Beautiful, beautiful country.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: My First Pronghorn [Re: moltogordo]
      #168513 - 26/09/10 01:47 PM

Well done mate.
Those 25 cal's are flat shooting.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  HuntReports, NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4553

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com