Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BUSTED 2 BORE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
BUSTED 2 BORE
      #117678 - 26/10/08 07:44 AM

I have been looking forward to receiving my 2 bore, 36" barreled blackpowder gun from Steve Zihn for 15 months. He got the finishing touches done this last week and sent it to me via Fed. Ex. I received it today at noon and couldn't wait to unpackage King Kong. As I pulled it out of all of its packing, something did not look right. It was huge as I expected it to be. But I noticed that the cleaning rod was broken and that the fore end of the stock was pulled away from the barrel about 1/2". I was extremely ticked to say the least.It had to go some ridiculously rough handling to be damaged like this. It looks like the gun will have to be sent bake to Steve to be fixed. It may have to have an entirely different stock made. CRAP CRAP CRAP!! At least it was insured, so Fed Ex should make good on it, but I am really bummed out about this.

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: bigdog]
      #117683 - 26/10/08 08:53 AM

What an absolute pain.

I tend to err to the side of amazing caution when I ship guns.
Recently I shipped two out in a case I'd fortified, with the intent to get one in return.

My packaging was done with the 'worst case scenario' in mind.
Super fortified interior of an armoured hard case, set into an exterior shell of heavily padded double thickness cardboard crating.

I almost pissed when a week or so later I saw my UPS man step off the truck with *just* the hard case in his hand, with little more than a couple wraps of clear tape around the ends.

The padding inside was mostly gone, the long gun *not wrapped in padding* and with a couple new bruises in the metal from the last time it'd been photographed and shown to me.
Granted nothing was broken, but I did have to get the punches and chasing hammer out to fix the ills anyway.
With the age of the piece I'm certain I'd never get proper payback from the shipper.

One thing to remember whenever packing a long gun (or any) for shipping.
If it can come apart, do it before it goes in the crate.
Otherwise, the shipper will do it for you along the way.

The hearts of all the game my black powder rifles and guns have killed go out to you.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #117684 - 26/10/08 08:54 AM

I am growling about it too.
That was not an easy rifle to make, by any means.
Fed-Ex is going to have to make good on this!
I packed that rifle in over 6" of padding.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: szihn]
      #117685 - 26/10/08 08:58 AM

Pain, pain, pain, pain...

What a bitch and a half.
When I was building handmade bicycle frames and forks for bread/butter, there were a few times where weeks of work were dashed at the loading dock of the recipient.

Sucks in a big way to get mangled gear back from the shipper.

The chase on insurance can be a major headache too.
I wish you the best of success in action with the insurance inspector.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #117689 - 26/10/08 11:48 AM

Bigdog,

This is extremely sad news. I can't see why Fed Ex messed up so badly. But, if this is any consolation, last year, a very good friend of mine had UPS damage a rifle and though they took a month, they paid full value on it to him. I know that this is not, quite, the best thing to say. This is in the hope that Fed Ex would do the right thing and make full financial amends for the jokers in their company who screwed up.

What a terrible thing to happen!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

bigdog
.375 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #117697 - 26/10/08 04:15 PM

I think they must have dropped the rifle out of the plane while it was still in the air. Next time they could at least land the plane first. We will start trying to remedy the situation on Monday morning.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #117704 - 27/10/08 02:53 AM

FedEx is notorious for damaging shipments.
My oldest brother recieved a driveshaft for a 275GTB Ferrari and it was literally smashed in the middle. They must have run it over with a truck or forklift!
Once I shipped a motorcycle engine and the dropped it, smashing the crate. The ship to address was obliterated and they just kept it at their terminal not knowing what to do.
I am always wary of using FedEx for guns, but really, they are the most convenient...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Huvius]
      #117706 - 27/10/08 03:29 AM

We all have horror stories from all the shippers. Had a friend "lose" a Wby laser 460 w/ crown custon inlays thru USPS. It never left the Arlington Tx. post office and they are "disputing" the declared value. Nearly a year and no funds yet, if ever. I have literally dozens of damaged guns by UPS, granted this is out of hundreds shipped. Fed-Ex still has a 1876 winchester of mine, have had it for a few years and I have not seen the 4200.00 and never will. They are the worsed I have dealt with. They can't even deliver blueprints without damage.

That said it is way cool you are getting a 2bore, glad to see the spirit of these giants being kept alive. Post some pics when you can.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Caprivi]
      #117730 - 27/10/08 12:27 PM

Steve - you have a private message.

: bigdog - I feel so badly for you. Bloody hell!
Daryl

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bigdog
.375 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: DarylS]
      #117734 - 27/10/08 03:41 PM

I am sure we will get it worked out. I hope to post some pictures of some of my big bore collection over the next couple of days. I only took pics of calibers of 500 or bigger.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #117740 - 27/10/08 06:18 PM

Frankly I don't think they are "accidents". Last year Volquartsen shipped me a .22 in a high impact plastic airline case. The case was shattered on 3 corners, amazingly the foam held the rifle securely and no damage was done. I think it is employees at these companies who have "issues" with firearms, and I think they do know whats in the packaging. hope you get paid out, best, Mike

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #117742 - 27/10/08 06:30 PM

To bad about your rifle, even worse you need a couple of handlings thru shipping on it to get it back again.

I think all countries have problem with the people that does the shipping, in sweden i think they uses the large straw lanses on their trucks to push the boxes around.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

bigdog
.375 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: 450_366]
      #117858 - 29/10/08 04:05 PM

Fed ex is coming by tomorrow to pick it up and ship it back to Steve. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix.

--------------------

bigdog
.375 member

#120469 - 06/12/08 09:41 AM

The 2 bore is fixed and fed ex is picking it up from Steves Monday to ship back to me. Merry Christmas to me!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#120473 - 06/12/08 12:49 PM

Glad to here it - hope it arrives OK - I'm sure it is being watched closly on their end.

--------------------
Daryl

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #120539 - 07/12/08 12:31 PM

Nice to hear-that's a lot of work, money and waiting. Quite a project, looking forward to pictures.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #120574 - 07/12/08 11:54 PM

Quote:

Frankly I don't think they are "accidents". Last year Volquartsen shipped me a .22 in a high impact plastic airline case. The case was shattered on 3 corners, amazingly the foam held the rifle securely and no damage was done. I think it is employees at these companies who have "issues" with firearms, and I think they do know whats in the packaging. hope you get paid out, best, Mike

Yes, I think there's something screwy going on there. My only complaint has been with Fed Ex's pricing for small items but this situation is the end. Of course insurance claims and rising premiums will eventually get their attention but maybe not before they have somehow acquired the US postal service and gained monopoly powers. Maybe it should be brought to the attention of the NRA.

bigdog
.375 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Paul]
      #120587 - 08/12/08 03:43 AM

Even though Fed ex has been rather slow with getting claim forms to Steve, they gave us no problem in admitting that this was 100% their fault. I guess 2 months turn around time is really not that bad to get everything repaired and taken care of, but I am as impatient as the next guy when it come to a new toy that I have looked forward to for a long time.I will give credit to Fed Ex., at least they are taking care of it, however slowly.

--------------------

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #121395 - 17/12/08 12:53 PM

Man, that really stinks!!! I went to the local UPS a few years ago to pick up a rifle to save a little delivery time. When I walked back to the dock I was horrified to see the primates working back there slamming just about everything they loaded or unloaded. They didnt set anything down, just let it drop. I had called ahead.......and of course my rifle had been loaded on a truck instead of waiting for me. The idiot monkey of a clerk says "oh yeeeeah, I membuh dat now". It's a wonder anything arrives in one peice....or arrives at all for that matter. A person shouldnt have to purchase insurance for the bastards to do what they're supposed to in the first place!!! Oh well.......sorry for the rant.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: degoins]
      #121402 - 17/12/08 03:24 PM

Even when the shipping company pays for all damage, it doesn't cover the pain and annoyance of making claims and waiting for the thing to be fixed or replaced, especially where the item is of some sentimental value beyond market price. Where property is allowed to be handled in the way degoins relates, someone should be called to account.

bigdog
.375 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Paul]
      #121405 - 17/12/08 04:49 PM

The gun, after 3 weeks of dicking around with fed ex, was picked up and shipped Monday. It is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Now its cold and ice here, so it will get shot as soon as the weather clears up!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#121429 - 18/12/08 05:30 AM

Southern Ill.? Bet it's colder here, Dad.
Hope it arrives OK.

--------------------
Daryl

bigdog
.375 member

#121440 - 18/12/08 10:05 AM

I am sure it is colder there too! Way up north.

--------------------

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #121814 - 22/12/08 06:43 AM

Is it back in your hands yet? It's been a couple more days of nasty weather again, but hopefully there was a day or two of weather good enough to get it delivered. Hopefully all is well this time-that's too nice of a rifle to be in limbo.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

DarylS
.700 member

Re: BUSTED 2 BORE [Re: Shackleton]
      #121837 - 22/12/08 07:47 AM

Last August, we got 7 rounds into about 8" using a 1.5" smoothbore cannon, shooting 1.4" balls cast of WW. That group looked absolutely devistatingly awesome - well, yiou get the drift! I can hardly wait to see the results of this 'rifle'!!!
Now BigDog, is the bore diameter about 1.35" or is the groove diameter 1.35"? If the latter, that would make the bore diameter around 1.3" with 020" deep rifling, which it appeared in one of the first pictures. I'd be using a ball around 1.28" ball and about .030" denim for the patch" in a 1.3" bore with pure lead balls and perhaps .020" for WW balls. I've never dealt with numbers this big before, that weren't mounted on wheels.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8065

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com