Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tagging along on a DG hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Tagging along on a DG hunt
      #117567 - 24/10/08 10:24 AM

So after my first PG safari, I am already in the process of planning another safari! My Father had gone with out me in ’07, and tagged along with me as an observer on my hunt ’08 (ok an observer that decided to shoot a wildebeest). Now my good old father has it in his head that he needs a buffalo, and his neighbor wants a nice jumbo. They are thinking possibly as soon as 2010 and I’d love to tag along. Problem is I don’t have the funds to buy both, a “quality” bolt gun in an appropriate caliber and the ticket over. I am in love with the Ruger 1 in 450/400 for quality and price, but the single shot makes me a little uneasy. I also have not been able to find much info on this specific version of the 450 on DG. I know I can get a CZ in 375 or the 4’s but they aren’t as appealing to me as the Ruger 1. Any thoughts on a #1 in 450/400 on DG? Again, strictly backing up (read glorified observer). Any advice would be appreciated.

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Tagging along on a DG hunt [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #117569 - 24/10/08 11:10 AM

Respectfully, you will not be backing up anybody on a DG hunt. That is the PH's job and if things go tits up, again respectfully you have not the experience and would be more of a danger to the participants and yourself than an aid.
Have a look at some of the "youTube" films of when things go wrong. One was posted on this forum. The client nearly spines the PH. With two clients, a pissed of buff or ele and the PH it will be like trying to shoot a rat in a phone booth, somebody is going to get hurt.

Now if it is your own buff then the 450/400 #1 will get the job done in great style with correct bullet placment. You will have to accept however if it is not a great shot and the buff is heading south at speed, then the PH will proberbly have to fire an insurance shot, if it is heading towards you he will kill it. With a BA or DR then you will be able to do that yourself.

Regards

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Tagging along on a DG hunt [Re: Bramble]
      #117584 - 24/10/08 10:19 PM

Shoot true or get stomped.

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: Tagging along on a DG hunt [Re: kamilaroi]
      #117711 - 27/10/08 04:40 AM

well, hopefully I won't get to pull the trigger on this trip. I was really more curious of your thoughts about the 450/400 as a caliber on DG. It appears that my father will be taking his win 70 in .375. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have bought one at the same time. Just looking for opinions. If you didn't have a top notch dg gun and were on a budget, would anyone think twice about the number one? in that round? Again I'll be observing, not planning on shooting.

Thanks for the comments
Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Tagging along on a DG hunt [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #117722 - 27/10/08 09:30 AM

In my opinion, single shots are not the ideal dangerous game rifle. For obvious reasons backup shots are slow to get in the air. For large nasty animals I personally would opt for a double rifle or bolt action. That round is just fine though.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com