Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Beautiful Chital Stag!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
The Beautiful Chital Stag!
      #117277 - 20/10/08 01:19 PM

I just got back from another wonderful hunting trip for spotted deer and mouflon on the island of Lanai.

For phots and detail you can take a look at some of my previous posts:

Introduction to Hawaii stalking

My dad and I as usual went together. I was trying out my new Merkel drilling in 16/16/7x65r for the first time in Hawai`i. It was only the second time I used the gun on a hunt. But it a very accurate rifle, with hand loads with 154gr hornady bullets.

100yard 3 shot group:

Drilling with its first kill a European woodcock:

It was a combination hunt we were on a public land mouflon ewes only the first day, and then a private land mouflon and axis deer the second day. Lanai also has one of the best sporting clays courses in the state (there are only two so it pretty easy to be best!) and I booked a 100 targets for the middle of the day on the first day. I had never shot this course before even though I’ve been to Lanai many times, and I’ve missed shooting sporting clays since I moved back to Hawai`i.

First day was pretty standard, get the required tags for public and private land, get supplies, and sight in the rifle. The rifle was dead on for shooting out to 200 yards.

Out the first day, since we could only shoot mouflon ewes we saw tons of axis deer and mouflon rams! First time for only ewes and I found it hard to tell ewes from young rams and young ewes. Hunting was not successful, only two confirmed ewes spotted and they were spooked and ran off.

The middle of day is hot and not productive so we did a couple of hours of sporting clays. Nice course, some really hard shots. I brought my Fabarms Classic Lion over for the course, but being a dunderhead I had forgotten my choke tubes! I only had cylinder and cylinder in from the last weekends skeet shooting. Things did not look good! Well I did the course and between my open chokes and my rusty shooting skills I was just under 50 out of 100, damn pathetic… But I had a great time.

We hunted the rest of the afternoon, but again mostly saw tons of deer and a group of some nice mouflon rams, the magnificent five we called them (the one on the right was very nice):

The following day we out on private land looking for some animals to salvage our honor. The morning seemed to be starting off badly, we got turned around a bit in the darkness driving out to the hunting area. It was a place we’ve only hunted once before and its easy to get lost driving in old cain fields. But we managed, but as we started walking and glassing there was not much to be found. A few does at a far distance, but not much else. We then started a long walk to an anther area, but again got mixed up and went the wrong area. Not much visibility, and no deer to be seen!

However, not all was lost as we walked slowly and somewhat quietly through the bowl we were in we saw some movement. Quickly we spotted two small axis stags not far. One spotted us and ran off, but the other didn’t notice us and continued to eat. The limit was one antlered or horned animal, so I decided not to take him. I’ve shot a couple a bit larger than that one. Then I saw movement to the right. A large group had caught our scent downwind and started to run out of the bowl. There were 3-4 does/hinds and 2 nice stags in the group. I had made a primitive monopod out of a silver oak sapling that morning that had a fork on it. Not the steadiest monopod, but it worked. I rested the drilling on the monopod, and engaged the single set trigger, and waiting to see if the herd would ever slow down. On a ridge about 200 yards out, about half way up the bowl, the group hesitated. A really nice stag stopped and took a look back at us. It was all I needed. I gave a light squeeze to the light trigger and the stag was hit behind the shoulder. He ran about 20 yards and then fell. I could not belief I had made that shot standing at that distance.

We got up to him and he was dead on the side of the ridge. It was about 8:0am. He was huge, just a guess but he must have been about 160-80lbs. A large deer. We took some photos and cleaned him out, a very large of amount meat. My dad took the head and cape and I packed out all the meat on a pack frame. It was started to get hot by the time we started climbing back out of the hill and the pack was heavy. Man what a workout coming out of the bowl and then over the hill we had walked down. We were happy, but beat by the time we reached the jeep!

Its the nicest deer I've taken in Hawaii so far:

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: The Beautiful Chital Stag! [Re: Chasseur]
      #117284 - 20/10/08 03:14 PM

Hi Chasseur ,

Congratulations... they are definately the "Pretty" deer. I am hoping to hunt them in Queensland next year during the rutt. A nice outfit, I will be using my Chapuis "Challenger" which should prove adequate. I see you have the Swarovski, how do you find it. I use an S&B

Cheers from Australia,

Regards,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Chasseur
.375 member

Re: The Beautiful Chital Stag! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #117406 - 22/10/08 09:54 AM

Chapuis,

Thanks for the kind words. I think they are very pretty deer. Perhaps, red stags are more noble, but not much else.

I love the scope. Its the first high ticket scope I've had. I've normally used Leupolds and Nikons to this point, but my European gunsmith buddy I got the drilling was very insistent that a German drilling needs a German or Austrian scope. So... I have the TDS reticle and it works great for shooting 200-400 yards. Wonderful glass as well.

--------------------
-Machiavelli

Chasseur
.375 member

#117786 - 28/10/08 05:26 PM

More photos:

The Hunter's Stop Sign:

Of of the many gray francolin who was hanging out at the sporting clays course:

--------------------
-Machiavelli

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #117790 - 28/10/08 07:57 PM

Fantastic!

I wish I could be out there hunting with you.
Great animal, great story of your day out on the island.

Sounds like a great shot too!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3208

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com