Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions about square bridge configurations/functions?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
akriet
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: in & of Dixie
Questions about square bridge configurations/functions?
      #117050 - 16/10/08 10:34 AM

I'm curious about square bridges on Mausers. I've never seen one in person and you can tell I don't know anything about them.

In looking at archive photos, it appears to me that receivers with a single square bridge do not have a charger hump, is that correct? Do single square bridges have a standard height - might they be the same height as the ring? Are the square bridges there just for looks, or are they there for some function (I know that claw mounts were mounted on some, but in many photos I've seen, the top surface is just checkered or grooved)? Was there any rhyme or reason why some Mausers have double square bridges, some have a single square bridge on the bridge, and some have a square 'bridge' on the ring? Did all Magnum Mausers have them, or just some Magnums? Do some standard size Mausers have them as well?

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Questions about square bridge configurations/functions? [Re: akriet]
      #117058 - 16/10/08 02:13 PM

Square bridges were built into some Mausers in order to simplify mounting scopes ( for double square bridges ) and to install receiver sights on single bridge actions. Since these were primarily European rifles, and claw mounts were in favor, the square bridges no doubt were a help.
The down side to them is that they added a little weight ( actually not much of a detraction on the heavy calibers) and made iron sighted rifles more blocky and a little less comfortable to carry.
Now days they are a bit of an anachronism ( there are some neat scope mounts currently made to fit them - like Joe Smithsons') but they still hold a certain classic appeal on large bore African styled rifles.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Questions about square bridge configurations/functions? [Re: 458Win]
      #117085 - 17/10/08 02:41 AM

Re: Square bridges functionality, both of Speed's books show quite a few square bridge rifles where the square bridges are not used for scope mounting at all, or where only one of the bridges is used. Like all things, a fellow uses what he's got or what is available, even if the exact configuration is of no use to him and this applied even to the Ol' Timer Germans. Today, I suspect, most owners of square bridge Mausers who are building a rifle would feel compelled to use both "squares" in scoping it and if they didn't they might feel like the rifle wasn't "original" enough.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Questions about square bridge configurations/functions? [Re: akriet]
      #117087 - 17/10/08 04:16 AM

Quote:

Are the square bridges there just for looks, or are they there for some function (I know that claw mounts were mounted on some, but in many photos I've seen, the top surface is just checkered or grooved)?

IMO unless used for sight or scope mounting, they really have no function.
It is interesting that many magnum length actions do have a rear square bridge and seemingly were not chambered in cartidges which are customarily scoped - as in dangerous game cartridges.
My open sight 416 has a square bridge, but my scoped 280 Halger did not and they are both original magnum length Mauser actions.
So, in answer to one of your questions, yes, they did make non-square bridge magnums.
Today, the square bridge is desireable due to rarity, and I assume all square bridge actions are looked at as pure sporter models - not military based rifles. Functionally though, no difference.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

akriet
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: in & of Dixie
Re: Questions about square bridge configurations/functions? [Re: Huvius]
      #117167 - 18/10/08 03:44 PM

Thanks for the responses and information. Regards.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com