Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375
      #116564 - 09/10/08 07:09 PM

Greetings all. Just joined the other day. Have a few questions, hopefully can get some answers. I have a stripped #4MKI receiver thats been floating around my shop for about 20 years.Finally decided its time to do something about it. I like the 375 caliber as I have a few bullet molds in that caliber. My first idea was to make up a repeater through the magazing. Had asked on another board about this but was told the 303 case blown out to 375 would be a case with little or no taper and may cause feeding problems from the magazine. So at that point had another brainstorm. I have a Greener GP police gun, The shortened 303 case blown out to 375 should fit with no problems. Witness the 45/70 and other large cartridges like that being utilized in that receiver as well as the martini military receiver. So at this point I guesstimating that the 375 2 1/2 could be used in both the GP police gun and the martini receiver. My question at this point is wether or not the longer 2.5 inch 375 case would make the bend down through the loading trough on the top of the breech blaock and not hang up cause of its length. I wont be hunting with it,just something to take to the range and play with. And can I make up 375 2 1/2 cases from hornady 405 cases as they seem long enough or very close.The bbl will have a 1x12" twist and is 1 3/16" in diameter. another question arises about the threads on both the gp police gun and the military martini what are their threads and are they 55 degree threads or 60 degree threads?. In turning down the blank I'd like to utilize the origional gp police gun forend, The buttstock is in good shape but part of it will have to be removed so as to allow the installation of a good recoil pad. One that can be taken off so as to allow access to the stock bolt. So if anyone chimes in with any info or suggestions I would be greatful. Thank you all. Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375 [Re: FrankS]
      #116585 - 10/10/08 11:00 AM

Is this not what you posted the other day but in a different format and form of words in a thread 375/303 ??

Greetings all. Just registered last night. Wonderful site. Have a couple questions. I was given a #4MKI receiver, bolt and a few other things some years back. Have been fascinated by the 375 bore. What I would like to do is have a 25" 375 bbl turned down and chambered for the 375/303 cartridge. Will not probably be using 375 jacketed bullets. I cast and load for a few rifles and pistols. The blown out 303 case will be using lyman's 375 (38-55) gas check bullet to start. I have two options when it comes to cases. Either use a neck expander or fireform to get what is almost a straight slightly tapered case for loading 375 cast bullets. Another option would be to get hornady 405 winchester brass, trim and then neck down. The bbl will have a 1x12" twist. Another question I have is it ok to remove the charger bridge from the receiver?. I've been looking at some of the various lee speeds (sure wish a good one in 375 2 1/2 would show up in my neck of the swamp) but probably couldn't afford it. One of the photos did show a removed charger bridge and it really changed the way the rifle looked. Was trying to get a bubba'd #1MK111 but they seem kinda thin on the ground here in louisiana.
And finally, would a Greener GP police martini actioned rifle be safe in this caliber?, or should I forget the martini. This is going to be my first rifle build and am trying to get as much info as I possibly can. And the last question, in one article it was said that the 375 2 1/2 would not work through a smelly but would be ok for the lee speed. As you can obviously see I've a lotta questions to be answered. So I'll welcome any and all comments, suggestions that any of you care to send my way.
Regards,Frank

End quote.

The GP is not suitible for rifle cartridges today, anymore than it was 2 days ago.

There are loads of .303 Martini Henry's around, you can do it to one of them with impunity. The problem is not the mMartini action, that will take that and more, just that the GP is a split reciever ring. It is not the same action as the MH rifle in that regard.

Regards

FrankS
.300 member

Re: Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375 [Re: Bramble]
      #116606 - 10/10/08 03:50 PM

Bramble, the greener GP police shotgun action I have is not the one with the split receiver nor is it the one with the "C" clips. It does have the saftey on the left side though. But to err on the side of caution will be saving up my bucks to get a 303 Martini Henry. We only get two pair of eyeballs and right now mine need to be relined. Thanks,Frank

Edited by FrankS (11/10/08 10:43 AM)

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375 [Re: FrankS]
      #116650 - 11/10/08 09:08 AM

I have rebored a .303 MH to .375 and use necked up .303 cases. I have the rifle ready to start the tests, but have yet to load and shoot any cartridges. I intend to shoot 250-270 0r 300 gr cast bullets. I will also try some jacketed bullets. I expect I should be able to push the 250 grains to 2000 fps.
I will post my results when I can accomplish this.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

FrankS
.300 member

Re: Lee speed 375 2 1/2 or 303 british necked up to 375 [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #116653 - 11/10/08 10:53 AM

88MauSporter, anything you can post regarding the shooting of your rebored martini henry will be greatly appreciated and read. Thanks,Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2759

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com