Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ZG-47

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
ZG-47
      #116446 - 07/10/08 11:03 PM

A few details about this ZG-47 which I have had rebuilt by a gunsmith named Harald Viken in Norway, from 30-06 to 9,3x62:

Barrel length: 48 cm / 19 inch

Total rifle length: 102 cm /40 inch

Weight: 8.3 lbs. without suppressor. So it is not exceptionally light, but fine for a 9,3x62.

Total rifle length with "short"/hunting length suppressor (it is modular, so I can add or remove modules as I wish) - 113 cm / 44.5 inch

The rifle is coated with "Duracoat". Duraheat is used on the suppressor.

The stock is a Basner "High Tech".

The front and rear sights are from ERA/Rechnagel.

The Talley scope mount copies have been machined by the gunsmith from scratch (to make a set lower than what Talley offers).

The first game taken with the rebuilt rifle was a 2 1/2 year old moose I shot yesterday. Using VV N-140, I have loaded 250 grain North Fork soft points to a pleasant 2450 f/s.

I was sitting out in the woods waiting for things to start, when a moose came galloping(!) down on the left side of the clearing I was at. I didn't have time to raise my gun, but thought to myself that it could possibly turn a bit to the right and come out of the trees it had entered right in front of me. Which it did! It was trotting then, only 30 meters away from me, and I could see that it had blood near it's neck/shoulder from before. As our neighbors had wounded a bull with 4 spikes the day before, I knew it had to be that one. Therefore I gave it two rounds of 9,3x62 as it passed thru the trees in front of me. It was going so fast that I wouldn't have shot at it if it hadn't been wounded. As this was apparently our lucky day though, the bull was hit solidly by my shots (one which trashed it's heart we later found out), and it crashed down dead after 20-30 meters. Needless to say, the neighbors were very pleased, as they had been searching for it since the day before. It turned out that it was our dog Jega who brought it to me (by chance), as she had been released only a few hundred meters away. Instead of heading where my mother who was acting as dog handler wanted her to go, she went straight up to where the moose obviously was, having probably smelled it the second she got out of the car.

The 2 shots the neighbors had put into it were non-lethal, and it would have undoubtedly gone for quite a long time before infection and a slow death put an end to it. So it was a good thing that I happened to be at the right place at the right time. Interestingly enough, both of the neighbor hunting teams bullets (a 30-06, and 9,3x62 Oryx) were found in the moose even though they were only flesh wounds, while my North Fork 250grains zipped right thru.

So far, I am very pleased with the rifle, and in addition it is quite accurate. With the North Fork loads, I get 3 shots just touching each other at 100 meters. Which is plenty good enough for me with a 1.1-4 scope.

Edited by CptCurl (11/10/08 11:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: ZG-47 [Re: EricD]
      #116448 - 07/10/08 11:49 PM

Weidmannsheil Erik - work well done on the rifle and a great way to baptise it!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: ZG-47 [Re: 93mouse]
      #116451 - 08/10/08 01:13 AM

Ahh!!

Finally!

That threat of force-fed lutefisk gotcha!

Great post, and very interesting rifle.

Erik, what is the length of pull?

Also, where were the two "neighbor's" shots in the animal?

Glad to see the ankle is good-to-go also.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

EricD
.416 member

Re: ZG-47 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116456 - 08/10/08 03:08 AM

The lutefisk threat definitely got to me. I hate the stuff. The length of pull is 34cm/13.3 inches. It is intentionally short due to the heavy cloths we wear this time of the year, backpack shoulder straps etc.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #116465 - 08/10/08 03:36 AM

Well done and congratulations Erik.

Looks like a great rifle for driven game hunting and snow, ice and rain. Maybe a bear in its future one day?

Is the S&B scope an illuminated reticle model? I thought I saw a hint of a "turrent" on left side?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EricD
.416 member

#116479 - 08/10/08 07:15 AM

Quote:

Also, where were the two "neighbor's" shots in the animal?

Forgot to mention that their 9,3 shot was thru the flesh on the upper side of the neck, and the other (30-06) a slanting shot thru part of the shoulder. This was the first one apparently, when the animal was quartering away from the shooter and it didn't connect with any bones, not to mention not going into the chest cavity. The neck shot was a follow up shot from when they were tracking the wounded animal, and that obviously didn't work out either.

They were kind enough to donate a bottle of cognac to me as thanks for my help in solving their problem.

EricD
.416 member

Re: ZG-47 [Re: NitroX]
      #116480 - 08/10/08 07:19 AM

Quote:

Maybe a bear in its future one day?

Or more likely, a buffalo.

Quote:

Is the S&B scope an illuminated reticle model? I thought I saw a hint of a "turrent" on left side?

Yes, the German #4 reticle has a red dot in the center. Naturally, it functions like a normal reticle when the red dot is off.

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #116496 - 08/10/08 03:11 PM

Erik, I like everything about your rifle except that you have replaced the normal ZG47 safety, I know that to many the fact that it works the "wrong" way round is an issue, I never found that with BRNOs, so for that personal reason I'm not so keen on that, I think the standard ZG457 is so classic, but in every other way you have a superb, very practical rifle, well done.
Steve

9.3x57
.450 member

#116522 - 08/10/08 11:39 PM

Quote:

They were kind enough to donate a bottle of cognac to me as thanks for my help in solving their problem.

Least they could do.

That critter was quite the team effort.

Great post, Erik.

What is the "life expectancy" of that suppressor {how many rounds +-}?

Does the rifle shoot to same Point of Impact with the suppressor on and off?

Your load {250/2450} must be a easy shooter. It is a virtual "9.3x57 duplicate". I get over 2500 fps with 225's in my x57 and Daryl reports 2300+ with his 270 grain load. These showing no pressure signs but shot from somewhat longer barrels.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

EricD
.416 member

#116526 - 09/10/08 01:06 AM

Steve, notice that the replacement safety is not a regular 3 pos. Winchester type, but also has a little locking lever. You have to push in the button when moving the safety lever forward. I put this safety on intentionally instead of the original as it makes it a lot safer than other safeties, including the original, when thrashing thru the bush as a dog handler. Taking this safety off the 3rd/rear position has to be a concious act. From the middle pos. though, it functions as a normal Win. 3 pos. safety. However, for buff or similar, I would switch the whole safety out with a 2 pos. safety (either On or Off, with no middle pos.) like I have on my Mag. Mauser. To avoid not getting the safety lock off in a "panic" situation.

EricD
.416 member

#116531 - 09/10/08 04:40 AM

Quote:

What is the "life expectancy" of that suppressor {how many rounds +-}?

Does the rifle shoot to same Point of Impact with the suppressor on and off?

The suppressor is made of steel, and thus, unlike suppressors with aluminum internals, the life expectancy is many thousand rounds. I don't know exactly how many it can take, but I doubt I will wear it out in the foreseeable future.

As for impact change, with this load it is virtually the same with or without the suppressor. However, if I add more modules, than the POI does change a little.

This light load is both pleasant to shoot, and more importantly for the moose meat that I sell, it creates less blood shot meat.

shinz
.300 member

#116539 - 09/10/08 05:43 AM

Quote:

Steve, notice that the replacement safety is not a regular 3 pos. Winchester type, but also has a little locking lever. You have to push in the button when moving the safety lever forward. I put this safety on intentionally instead of the original as it makes it a lot safer than other safeties, including the original, when thrashing thru the bush as a dog handler. Taking this safety off the 3rd/rear position has to be a concious act. From the middle pos. though, it functions as a normal Win. 3 pos. safety. However, for buff or similar, I would switch the whole safety out with a 2 pos. safety (either On or Off, with no middle pos.) like I have on my Mag. Mauser. To avoid not getting the safety lock off in a "panic" situation.

Erik. I have seen those on the net but hadn't spotted that was what yours is. In your case your reasoning makes good sense. I rather like the idea of such a safety myself, though not as you say, for a DG rifle. Thanks for the explanation.
Steve

EricD
.416 member

Re: ZG-47 [Re: shinz]
      #116548 - 09/10/08 07:10 AM

Steve, FWIW, the safety is made by Gottfried Prechtl: www.golmatic.com

shinz
.300 member

#116568 - 09/10/08 10:32 PM

Quote:

Steve, FWIW, the safety is made by Gottfried Precht: www.golmatic.com

Thanks for that Eric, I was struggling to remember where it was I'd seen them. Some nice stuff on his website, VERY nice.
Steve

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: ZG-47 [Re: shinz]
      #116595 - 10/10/08 01:26 PM

Erik,

How much attenuation do you realize from the suppressor?

You probably know that suppressors are verboten in the U.S. without a special registration and tax stamp. I guess the politicos are afraid to get into elevators otherwise!!!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

EricD
.416 member

Re: ZG-47 [Re: CptCurl]
      #116665 - 11/10/08 05:40 PM

Curl,

I don't have any numbers to give you with the suppressor configured as it is now (short for hunting, with only a couple of modules), but with all 6 modules I seem to recall that it reduces the sound with 24db. The only way to make it as silent as seen in the movies would be to use subsonic ammo. So regardless of how big the suppressor is, you won't get it silent with regular ammo. But it definitely helps reduce the noise enough to help save the shooters hearing in the long run.

In other words, it is not suitable for politicians in elevators!

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #116684 - 11/10/08 11:40 PM

24db is fairly consistent with average ear muffs. That's pretty darn good.

It's a very nice and useful rifle in a teriffic caliber. Congratulations.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: ZG-47 [Re: CptCurl]
      #116700 - 12/10/08 04:22 AM

Erik:

Just thought to ask, related to the thread on controlled feed and the CZ550.

Does the ZG-47 have the Mauser type ejector, or the CZ550/Winchester M70/Ruger M77 type {in other words, is the left lug slotted}?

Does your ZG-47 positively control the rounds from the magazine?

Does the extractor snap over a dropped-in round?

BTW: your take on the potential for a problem with a 3-position safety reminded me of a couple situations with my CZ550 when I first got it where I meant to snick the safety off, but since it was in the full rear position it only moved the the middle safe position. Took a while to get used to that. I've never had a problem with the 3-position Ruger safety. It is an excellent design IMO, as the fully rear position ctually swings a block into the cocking piece and can be seen and felt, and the big difference between the full rear and middle positions pretty much prevents confusion.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #117651 - 26/10/08 12:48 AM

Erik,

Absolutely lovely work and the smile on your face says it all. If Harald Vikken has a website, please post a link here.

Hope to see many more fine trophies in the future.

Good hunting, my friend!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12183

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com