Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Favorite African Country

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Favorite African Country
      #11575 - 15/03/04 01:10 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out to our members: which African country is your favorite and why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Favorite African Country [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #11579 - 15/03/04 01:33 PM

Tanzania, hands down! It is still the Real Africa with wide open spaces and wonderful game.

I like the people there, also...some of the most genuine and friendly that I've ever encountered.

And yes, RAY, I even like Dar...your "favorite city"...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Favorite African Country [Re: luv2safari]
      #11589 - 15/03/04 03:39 PM

Tanzania gets my vote also. The hunting is truly wild and the people are a pleasure.......someone I know once called Dar 'a magnificent pig f**k of a town' and it is. But I reckon it's one of the safest I've ever been to.

My vote for 2nd best would be Botswana for much the same reasons.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (16/03/04 04:05 AM)

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #11607 - 16/03/04 12:43 AM

Of course Tanzania. You can taste the "True Africa" and hunt lots of different species there

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #11615 - 16/03/04 04:24 AM

I am going to be different... NAMIBIA. Very friendly, plenty wild and very beautiful.

It was also the first African stop for me.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

bwanamrm
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/03
Loc: Texas, USA
      #11796 - 18/03/04 02:32 PM

Can I vote for a place and time? Zimbabwe in 1994. My first safari and the yardstick I measure all others by. Reasonable prices and wide open spaces with lots of game. Damn pity what has happened there now! Second place was Botswana. The Delta is unbelievable.

Tanzania was unique and I enjoyed learning Swahili and visiting with the Masai but.....seeing a great Lesser Kudu and not being able to take him sucked. Just like the Masailand bushbuck...and the gerenuk. In Zim, if there was a quota and you had the bucks....toa bunduki....piga..kufa!

--------------------
"I do not believe there are many more impressive sights than a city man's first glimpse at a live maned lion loose on a plain in strange country."
-Robert Ruark

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Favorite African Country [Re: bwanamrm]
      #11800 - 18/03/04 02:54 PM

Some day I'd love to hunt Botswana and Tanzania, but for now they're just too pricey for my earnings , so for the time being I'm content with Namibia and RSA.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #11820 - 18/03/04 06:18 PM

Hey everybody
what happened to my lovely south africa.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Favorite African Country [Re: Bigfive]
      #11830 - 18/03/04 11:01 PM

Hey, I mentioned RSA.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Favorite African Country [Re: bwanamrm]
      #11833 - 19/03/04 12:07 AM

I've only hunted in Zimbabwe and South Africa but have travelled to Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya. Plus Egypt.

Kenya would have to be my favourite on a qualified basis. Qualified as the idiots banned hunting.

The coast line North and South of Mombasa is very nice. Haven't been to Lamu yet. Ambroselli and the view to Kilimanjaro is magnificient especially with a grand elephant in the frame.Lake Naivasha is very pleasant and the Highlands would make a magnificient place to live. The air is like a tonic and the days cool.

Once it was a game paradise and still has the shadow of that remaining.

Tanzania also is lovely, Ngorongoro is still a must see place and filled with all sorts of game - elephant, black rhino, plains game and lion. Check out the black maned lion on the NitroExpress.com home page. The Serengetti is a romantic place and great for game viewing.

You can climb Mt Kilimanjaro if you wish and I would like to, and Zanzibar would be great to visit.

Of course it has some of the best hunting in Africa so it would be my hunting choice, if I could.

South Africa for a whole lot of different reasons would be up there, more for the human elements than the hunting which is also good. The wine regions, Cape Town and mountain, the history etc.

Zimbabwe was a great place, and hopefully will be one day again.

I assume the question was for sub-Sahara Africa, otherwise Egypt would be up there too.

Bwanamrm

What part of Zim did you hunt in 1994? I was there in that year too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/03/04 01:10 PM)

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Favorite African Country [Re: Bigfive]
      #11855 - 19/03/04 03:55 AM

FENCES...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

**DONOTDELETE**

#12148 - 22/03/04 09:53 AM

I find it hard to say which country is my favorite, since they often each have specific highlights. Here's a mix of some of my favorites:

Mali; unusually varied cultures and very friendly people.

Mauritania; Beautiful desert areas.

Niger; Beautiful desert areas.

Sudan; Best roasted chicken in the world! Which is traditionaly eaten for breakfast between 09:00 and 10:00. Also some of the best fresh pressed fruit juices available from streetvendors. Which suprised us a lot! This is of course in Khartoum. Not much fruit or other nice things were found in western Sudan with the war brewing...

Uganda; Beautiful country and climate with friendly people, Gorillas, and hopefully hunting in the future. Saw some real big buff there...

Tanzania; Hope to hunt there in the near future, with lots of fantastic wildlife, and alternative activities such as climbing Ol Donio Lengai (live volcano which Masai look at as their God).

Botswana; Wildlife in the Okovango Delta. Would love to hunt there.

Namibia; Interesting cultures (Himba espesially), and amazing landscape in Kaokoveld and Damaraland.

Then of course there are some places I haven't been, but want to go both to explore and hunt; DRC, Cameroon and CAR.

Erik D.

www.dunia.no

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes John,

I've finally been able to log on! Unfortunatly it's just from another computer where I'll be for a few days... Still can't figure out why my laptop at home won't let me on. I guess it's time to find some computer geek to come and fix it for me.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Favorite African Country [Re: Dunia]
      #12158 - 22/03/04 02:11 PM

Erik

Good stuff, you have finallly got in!

I would love to hear more about your experiences in the Sudan and Uganda.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#12161 - 22/03/04 03:02 PM

I've got to hand it to our European friends such as yourself-you pick the most exotic destinations. I'm envious.

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #12182 - 22/03/04 08:15 PM

My favorite would still be RSA.
One country with so many diverse regions in the Cape you could think yourself to be in France.

Winter in the Drakensberg and you could be in Switzerland. The kalahari and you could be in the Sahara.

Northern Kwa-Zulu Natal coast and you could be in the Bahamas.

And of course the bushveld what more would you want to get up close and personal to animals.

Botswana is also a favorite because it is so remote or not really but you are far away from anything basically.

Zimbabwe was great before the shit hit the fan when I was there in '97 when I still paid R1 for two Zim Dollar.

Mozambique well all my honeymoon memories is getting back to me

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

**DONOTDELETE**

#12203 - 23/03/04 04:22 AM

Exotic places unfortunatly sometimes come with a cost... We've had Typhoid, Malaria, Tyfus (Tickbite Fever), Giardia and Amoebic Dysentry, plus a nasty throat infection in Chad that my wife thought might be the end of me!. The problem with many exotic places is that you are all on your own, and must face that fact before one goes. Forget much help from locals as they just look at you as an oddity, as they rarely see any white people. Not to mention that "Inshallah" comes into the equation in their opinion!

One thing that we saw in northern africa in general is that there is VERY little wildlife left. An odd gazelle here and there is all we saw for the most part. We met a Toureg in Niger who wanted us to join him in a hunt for some gazelle meat. His plan was to run any he saw over with his Landcruiser! An odd way to tenderize meat! Game manegment is not much known or understood in northern africa it seemed. Some west african countrys like Burkina Faso, Ghana, Benin and Togo do have game left, but poaching is rife, as we could see from what was sold at food and Fetish/Voodoo markets.

Erik D.

www.dunia.no

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#12206 - 23/03/04 06:06 AM

I went to your website last night and read all about your adventure. You and your wife have a lot more guts than I do. Do you think that trip is something that you would ever undertake again?

**DONOTDELETE**

#12219 - 23/03/04 08:31 AM

I'd do it again in a heartbeat! In fact, I wanted to drive home from RSA since I felt that I hadn't "had my fill". Unfortunatly my wifes "year of absence" from work was running out and thus, she had to go home. We made a deal that if I could get a friend down to go along with me, then that was OK, but not alone... Fair enough. But, the one friend I felt was up to the challenge of driving back via my planned route; Angola, DRC, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon, Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger and finally Algeria was was unfortuntly unavailable, as he was in Afganistan at the time. The thing is that I didn't want to take "just any friend" along, because it is important how you handle yourself in strained and at times dangerous situations. Dealing with corruption and sometimes very aggresive and hostile militia, police and military personell is no time to lose ones cool or get angry. It is also important to not be intimidated, as they smell any weakness a kilometer away and will give you more hassle...

My hope is to do this route at a later time. Until then, a shorter trip or 2 into north africa; a round trip through Tunisia, Libya, Niger and up via Algeria would be nice.
First of all though, we are expecting our first child in July, so I'll be grounded for a little while. My wife and I have agreed however that travel with children is possible, although we wouldn't take a kid on any extreme route. We'll just have to wait and see!

Hunting of course is another matter and can be done regardless of children!

Erik D.

www.dunia.no

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #12234 - 23/03/04 10:12 AM

...great post...certainly conjures up/piques the spirit of quartermain in all of us...

...as an aside, did you carry your own health kit (including relevant antibiotics) whilst traveling?...i suppose you pursued your adventures 'free-style', as opposed to any organised sort of endeavor...

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Favorite African Country [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #12281 - 23/03/04 08:19 PM

You're correct. There was nothing organized by anyone else. Infact, Preperation for the trip took about as long as the trip itself... Planning and prepairing was actually fun, and taught us quite a lot.

As for medical supplies, we had a pretty extensive kit with differant types of relevant antibiotics for differant illnesses, bandages, IV needles, sutures etc. A good book for trips like these, (and just in general) is: "Where there is no doctor - A village healthcare handbook". It describes pretty much anything and everything you can catch in africa, with appropriate medicines and doses to use etc. It also has pictures, which helped us when we got intestinal worms and had to find out which type they were... That was the first time we had to go to a hospital, since we didn't have what we needed, and some worms can eventually enter the brain if not dealt with. The hospital on Ila de Mozambique (north Mozambique) was a little difficult for us to find cause it looked like just another deserted ruined building on the outside... We passed it several times before catching on. When we eventually got into the doctors office we encountered the language barrier as we don't speak Portugees, and he spoke no english. The book was great then to point out the specific worm to him! The blood all over the floors and ceilings wasn't very nice though...

We did however get a laugh over the 12 inch black dildo which he obviously used to demonstrate condom use with! My wife teased me that I would become depressed with an inferiority complex from seeing things like that!

Erik D.

www.dunia.no

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #12315 - 24/03/04 07:15 AM

...thanks for filling in the gaps...

...will have to pick up a copy of the health book...

...you were indeed named appropriately...'dunia' means 'world' in the polynesian/malay dialect...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#12333 - 24/03/04 09:38 AM

A book like that makes 'great' campfire side reading .

PS Erik - so if you can get in from another PC, narrows it down to your laptop is at fault. If you have a PC firewall that is very likely the problem. You may need to open up some security features or add http://nitroexpress.com to a list of "trusted" addresses. Still can't see how you can get to AR but not NE on it though. Very strange.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (24/03/04 09:48 AM)

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Favorite African Country [Re: NitroX]
      #12404 - 25/03/04 08:22 AM

John,

I know! I have no idea why my Laptop is giving me this trouble. I will be returning home tommorow, and my plan is to call my wife and have her copy the security setup from this computer to mine by reading them to her. We'll see how that works...

Erik D.

AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
      #12621 - 28/03/04 12:08 AM

Without a doubt, Sudan that was then and this is now. Outfitting sucked, you bent the rules to fit the demands and the lawlessness of the times. However, those big elephant and bongos were worth it.

CAR
Tanzania
Kenya
Zim and Zambia tied for last, but they were still great and far better than no safari and compared to today, all were a great bargain

Leroy

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Favorite African Country [Re: AfricanHunter]
      #12662 - 28/03/04 07:08 AM

My favorite hunting area is probably Tanzania, but I really like the area around Gravelott ajacent to Kruger Nat'l. Park, in RSA and I also like the Eastern Cape..Totally different and both are beatiful areas, abundant in game and large ranches..I have always liked Zimbabwe and hate the state of affairs there now...

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite...I have been about everywhere in Africa and I like them all in a different way...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 8063

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com