Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brown Bear /Grizzly bear hunts. Anyone been on one

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Scartozi
.275 member

Reged: 14/03/04
Loc: Columbus Ohio, USA
Brown Bear /Grizzly bear hunts. Anyone been on one
      #11540 - 15/03/04 03:53 AM

Has anyone been on a hunt for Grizzly or brown bear in Alaska or the lower 48's. I would like to get an idea from some of you on the price, espically if you live in the US.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
Re: Brown Bear /Grizzly bear hunts. Anyone been on one [Re: Scartozi]
      #11595 - 15/03/04 07:20 PM

Yes but mine was a long, long time ago. You can expect to pay $10,000 to $15,000 US dollars for a good Brown Bear hunt in Alaska.

Grizzly Bear hunts in good areas with a high sucess rate can generally be had for under $10,000 and once in awhile down to less than $7,000.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #11617 - 16/03/04 05:11 AM

Yes. But I only have to pay $25 for a tag!!!

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #11623 - 16/03/04 07:34 AM

Yes. Back when I lived in Alaska (and only had to pay $25 for the tag!!) I went on a couple of self-guided brown bear hunts. The last one, two years ago, my borhter got a nice young adult bear (7-1/2' and 450 lbs or so, if memory served me correct). We did mostly spring hunts on the coast.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: Brown Bear /Grizzly bear hunts. Anyone been on one [Re: Chasseur]
      #11637 - 16/03/04 11:16 AM

So what you are saying is I should move to Alaska
DPhilips- How about I just go with you? Just kidding. I'm going to try to get up there in the next 2 years. I'm going to Colorado to go Elk hunting this year, can't wait.

Thank you all for the information!!
-Adam

DPhillips
.375 member

#11643 - 16/03/04 12:20 PM

I wouldn't mind that one bit, except it would be illegal for me to take you, if you wanted to shoot.

Non-Residents (more than twice removed kindred) must retain the services of a guide (licensed to practice in AK) for brown and grizzly bear, Dall sheep, or mountain goats.

All aliens (anyone that is not a citizen of the U.S.) must retain the services of a guide for any big game hunting in Alaska. Least I think that's how it goes.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_trap/hunting/guide.cfm

A nonresident who hunts brown/grizzly bear, Dall sheep, or mountain goat must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide OR by an Alaska resident over 19 years of age who is within the “second degree of kindred.”
“Second degree of kindred” means a father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother- or sister-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, father- or mother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter (5 AAC 92.990).
A nonresident alien must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide to hunt ANY big game animal, including black bear, brown/grizzly bear, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, muskox, wolf*, and wolverine.
*A tag is NOT required for hunting wolves in GMUs 13, 16, 19, and 20.

Definitions:
Resident means (A) a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding an application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country; (B) a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding an application for a license; or (C) a dependent of a resident member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding an application for a license. A person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident may not qualify by virtue of an interest in an Alaska business.
Nonresident means a person who is not a resident of Alaska.

Nonresident Alien means a person who is not a citizen of the United States and whose permanent place of abode is not in the United States.

A current list of registered guides, transporters, and general information on guiding is available for $5.00 from:

Department of Community & Economic Development
Division of Occupational Licensing
Big Game Commercial Services
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0806
Telephone: (907) 465-2543

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: Brown Bear /Grizzly bear hunts. Anyone been on one [Re: DPhillips]
      #11649 - 16/03/04 01:16 PM

Wow, thanks for the information. So I guess it's back to plan B Would you happen to know how many days you get with those 9-10,000 dollar price tag?

DPhillips
.375 member

#11687 - 17/03/04 04:37 AM

Typically brown bear hunts run 10-14 days. If you book in the fall, you may have an opportunity to take moose or blacktail deer (at the going rate for those), along with wolf, fishing, or some bird shooting. At those prices, though, I wouldn't consider taking a shot at anything until the bear was down.

Some outfits in the interior may offer a grizzly/moose or caribou or dall sheep package, but the price does increase a bit. Some coastal outfits may offer goats, too. But again, the price and possibly, the minimum time required, will increase.

Scartozi
.275 member

#11702 - 17/03/04 10:14 AM

That's not a bad price then. Thanks again for the info! I better start working some more overtime then

DPhillips
.375 member

#11708 - 17/03/04 11:35 AM

I know of one outfit here that charges something like 30-35,000 and includes hunting for all of Alaska's major big game species (brown, grizzly, and black bear, moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer) along with wolf or lynx (possibly wolverine). I believe its a 30 day hunt. No guarantees that you will be successful, but I believe it would be doable (except for a legal sheep, which would be iffy). Bison and Musk Ox not included, though I'm assuming if you were lucky enough to get drawn for one of those, these guys could take you there.

Scartozi
.275 member

#11714 - 17/03/04 01:01 PM

Now that would be one hell of a hunting trip!!!! That's also some serious cash, but when you think of everything you get to hunt that's not a bad price. Now I just have to find someone to go with me. I don't think my dad or brother would be up for spending the cash, even though they have it. Maybe they should just chip in and send me.....yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1952

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com