Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Reloading

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Reloading
      #115226 - 23/09/08 02:04 PM

Hello again I'm going to bother. My question now is the following, between 416 Rigby and 458 Rigby Lott, what one is easier to reload?, Which of them has more components on the market-pods, shells and cheaper?

Thank you.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Reloading [Re: ovny]
      #115234 - 23/09/08 02:50 PM

Oscar-

No bother!

There are by far many more .458 bullet choices out there, and most of them are going to cost (by far) less than bullets for the .416

When I took my .458, there was an essentially identical .416 available to me. The component choices and availability were THE reason I chose the .458 between the two.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Reloading [Re: tinker]
      #115246 - 23/09/08 06:30 PM

I agree with tinker completely. The range of bullet weights is endless. from 300 grains to over 500 grains. There are a number of companies making brass, and if you have a lott you are able to use the winchester magnum brass as well. A wide variety of readily available powders work well in the .458 too. The .416 is a great cartridge though.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Reloading [Re: bigmaxx]
      #115285 - 23/09/08 10:43 PM

As a avid .416 fan--throw in my 2 cents..agree with more components available for the .458 --but, thankful with the .416 Remington and Weatherby calibers ..bullet choices have increased as well --while not anywhere near the .458---personally , I feel the bullets that will take any game in the world (and have proven such) are available...400 Gr Swift A-Grame and/or Barnes Triple Shocks..for softs and then the Barnes solids...I reload both for my .416's and they shoot well in both...both basically hitting the same poi with softs and solids.. the 416 is a very easy caliber to reload for..

I have .458's as well...but again..just like the feel and versatility of the .416---lots of firepower and almost as flat as a .375..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #115301 - 24/09/08 02:11 AM

Hello! For both cartridges (416 Rigby and 458 Lott) a lot of components are available , prices are similar and, in this caliber, no cheap ! I think the cartridge 416 Rigby is easer to reload. The shell of the Lott is straight with a light conical shape, a reason for a lot of problems by reloading! But, for hunting Big Game. it is better to use the caliber .458 !

ovny
.375 member

Re: Reloading [Re: grandveneur]
      #115312 - 24/09/08 03:01 AM

Hello, thank you very much for your answer, I really want to reload, sure I buy a 458 Lott. The problem is that in Spain there is to do a course and then apply for permission to reload. But with those gauges and their prices, I believe it is necessary to recharge.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

bigmaxx
.375 member

Re: Reloading [Re: grandveneur]
      #115323 - 24/09/08 04:46 AM

Your right there! The dies are really hard to set up and get right. When I tried to load solids for my safari, I ran into lots of trouble. Cases bulged at the neck. Some so slight you couldnt see the bulge, but they would not chamber. I had no problems with the Swift 500 grain A-Frames. I chambered and checked all my ammo, even the factory stuff. Wound up using Hornady Dangerous Game solids behind the A-Frames.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

#115328 - 24/09/08 05:44 AM

Bigmaxxx Hi, I'm going to try once you have the rifle in the caliber of your choice (my friends I also recommend the 404 Jeffery), to acquire the license to reload, then I will see if I can buy recharge useful in his country. Here in Spain are too expensive, importers much fat prices.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

bigmaxx
.375 member

#115330 - 24/09/08 05:54 AM

All the calibers you have mentioned are good calibers. Boils down to what you really want. Weighing pros and cons. I am sure you will pick one that is adequate for your needs. Any of those choices are real stoppers. Best of luck!

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

#115363 - 24/09/08 02:08 PM

Big thank you, is that it is really difficult, I like all three and more, but until now that is pulling me over the 458 Lott, above all by its strength and I as I have already told a 375 H & H Magnum and perhaps the logical leap jejejeje is towards a 458. Indeed, in Spain all components of recharge are very expensive, in some big caliber projectiles 10 as they cost almost 100 euros ($ 147) which is too much.

A greeting,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#115366 - 24/09/08 02:12 PM

Big indeed, I have also noticed that the bullets are more affordable for the caliber 45/70, can I use to recharge the 458 Lott?, Is that these bullets if they had a price more attractive.

Thanks again,

Oscar.

P.D: That penalty to be poor!

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#115421 - 25/09/08 02:43 AM

And abusing your kindness, you could detail the basic equipment to begin to recharge?

Thank you.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

bigmaxx
.375 member

#115423 - 25/09/08 03:25 AM

Quote:

Big indeed, I have also noticed that the bullets are more affordable for the caliber 45/70, can I use to recharge the 458 Lott?, Is that these bullets if they had a price more attractive.

Thanks again,

Oscar.

P.D: That penalty to be poor!

Yes, the bullets of .458 caliber are interchangeable. However, in my opinion, a good premium bullet should be used for hunting large, heavy or dangerous game. The lighter weight bullets are fine for practice and recreational shooting, and for thin skinned game. They should be fine for deer, and probably elk sized game. Be sure to obtain reputable loading data for the specific bullet you are using. Please continue asking questions and exchanging information here. It always a pleasure!

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

#115430 - 25/09/08 04:23 AM

Thank you for your kindness, indeed, as I asked what do I need to start reloading?, Press, dies, pistons, brass, gunpowder, tilts etc ...

Thank you,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #115437 - 25/09/08 04:42 AM

Personally, I have a couple RCBS presses===The Supreme and also the Ammomaster, the later I use for Nitro cartridges..you can also get RCBS dies for your caliber

As to brass--your decision..Winchester, Norma (which I prefer) or whatever--but whatever you decide to use--keep using the same brand..and same lot if possible..check the cases..for flaws and throw away any flawed ones..

As to powder--you will need to experiment on what works best in your gun..once you decide on what that is.,but a bunch of the same lot number from the factory --as things change from batch to batch-

For powder --currently I am using Reloader 15 in everything --from .375 H&H to 458 to 470 Nitro..
-- it may or may not work well in yours

I used Federal Primers--for your caliber--here in the US I would use Federal 215 Gold Match..

BigMax stated a quality bullet--for dangerous game --I use A-Frames made by Swift almost exclusively...have recovered many..and have never had a failure..in velocities from 2200 fps to 3400 fps...

Advise what other info you may need---plenty of people on this site what can help as well..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
      #115438 - 25/09/08 04:45 AM

ovny,

I can highly recommend Midway, USA (www.midwayusa.com) as a great source for reloading supplies. Not sure if they ship internationally. Other possible source's are Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop and Huntington Reloading Supplies (www.huntingtons.com). I bought my Hornady 458 Lott brass from Midway at a reasonable price. As everyone says above, bullets can be had from Hornady, Barnes or any of the source's I listed. Again, I don't know if any of them ship to international addresses.

Good luck in your search.........Lee

ovny
.375 member

Re: Reloading [Re: wellplugger]
      #115444 - 25/09/08 04:59 AM

The truth Ripp, it's a pleasure to ask on this forum, I served much of their answers, and we appreciated their kindness and sympathy. I take note of the ingredients you use, so if I want to know is if the U.S. sold components of recharge to Spain.

A pleasure and thanks,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#115446 - 25/09/08 05:01 AM

Lee thank you, your answer, which I linkages are used to be able to ask those responsible for the companies if they sell components to Spain.

Thank you very much,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #115529 - 25/09/08 11:36 PM

Oscar,

Donde vive en espana?

Just curious, as I used to be stationed there (Cadiz/Jerez area)...

--------------------
MarinePMI

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Reloading [Re: MarinePMI]
      #115537 - 26/09/08 01:41 AM

I have recently decided I am now going reload the big stuff--500 NE, 505 Gibbs, and buy more dies for my 338-378 Wby and 300 ultramag.

Buying loaded ammo from Superior is easy--great ammo--but gets pricey in a hurry!!!

Yowsers!! I just can't stand to foot the bill at $15-20/round for these rounds from Superior or Norma when I csn reload similar loads for a much lesser amount.I am going to buy an ammomaster press cause its just easier with the big cartridges.It can even load the 50 BMG if you have those kind of yearnings!!

If I were outside the states I would definitely reload!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

ovny
.375 member

#115550 - 26/09/08 05:26 AM

Quote:

Oscar,

Donde vive en espana?

Just curious, as I used to be stationed there (Cadiz/Jerez area)...

I live in Madrid, in a town called Torrejon de Ardoz (he had in a U.S. air base). Madrid is quite far from the area of Cadiz (Cadiz).

A greeting,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

Re: Reloading [Re: hoppdoc]
      #115551 - 26/09/08 05:30 AM

Quote:

I have recently decided I am now going reload the big stuff--500 NE, 505 Gibbs, and buy more dies for my 338-378 Wby and 300 ultramag.

Buying loaded ammo from Superior is easy--great ammo--but gets pricey in a hurry!!!

Yowsers!! I just can't stand to foot the bill at $15-20/round for these rounds from Superior or Norma when I csn reload similar loads for a much lesser amount.I am going to buy an ammomaster press cause its just easier with the big cartridges.It can even load the 50 BMG if you have those kind of yearnings!!

If I were outside the states I would definitely reload!!

Certainly I would also like to reload, but like all the poor always'm just money jejeje. But over time I will surely recharge.

Greetings,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #115616 - 27/09/08 04:17 AM

Oscar,

Wow! That is a small town! (Google maps is a wonderful thing).

Greetings to you as well.

Its too bad that Lee doesn't make their field loaders in any of the bigger calibers... It'd be perfect for the guys over seas...

--------------------
MarinePMI

ovny
.375 member

#115674 - 27/09/08 07:29 PM

Hey, my city is not so small, we are 115,000 habitants, that is for me too. I desire to live in a town with far fewer people. My brands I like are Lee and RCBS.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #115736 - 28/09/08 01:20 PM

Ovny;
I just went duck hunting yesterday, wearing my great hunting vest I bought in Porto Santa Maria (Cadiz) Spain. The other hunters were complementary of the vest and the quality. Spanish made.
I also bought Spanish made leather slings for some of my guns and a great Spanish made cartridge belt for shot shells. Green with green leather loops.
Love the stuff. Porto Santa Maria is one of those "small" towns. The history is huge.
I hear there is great hunting in some areas there for ducks and grouse.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com