Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Express Sights on Ruger No.1

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Scartozi
.275 member

Reged: 14/03/04
Loc: Columbus Ohio, USA
Express Sights on Ruger No.1
      #11507 - 14/03/04 05:10 PM

I was thinking of putting a set of express sight on my Ruger no.1. Anyone done this? If so where did you get the sights, installation prices....ect. Any help would be great!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: Scartozi]
      #11654 - 16/03/04 01:58 PM

Check out the NECG site as they have rear and matching front sights. I suggest you get a decent riflesmith to do the work for you and not a runofthemill partschanger.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: 475Guy]
      #11700 - 17/03/04 10:01 AM

In your opinion do you feel that the fixed with 2 or 3 leafs is better than all of them folding?

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #11719 - 17/03/04 01:47 PM

Dude, depending on your age and how good your eyesight is, I wouldn't bother with more than 2 leafs. One for 100 and the other for 200. Anything else is wishful thinking. The only way to get 300 and beyond accuracy is to use a peep.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: 475Guy]
      #11761 - 18/03/04 09:24 AM

Point taken Thanks for your insight.

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
      #11803 - 18/03/04 03:44 PM

I agree with 475 but I would stiil opt for a peep sight over the leaf system.

The NECG rear peep for the Rugers is a very good unit. My only complaint with it is the blocky appearance. I'd like to see one 'melted', if you will. Still thinking about trying that myself.

Also, those NECG front beads for the Rugers are very nice and functional. It's hard to beat the combo of a high visibility front sight with a good adjustable rear peep.

Cheers.

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: Holmes]
      #11867 - 19/03/04 08:34 AM

What are your opinions on NECG's red fiber optic front sights for ruger's? Do you, or any of you have these sights on any of you guns?

Holmes
.300 member

#11883 - 19/03/04 12:29 PM

I have a couple of them sitting around unused. I do not see them as well under diverse lighting. The white bead works much better for my eyes.

Bear in mind that 67% of all males exhibit colour blindness to some degree. Red is a very complicated colour and is one of the most affected hues with regard to colour blindness. Interestingly, the colour red is often an indicator of venom or toxicity in the lower vertebrate world so H. sapiens may have a problem if we ever have to compete in that niche!

To experiment with your own sight and colour interpretation, try painting the factory bead with white nail polish and red polish. It's easily removed. Remember, the Ruger bead is smaller than many aftermarket beads so keep that in mind.

There are those who really like the brass coloured bead and it can be enhanced by carefully filing the facing edge to a slight angle (sloping away from you). This helps the bead face pick up more light and show up better under varying conditions.

My biggest complaint with the Ruger bead is it's diminutive size. I like a bigger bead. Of course, my eyes are 50 years old! You may not need the bigger sight ball.

If you start changing front sights, be mindful of the little spring and detent cup. They are easy to lose or damage when installing a tight aftermarket unit. And, yes, that is the voice of experience you hear!

Cheers,

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: Holmes]
      #16083 - 22/06/04 02:22 AM

You already have a quarter rib, all you need to do is open up the notch to accept a 1 standing and 2 down leaf sight from Brownells or NECG..Sight it in for 100, 200 and 300 yds...once you get it filed in for 100 yds. the other two fall into place real easy.....OR

Use a one standing sight and sight it in 1.5" high at 100 yds. and call it good.

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1 [Re: atkinson6]
      #19308 - 19/09/04 09:51 AM

I am looking at my new Ruger No.1 in .416 Rem and the prospect of running a shallow dovetail in the top of the action lengthwise to accept a dovetailed fixed peep sight that is lined up with my irons for lateral, then use a NECG partridge .007 partridge that can be filed down to zero for horizontal, then fold the rear shight down in the quarter rib to flush...Also a filler for the action dovetail so that it can be made to come off and on with a retainer pin and the dovetail not show when the peep is off and in my pocket...I had a double rifle set up like this and I loved it....

atkinson6
.375 member

#19734 - 13/10/04 12:28 PM

Beware!!!!!

That bloody quarter rib on a Ruger is harder than woodpecker lips and it has a screw on both sides of the sight slot...best to just use a one standing in the existing dovetail IMO....or a peep on the receiver.

Holmes
.300 member

#19765 - 15/10/04 12:53 AM

Pretty amazing stuff, eh? Ruger's version of kryptonite!

I'd really like to see an aftermarket rib 'blank' that a feller could tailor to his preference.

I've still got a Leupold 2x7 on my 500 as I just used it on an antelope hunt but I'm going back to the NECG peep for general use.

BTW, 570 gr Woodleighs are rather effective on speed goats. At no time did I feel me or my fellow hunters were in danger of a charge after the goat was shot....

Holmes

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #19770 - 15/10/04 05:30 AM

I think the ruger #1 sights stink. I got the peep sight and that improved my accuracy greatly. I shoot doubles now, so the point is moot. BTW, if you are a ruger #1 shooter and want to move into a double, try a Merkel 140, it has virtually the same feel.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #20255 - 31/10/04 05:38 AM

What are your opinions on NECG's red fiber optic front sights for ruger's? Do you, or any of you have these sights on any of you guns?

I have the fiber optic on my .458lott and love it. It glows in pretty much any light for my eyes and in snap shooting you can not miss that floating red dot.

Last month while on Safari my PH was so impressed with it he is having one installed on his rifel. He commented while walking behind me that the site glows, when the guy behind you notices it that says a lot in my mind. I do have a hooded site that may make a diffrence dont know?

The draw back is of course its a large diamiter site I would think anything over 200yards the site would cover most of something the size of a buff but it works well on a DGR with open sites used under 100yards.

James F. Nioxn III

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6967

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com