Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
My new Mauser
      #113153 - 01/09/08 05:30 AM

Some work from Gary Stiles. This is my second Custom from Gary and I am very happy with the results. This one is in 9.3x62 and shoots like a dream. [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image]

Edited by Roscoe (01/09/08 12:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: My new Mauser [Re: Roscoe]
      #113162 - 01/09/08 08:57 AM

Great looking rifle. I'm having something very similar built at the moment so thank you for giving me a sneak preview.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: My new Mauser [Re: tophet1]
      #113176 - 01/09/08 10:37 AM

Very nice! Is that an original Mauser left hand action? I have never seen one before with a thumb slot on the right. Congratulations.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: My new Mauser [Re: Nakihunter]
      #113207 - 01/09/08 02:27 PM

Roscoe, as a South Paw myself, I'm drooling! Nice rifle!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: My new Mauser [Re: 9.3x57]
      #113240 - 01/09/08 06:33 PM

Awesome gun!!

What make is the action?

It looks superb and a great calibre to boot!!

jwheeler
.224 member

Reged: 18/11/07
Loc: Louisiana, USA
Re: My new Mauser [Re: Cinghiale]
      #113263 - 02/09/08 12:09 AM

Very nice proportions to the full length stock. I am a big fan of the mannlicher length stocks but so few gunsmiths really pull it off as nicely as yours.

Jeff

Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
Re: My new Mauser [Re: jwheeler]
      #113273 - 02/09/08 03:20 AM

Thanks for the kind words...I too am very happy with the rifle. The action is a Charles Daily mauser that Gary performed magic on. I will attach photos of the rifles twin which gary completed last year.

Hey folks,
I thought I would share some photos of a new addition to my rifle collection. This one is going to be a keeper! I have always found mannlicher stocked rifles a thing of beauty. As all of you lefties know...there are not many around for us to choose from. So after seeing some of the work Gary Stiles did for another forum member, I contacted him and got this project started in June of last year.

First off, Gary is a great guy. Not a big talker but getting to know him, he takes a lot of pride in his work. He has a lot of experience working on all types of rifles but really likes to work on Mausers.

I told Gary that I wanted a slim, trim hunting rifle that would be easy to carry. I asked for a classic style stock made to my dimensions. We talked about a few additional options and once I felt we were on the same page I let him take over.

The rifle began life as a CD Mauser in 30-06. Gary ordered a Douglas barrel of light contour (I believe a #1or#2) cut to 20” in length and fit it to the action. He must have done a lot of work to the action because it is now very smooth and has no slop when I work the bolt. If anyone has used a factory CD Mauser you can appreciate what this means…they tend to be very ruff and a tad sloppy!

The Bolt handle is new and checkered on two sides. Gary also replaced the push button magazine release with a trigger guard style latch. I have no idea how he made it look so well…there is no evidence of welding or cutting anywhere. I would have guessed that it was new bottom metal but Gary tells me he simply converted the original.

The safety was made by Stuart Satterlee and installed by Gary. Gary also made the scope bases at my request. I like Talley rings however I don’t like Talley bases. They seem a bit blocky for my taste.

The barrel band rear sight base has an integral recoil lug and a single leaf sight. The front sight is a simple ramp and hood. Both came from NECG.

The Stock blank came from Luxus Walnut…once again, a great place to do business with. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a nice blank. It was sent to Gary for inspection prior to me paying a dime. Gary said the blank was hard and of the highest quality…checkering was a breeze!

The Mannlicher forend metal, grip cap, and the cartridge trap also came from NECG.

All said and done, the rifle exceeds my expectations. I would guess it weights around 8 lbs fully loaded and ready to hunt…balances like a dream, and points like an Irish setter! When I started the project I was told it would take about 12 to 13 months to complete…it was delivered in 9! Of all my custom rifle projects…this is the first one that was delivered ahead of schedule. Gary called numerous times to ask questions and provide updates on the rifle. He was always interested in understanding my options and offering feedback for design changes that he felt would benefit the project. Anyone looking for a quality gunsmith to build a future rifle should talk to Gary. I don’t think you will be disappointed with his work. I currently have him working on a twin to this gun…chambered in 9.3x62.

Here is a link to Gary’s web page.
Gary Stiles

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #113285 - 02/09/08 05:50 AM

Very nice lefty Mauser. Great full stock rifle. I love the style and additions.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: My new Mauser [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #114420 - 14/09/08 10:05 PM

That rifle is a real beauty.

The only omission I see: provision for sling. I would have him fit a barrel band with classic bail for sling on the front and a rear swivel where the attachment screw for the cartridge magazine is on the butt.

Just my suggestion. Do not take this as negative comment, as this is one fine rifle.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: My new Mauser [Re: CptCurl]
      #114422 - 14/09/08 10:15 PM

P.S.

Roscoe you are not only a man with a distinguished name, but also with impeccable taste.

After posting the comment above, I realized what I had in mind was my very similar custom rifle, which I posted to NE.com some years ago.

Here's a link to my post:

Roscoe Stephenson's full stock Mauser

Mine has no cartridge magazine. I still hold it near and dear.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My new Mauser [Re: CptCurl]
      #114445 - 15/09/08 04:07 AM

I missed the lack of sling swivels. Almost a shame to put in a 'yoke' for the front swivel and a stud for the butt swivel.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Re: My new Mauser [Re: DarylS]
      #114624 - 17/09/08 07:40 AM

That is a beautiful rifle, too bad the bolt handle is on the wrong side

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #114924 - 20/09/08 10:25 AM

Roscoe,

A very beautiful rifle indeed! The sleek and understated lines are to die for.

Absolutely superb!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com