Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cool Down

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Cool Down
      #11343 - 10/03/04 06:26 PM

When shooting groups or sighting in/regulating a double rifle, how long do you cool down the rifle between shots?

How do ambient temperature extremes affect the rifle's regulation?

...differences between SXS's and O/U's...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Cool Down [Re: luv2safari]
      #11347 - 10/03/04 10:14 PM

I don't know about the O/U's but on the SXS's, the ambient temp didn't matter. I just went by the old rule of thumb of shooting when the barrels are cool enough to the touch no matter how many rounds are fired whether slow or rapid. I did notice that if I didn't have my support hand holding the gun under the fore-arm that my groups would wander. My solids and softs would often shoot to different points unless I had my hand there holding the fore-arm.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Cool Down [Re: 475Guy]
      #11382 - 11/03/04 10:35 AM

Sam,

I had noticed that as the gun got hot, the shots from my old Merkel SXS 9,3x74r would cross over each other, and my new old Merkel o/u in 9,3x74r crosses up and down.

The SXS showed a bit of elevation change, also, while the o/u shows only minor windeage changes.

I was sighting in a new scope on my pre war Sauer cape gun in 12 & 8x57jrs a week ago and noticed that it moved almost a foot to the left as it got very warm...rifle barrel on right, of course.

I always cool combo guns and DRs between series of a shot out each barrel and was wondering whether this is prudent in the heavy calibers. A 9,3x74r is the biggest bore I have any experience with in DRs, and they can be quite lightly made, possibly lending themselves to more movement as they heat up...

Dugaboy...what say you? Do you let the bigger DRs cool when sighting in or regulating?

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #11451 - 13/03/04 03:00 AM

luv2safari , you have the answer, right next to your computer. The canned air that you use to clean your keyboard. When working up loads to regulate,use only groups of four shots, at one time, letting the rifle come back to ambiant temprature before the next group! After you fire the fourth shot in a group, simply squirt a blast of the cold air down each barrel. The rifle will quickly return to the air temp around the rifle, and the canned air leaves no resadue in the barrels. A double rifle is designed to use four rapid shots, from a cool set of barrels! Though it may shoot well enough to fight with,after the fourth shot, it will regulate best with no more than the heat of the first four shots!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Cool Down [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #11459 - 13/03/04 07:57 AM

Dugaboy...

Why hadn't I thought of that? ...and NO smart remarks!

I have cases of starting fluid around here for my old Intertrashional tractor. Would that work, if kept off the stocks? I get it so cheap that I thought it might be an alternative to the canned air. The ether comes out colder than an IRS agent's heart!

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #11484 - 14/03/04 03:54 AM

L2s, I see no reason the starting fluid wouldn't work, as long as nobody lights a ciggerette,fires another gun close by, or breath too deaply!

Many target shooters use a large container of Freon with a hose, and trigger nozle to shoot it down the barrels. That is a little expensive for my budget, however!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Cool Down [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #11487 - 14/03/04 04:13 AM

Duga..........

I was just out shooting my cape gun this morning before the wind comes up. I used the starting fluid a lot...after about 1/2 hour I didn't give a nat's ass where it was shooting...just give me another hit on that starting fluid!

I think I need a nap

--------------------

Edited by luv2safari (14/03/04 04:14 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2207

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com