Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester 458 super grade

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
livinus
.224 member

Reged: 12/06/06
Loc: belgium
Winchester 458 super grade
      #112821 - 28/08/08 06:36 PM

My local gunmaker has a nice pre-64 M70 Super Grade in 458WM for sale. My old edition Blue Book gives a value of 3,750$ for such rifle in 100percent condition. Is this value still valid with the
making since of the Model 70 Classic? Any info will be appreciated.
Greetings,
Livinus

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: livinus]
      #112827 - 28/08/08 08:39 PM

The price of a pre-64 .458 (they were only made in Super Grade) reflects its collector's value and was not affected by the advent of the Classic version. Some of the early .458's had an annoying habit of splitting their stock, so you might want to examine this one carefully, and consider whether paying a collector's price for something you plan to use makes sense.

Where are you located?

livinus
.224 member

Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: xausa]
      #112830 - 28/08/08 09:13 PM

I live in Belgium, and because of new draconian laws on the possession of firearms, a lot of people
are selling. In this instance it appaers to be a widdow getting rid of a collection. So far she broughtin 3M70's (pre-64): a 270,a 375and the 458. Asking price is around 800euro/piece, wich is typical of the low going-rates of used bolt actions in Belgium at this time.(more people are selling than bying).
Greetings,
Livinus

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: livinus]
      #112838 - 28/08/08 10:52 PM

Quote:

I live in Belgium, and because of new draconian laws on the possession of firearms, a lot of people

***DO YOU SUPPOSE THAT WAS THE INTEND OF THE NEW LAW???

are selling. In this instance it appaers to be a widdow getting rid of a collection. So far she broughtin 3M70's (pre-64): a 270,a 375and the 458. Asking price is around 800euro/piece, wich is typical of the low going-rates of used bolt actions in Belgium at this time.(more people are selling than bying).
Greetings,
Livinus

ANY IDEA WHAT IT WOULD TAKE FOR SOMEONE IN THE US TO IMPORT A GUN FROM BELGIUM?

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: Ripp]
      #114386 - 14/09/08 12:53 PM

There is a particular type of FFL (can't remember which one) which allows for importation. I wanted to look into it as the prices for Husqvarna sporters are really cheap at a particular Canadian dealer (Trade Ex) but I don't have any idea what sorts of fees and taxes and customs and BATF crap would rain down on you when you did this. I expect an email off to the BATF would get you one of their hilariously dry, soul-less responses. (Ever read one of those things? They make Sgt. Joe Friday look like Robin Williams.)

An arm load of pre-64's might just make it worth the effort though, huh?

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: Squarebridge]
      #114387 - 14/09/08 01:05 PM

I found the email I was looking for - apparently it's a "type 08" FFL that allows you to apply for importation from the ATF.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: Squarebridge]
      #114393 - 14/09/08 03:08 PM

It is quite easy to import a rifle. Just buy it. Fill out the ATF form you can get on line for occasional importation.

Either send it to the ATF with the fee or, better yet, find a gun dealer that will send it in for you for a small charge. Around here it is $25.00.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: mickey]
      #114453 - 15/09/08 06:21 AM

Quote:

It is quite easy to import a rifle. Just buy it. Fill out the ATF form you can get on line for occasional importation.

Either send it to the ATF with the fee or, better yet, find a gun dealer that will send it in for you for a small charge. Around here it is $25.00.

Mickey, when was the last time you did this?

A friend of mine imported a number of Winchester rifles from a fellow in Canada some years ago {IIRC, before 911} and his experience was really simple. No hassles at all. But it is my understanding that the rules have been changed pretty dramatically in recent years and in fact it is now very difficult indeed to import a firearm.

Can you elaborate on your experience?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

livinus
.224 member

Re: Winchester 458 super grade [Re: 9.3x57]
      #114483 - 15/09/08 04:58 PM

I just bought the 458 African (for 600 euro). It is a first year (1956) and has two bolts trough the stock. I intend to take it to the range one of these days, along with the Krieghoff Teck 458 wich I bought last year but have no shot yet. With the M70 I got a Tasco Titan 1.25-4.5x26 scope. These scopes were an attempt by Tasco at the time to compete with the top European scopemakers but I havent seen many on used rifled. I am thinking about mounting it on the Kriegfof, wich came with factory claw mounts and rings. Does anyone have experience with these scopes on big bore rifles?
Greetings,
Livinus

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3521

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com