Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Plans for a stand-up shooting rest??
      #114054 - 09/09/08 10:43 PM

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, plans to build a stand-up shooting rest?

PS: Even good photographs would be helpful.

Edited by ronvella (09/09/08 10:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest?? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #114074 - 10/09/08 02:39 AM

Ronvella - there is a picture of the standing shooting rest in Greener's "The Gun and it's Development" 9th edition.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest?? [Re: DarylS]
      #114075 - 10/09/08 02:51 AM

"Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions" by W.Ellis Brown, has several pictures of one that is pretty self explanitory.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest?? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #114078 - 10/09/08 03:53 AM

Thanks guys, I had forgotten those two. I just leafed through my copy of "Shooting The British Double Rifle" and found a photo of one at H&H's shooting ground, page 107, Second Edition.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #127731 - 22/02/09 05:25 PM

As I do not have access to either of these books, would someone please scan the pics and post them to this site, with appropriate mention to the authors.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest?? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #127764 - 23/02/09 12:35 AM

I'd love to do that for you but something is wrong with the link between my scanner and my CPU. Every time that I try to use it, I get a message that says "port already in use", or something to that effect. My son-in-law is a computer wizard for IBM, this is an IBM machine, and he can't figure out the problem.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

#127770 - 23/02/09 01:44 AM

I won't copy and print someone else's work and put it on the internet, too much chance of getting in trouble for copyright infringement. I will tell you though, how I built a portable standup shooting bench. First I cut out a triagular piece of 3/4 inch plywood about 30 inches on a side. I nailed some short pieces of 2x4 pine with the ends cut off at a slight outward angle, say about 100 degrees, under the plywood, running from the corners inward to the center. I bevel cut the inside edges so that they would all kind of support each other where they came together in the middle. The corners of the triangular piece were cut off perpendicular to a line drawn from the middle of each corner out to the middle, leaving a two inch wide blunt corner. The 2x4's on the under side were made so the the angled ends set back from each corner of the plywood 1.5 inches.
Next , I figured out how high I wanted it to be. This is harder than you would think because it has to be just the right height to stand up at comfortably, but not low enough that you have to bend over any. I cut mine too long to start and had to cut some off all three legs till it was just right. The legs are made of 2x2's which actually measured 1.5x1.5 inches square, That's the reason the 2x4's underneith were set back from the corners. The 2x2's have to have both ends angle cut so when they are set up in their slightly splayed out position, the tops and bottom ends are paralell to the ground. The legs are then attached to the top by three long strap hinges that mount to the top surfice of the tiangle and run down the outsides of the legs.
About half way down each leg, I cut a small notch in from the outside edge. I purchased enough lightweight chain to run clear around the legs at the notched position plus enough extra to go across the triangle. The hinges on mine were left intact and can be folded over the top to collapse it flatways to be put in my pickup. The hingepins can also be removed if you want to and replace them with 16 penny nails. That way the hinges themselves could be broken down.
When you set this up, you have to fold over all three legs to the underneith position, then wrap the light chain around the legs at the notches, open one link at each end to form a hook. When setting this up, make sure that the end hooks to the chain in the middle of one side, then take the remaining tag end, go across and hook it into one of the other side chains out towards another of the corners. This pulls the legs in tight and the cross chain braces and maintains the tension. For as flimsy and lightweight as it is, it is amazingly stable when set up properly.
Mine is broken down and stored right now or I would have included a picture of it set up. I think I have given you enough information to build one if you read this closely. If you have any questions, ask away. Bob H.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #127772 - 23/02/09 01:52 AM

Bob,

Next time you get yours out I would appreciate some photos of it. Sounds like a good design. I just can't visualize it from the description.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Plans for a stand-up shooting rest?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #127826 - 23/02/09 01:03 PM

As per posting material on the net; if you include credits to the author, you will be ok.

Your standing rest sounds very good however, I have difficulty picturing the process. When you get a chance, please post some pics. I would be greatlful.

Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Birdhunter50
.375 member

#127987 - 25/02/09 06:50 AM

Guys,
Here are a few pictures that will show my folding shooting stand so you will be able to understand the construction of it better than by my poor discription. This is nothing fancy, just a quick and dirty stand made up of scraps and some strap hinges. If I would remove the hinge pins and replace them with nails, this could be made to lay down flat, that might be better. Bob H.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#128000 - 25/02/09 10:19 AM

Bob, Your stand-up rest has one MAJOR fault. I'm 6'10" and it has no provision for extending the height of the legs.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

#128046 - 25/02/09 11:48 PM

ronvella,
That's because it was built to fit me. Here's a clue for you, when you make yours you can cut the legs to a longer length, OR, you could strap a handyman jack to each leg and then it could be raised up to your height. For folks of lesser height, you will have to dig three holes to set the legs into. Bob H.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 806

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com