Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Unknown revolver

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Unknown revolver
      #113990 - 09/09/08 04:42 AM

Hello

My friend just bought this revolver. There isn't any marks or text so we are curious to know where and when this gun has been made. I hope somebody can help us.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigger_is_best
.275 member

Reged: 16/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Unknown revolver [Re: Igorrock]
      #114012 - 09/09/08 12:51 PM

A few more picturs would be interesting, but here is my first impression

Only guessing, but I suspect it may be a home-made firearm rather than one from a manufacturer or gunmaker.

Reasons;

The only other time I have seen a cylinder index that works on a ball and spring was on a homemade weapon from northern Ireland.

The two piece frame does not have the usual wedge to attach to the axis pin.

The ramrod and it's pivot just looks home grown and unlike anything I have seen on a production gun.

The overall fit and finish just looks like work from the back yard shed

Having said all that it could be an overly cleaned and reasembled gun, but I would think very carefully before using it.
The overall workmanship looks OK for an early workshop project, but does not look anything like "profesional"
Many guns come from Afgahnistan that are chopped out of trainlines, but I don't think this would be one of those. They generaly copy a proven design, although the metalurgy is suspect. This seems to be a straight "how can I do this bit" effort.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Unknown revolver [Re: bigger_is_best]
      #114014 - 09/09/08 01:09 PM

It wouldn't be something cobbled up in the Confederacy during the American Civil War to make up for the lack of Colts, would it?

bigger_is_best
.275 member

Reged: 16/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Unknown revolver [Re: Paul]
      #114177 - 11/09/08 02:33 PM

Anything is possible. From what I see in this picture the following things “feel wrong”

The frame above the trigger is part of the front/barrel assembly, where on almost all other revolvers, particularly open top models, it would be part of the rear frame.

The set up with the nipples set at the back of the cylinder and shielded inside the recoil shield is reminiscent of the older pepperbox style. While it might protect the shooter from cap fragments it increases the risk of chainfire by trapping any leaked flame in around the other nipples. Unusual setup.

The deep capping groove, necessitated by the previous comment, is unusual.

The rear frame looks as though it may be made up from separate parts, although this cannot be seen in the picture.

Where the handgrip, frame and triggergaurd meet they all overlap, where they would usually come together smoothly.

The trigger appears to have a distinct change in direction, a ‘corner’ rather than a smooth curve.

The bullet seating recess near the ramrod is unusual and suggests the front frame is too wide for the cylinder.

The ramrod appears to be angled in relation to the chamber where it should be directly in line. It is also not well supported where it passes through the frame.

I see nothing to lock the ramrod in the stored position, meaning it could drop down during use and jam the gun.

There appears to be a rear sight above the barrel forcing cone, where it would usually be towards the rear of the frame.

The way the timber drops down to the frame without being inlet is unusual, as is the two grip screws, where most revolvers are inlet and have only one screw.

I would like to think Igorrock has found a rare gun that has slipped quietly into history, but I suspect a home-grown gun is more likely.

More details and pictures would be interesting, whatever the case. What calibre, is it rifled, etc.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com