Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #114776 - 19/09/08 12:11 AM

You're right, Rod. Once fully engraved at the breech end of the barrel, they are easily shoved down the tube, creating no more 'stress' against the barrel walls.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
      #114799 - 19/09/08 03:43 AM

Great picture Am i seeing it right? It appears that there is metal flow from the land impression that remains proud of the full diameter of the bullet that starts at least from the last groove to the base of the bullet.

If so - that means that the bullet is slightly undersized and it appears that the full thickness of the bullet is not riding on the groove of the bbl. Or in other words, the lands push their way into 90% (or so) of the bullet diamter, but even then, there is still room in the bbl for the bullet metal to extrude out from the full diameter of the bullet.

It stands to reason, that in this particular rifle, there is in my opinion, little chance that a bbl will bulge to accomodate this "undersized" round. Unless the steel of the bbl will expand in sectional area easier then the metal of the bullet shearing away. I think that the metal of the bullet would shear far easier and quicker then an expansion of the bbl steel.

Just my layman's views.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #114813 - 19/09/08 06:07 AM

Quote:

93: A good example of metal displacement to be sure. SOME does appear to have been pushed back along the bands and I would think such displacement could stress lands more than with a softskinned jacketed bullet {?} but that seems to be the reason such bullets are purposefully made slightly undersize. But the lion's share looks to have smeared back into the groove behind each band as noted above. And your barrel seems to have allowed the lateral expansion.

Of course, a thick-STEEL-jacketed bullet is going to cause stress, too, and thus the need for some sort of comparative test as Daryl called for in the first place. And Barnes says in the posted material that they have performed such a test using pressure as the standard by which to compare the two. Maybe pressure is not the only thing that should be examined and compared, but can we make sense of a statement that pressure has nothing to do with OSR? Such a statement would seem to be ridiculous.

The bronze French Balle D bullet is one example of a "hard" {or is it?} bullet used in massive quantities. Another example is various military AP rounds and some standard military steel core bullets with excessively thin lead envelopes under the steel or gilding metal jacket. Some such bullets have been noted as being hard on barrels but the damage is normally noted as increased rifling wear.

Could it be that the typical military barrel is just thick enough that it supports the rifling so as not to allow and expansion of the brrael beyond its springback capability and the doubles with osr have tubes so thin they lack this support?

Sounds plausible, but this nevertheless doesn't explain the existence {if it exists} of osr showing up on the whole length of the barrel unless bullets are not engraved, and the lands are merely "getting out of their way" the whole length of the bullets trip down the bore.

Can anyone show a pic of a recovered bullet that is NOT engraved?

This has been a fun mental exercise, sort of like twisting a Rubic's Cube.

Except nobody seems to have been able to line up the colors yet.

"Can anyone show a pic of a recovered bullet that is NOT engraved?"

I don't have any photos of the spent North Forks I've shot on photobucket. But the North Forks are a true driving band bullet and the body of the bullet is NOT engraved. Only the bands engage the rifling, the body does not. The photo of the Barnes displays the problem, the body of the bullet IS engraved, unlike that of a true driving band bullet, North Fork or GS Customs for example.

Also, regarding the driving bands on the North Fork or GS Custom, the spacing is such that there is more width between the bands than the width of the bands. So all of the material displaced when the bands engrave fits between the bands.

Perhaps someone can post a photo of an expended North Fork or GS Custom?

JPK

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: JPK]
      #114829 - 19/09/08 11:58 AM

Quote:

JPK

JPK:

No FMJ's from NF, but here is a Barnes TSX. This bullet was fired from my SAKO .375 and recovered from my boards and jugs test media. Looks like some material was pushed laterally, but the band does not look like it contacted the bottom of the groove {?}.

A few comments...

First, the topic is Barnes Banded Solids. It isn't Bubba's Bore Busters. So any experience anybody has MIGHT be legit since Barnes is not speaking for Bubba, but rather for Barnes Banded Solids. Throwing rocks at Barnes because some Joemoke made a bad bullet is like swearing off all FMJ's because some AP rounds rub lands smooth too fast.

I have no experience with Barnes Banded Solids. I have not shot them. Barnes says they are good to go for doubles. So far nobody has disproven that assertion or even made any attempt to do so except to paint the company the color of evil with a broad brush.

Maybe some monos are bad. Maybe some have blown up some guns. Maybe they have reversed the rifling on a truckfull of doubles. "Dozens" even. Maybe, maybe. I've asked questions in good faith, only to be met with ear-deafening silence by those who claim to know. I'd like to know. I'd like to see if SOME monos are bad, and maybe some aren't, or maybe all are bad?

Or, maybe Barnes is...maybe...could it be...telling the truth about their Banded Solids?

I read of 400Nitro's attempt to resize a mono. He almost busted his bench doing it.

Ahhh! Finally, something I have some experience at. Maybe alot of experience. Resizing .375 bullets down to 9.3, a bit farther than 400 goes IIRC.

I grabbed a Barnes TSX and tried to run it from .375 to .370 {first step in my drawing die series}.

I failed.

No way I wanted to break my bench or ruin my die. I reefed on it a bit but I gave up. Threw in the towel. The Barnes TSX was too hard to get thru the die. Too tough. I've resized many .375 bullets down to .368, .367, .366 and .365 diameters. No dice on the solid copper-alloy Barnes TSX.

Must be a barrel blower, right?

Maybe. All these maybes...

But before the Anti-Barnes crowd experiences an earthshaking, collective, ballistic orgasm, lemme add...

I couldn't push a pussywillow-bud HORNADY "thin" steel-jacketed FMJ through either!! No dice, and that thing totally seized up the die. Had to beat on a steel rod for some time till I got it out.

You guys, I don't know.

Maybe some monos are really bad stuff and will wreck your double.

Maybe some guys are trying to protect the value of old, worn out, poorly designed, poorly made, poorly refinished or otherwise suspect, ruined guns by blaming the next best thing from the truth, the Barnes solid.

When I started this inquiry, I really had no idea what the truth is, but since I can't get anybody from the Anti-Barnes crowd to upload a picture, I'm left thinking they are just making it up or inferring guilt by association.

What else can a guy think?

Heck, there's $400 laying on the table waiting for proof. Are ALL double gun owners THAT rich that they are content to leave it there?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #114831 - 19/09/08 12:14 PM

Just for fun I ran the calcs

To duplicate just a 28,000psi cartridge pressure on the base of that bullet you would have to weigh 253164.55 lbs/press ratio.

You just need some more macs and fries !!! :-)

Regards

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #114832 - 19/09/08 12:19 PM

1. The bands are way too thick which will cause temporary barrel bulging which can break the solder.

2. The base has no grooves so it will cause barrel bulging, broken solder, pressure spikes, etc., defeating the purpose of the grooves that are actually there.

This is all just my personal opinion of course.

A great monolithic solid for doubles:

www.gscustom.co.za

JPK
.375 member

#114833 - 19/09/08 12:30 PM

Go to AccurateReloading.com

In the African Hunting board are several threads on photos of spent bullets. There is one on North Forks. Take a look and you will see why the Barnes in a serious contender for bore busting while the driving band bullets are not.

Maybe your computer skills are up to "stealing" a photo from there? Mine are unfortunately not.

What you will see in the North Fork photos is a true driving band bullet where the shank or body of the bullet is under not only bore diameter but land diameter as well. There is no engraving of the shank or body of the bullet. The only material displaced is the material of the driving bands, and there is sufficient volume between the driving bands to accomodate all of the displaced material.

On the other hand, while the groves of the Barnes appear sufficiently spaced to accomodate displeced material, the shank of the Barnes, above and below the bands is engraved. The material has to go somewhere and some of it appears to go to the sides, but not all. There is compression of the shank as well, I'd bet. And so the real risk of braking solder joints, maybe the reversed rifling issue as well.

JPK

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #114852 - 19/09/08 04:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe your computer skills are up to "stealing" a photo from there? Mine are unfortunately not.

JPK

I wont steel it but i will link it . http://home.comcast.net/~bcamp/Misc/Northfork370.jpg

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #114853 - 19/09/08 04:17 PM

Quote:

JPK

here you go JPK

best

peter

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #114854 - 19/09/08 04:51 PM

Quote:

JPK

Here is a GSFN 265 gr. from the same Merkel:

closeup:

Also a Bridger from 9,3x62:

closeup:

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 93mouse]
      #114855 - 19/09/08 05:19 PM

And a NF from AR:

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #114857 - 19/09/08 06:27 PM

This overstressed rifling/mono bullet deal is something I have been attempting to research for a couple of years now.
There is a lot to it all that's for sure, and I can tell you that what you are looking at here at the moment, is IMO just the tip of the iceberg.
It is easy to get caught up in all this business about the monos being difficult or impossible to push through a drawing die in a reloading press bolted to a wooden bench, but how relevant is this compared to shooting those bullets in a double rifle?
Someones bench started to split when he was trying to push a mono type bullet through a reducing die in a reloading press which normally can easily swage conventional bullets without difficulty.
My feelings on this is, ok, so it proves that the mono is harder to reduce than the conventional bullet.
No surprises there, surely, but does the split bench point to broken rib joints and OSR on double rifles?
To me all it really proves is that reducing the diameter of the conventional bullet is within the capabilities of that particular press/die/mounting system but the mono is beyond it.

9Three,
I'm pleased to see that you brought up the fact about the bullet being engraved/sized in the heavy barrel section forward of the chamber.
For a couple of years now I have been having a chuckle every time the super thin DR barrel theory (being a contributing factor of OSR) crops up.

But, like I said, there is a lot more to the story.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 4seventy]
      #114882 - 19/09/08 11:09 PM

Its a real shame that North Fork ceased production

Gerard
.224 member

Reged: 12/06/05
Loc: N/A
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #114883 - 19/09/08 11:39 PM

GSC has been mentioned a number of times so, for the record, our position on the mono bullet in a double rifle debate is simple: If a double rifle delaminates as a result of using GSC drive band bullets in it, we will pay for the repair.

Smokinjoe
.275 member

Reged: 04/05/05
Loc: USA
      #114886 - 20/09/08 12:24 AM

Quote:

Its a real shame that North Fork ceased production

I received e-mail from Mike this morning. He stated that the business was sold and the new owners have moved the equipment out. He also said that he expected the new guys to have the African series bullets available in a few months; check the website for info.

--------------------
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 4seventy]
      #114888 - 20/09/08 12:32 AM

Quote:

9Three,
I'm pleased to see that you brought up the fact about the bullet being engraved/sized in the heavy barrel section forward of the chamber.

Very true.
Also, I would like to see a cross section of a fired Woodleigh which has its lead core protruding from the bottom as JPK mentions. I'm guessing that Ripps original post shows an unfired sectioned FMJ Woodleigh. If this actually happens, deformation of the interior walls would show that the bullet is being "squeezed" in the bore, supporting the "hard shell - chewy center" theory. Difficult, though, to say this happened in the barrel and not on impact.
Secondly, I find it interesting that this has stoked such debate.
I would suspect that the double rifle fraternity makes up for less than 1% of Barnes' sales and with such a variety of tried and tested bullets on the market, why bother? IMO, unless you are shooting an elephant, you simply don't need monosolid bullets, and in reality, not even then.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

450_366
.400 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Huvius]
      #114889 - 20/09/08 12:50 AM

[quoteI would suspect that the double rifle fraternity makes up for less than 1% of Barnes' sales and with such a variety of tried and tested bullets on the market, why bother? IMO, unless you are shooting an elephant, you simply don't need monosolid bullets, and in reality, not even then.

If they say it will harm a double, how many do you think would think it over before they shoot them in any other rifle?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Gerard]
      #114890 - 20/09/08 12:52 AM

Quote:

GSC has been mentioned a number of times so, for the record, our position on the mono bullet in a double rifle debate is simple: If a double rifle delaminates as a result of using GSC drive band bullets in it, we will pay for the repair.

Even less reason to worry about whether Barnes is suitable
For me, the real debate is whether the drive-band solid is actually superior to the full length FMJ........
I'm pretty sure I can anticipate what a few responses will be!

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 450_366]
      #114892 - 20/09/08 01:19 AM

Quote:

If they say it will harm a double, how many do you think would think it over before they shoot them in any other rifle?

That sort of supports my point.
The ONLY reason I can think of using a monometal is if you are in an area in which the radical greens have placed restrictions on lead bullets, ie. condor country. No dangerous game there...
I honestly cannot think of a real world benefit to using them in any firearm.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

#114912 - 20/09/08 07:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Even less reason to worry about whether Barnes is suitable
For me, the real debate is whether the drive-band solid is actually superior to the full length FMJ........
I'm pretty sure I can anticipate what a few responses will be!

A truncated cone flat nose solid is better than a round nose solid for penetration. North Fork and GS Custom have truncated cone flat noses. Barnes does not.

Maybe the best of both worlds wll turn out to be the non-truncated cone flat nose 500gr Hornaday steel jacketed, lead cored solid.

Even though the flat noses are better for penetration, the .458", 500gr round nose steel jackets solid Woodleighs I've used at 2145fps MV have provided enough. The 450gr North Forks at 2190fps MV have provided quite a bit more than enough.

JPK

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #114915 - 20/09/08 08:18 AM

Quote:

The ONLY reason I can think of using a monometal is if you are in an area in which the radical greens have placed restrictions on lead bullets, ie. condor country. No dangerous game there...
I honestly cannot think of a real world benefit to using them in any firearm.

My comment here is a little off topic, but Huvius' remarks hits one of my questions I've been wondering about these past 15 years of bullets and shooting that John Barness raises often on 24hourcampfire:

Are we getting a little to obsessed with quality bullets?

We've gotten to a point where I've read people on internet forums and at the range give lectures on how you can't trust those "old bullets" on whitetails. That you "need" a [fill in the blank with bonded, cup nose, monometal, etc] to take down that deer or boar.

Sure after capebuffalo and elephant, pass the super-duper bullets, but most of the game commonly hunted in North America or Europe?

I've seen a some very nice one shot kills on LARGE black bears with Remington corelokts, and a good brown bear killed with one shot of an 'passe' nosler partition from a 300WM. I know samples of one or a handful, but...

I was hunting with a buddy on some mouflon cull hunts here in Hawaii. The federal game control guys were with us and they shot boars and mouflon all the time, killing several each week for sevearal years. My buddy was really "into" premium bullets at the time and asked the game control guy with us what type of bullets he used. They said Hornady interlocks. My buddy almost rolled his eyes and then proceded to lecture the guy on how "there are a lot of problems with those bullets, and..." The game control guy said, "Hey, I shoot these every day, and the animals die. That's good enough for me."

Again, sorry for the off-topic rant!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

450_366
.400 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Chasseur]
      #114950 - 20/09/08 05:38 PM

Jeapp the old style does work good enought, but that does an 50 year old car olso. I think anyone would choose the never car over the old one even if he probably never will get into an accident.
But most of my rounds are loaded with conventional style bullet and i have never lost any game to it.
But isnt a interlok and corelok a middle thing between an old style core and a bonded bullet?

But back to the brass solids, do they harm (the barrels not the game offcourse) or dont they?

--------------------
Andreas

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Chasseur]
      #114953 - 20/09/08 06:00 PM

The fact is that the actual bullets do the killing.A better bullet acting within the velocity/energy parameters of the cartridge/rifle hunted makes a better mousetrap.

The complication is when the bullet may damage the shooting platform as discussed and cussed above.Think I'll stay with the Woodleigh's and possibly the driving band bullets as the cutting edge technology available for my Double.Barnes mono bullets seem like they would be the hardest on the bore and "structure" of a Double rifle.I would even have a concern over the solid wall of the partition in a Swift A Frame obturating a Double's barrel!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #115003 - 21/09/08 02:32 AM

Quote:

The fact is that the actual bullets do the killing.A better bullet acting within the velocity/energy parameters of the cartridge/rifle hunted makes a better mousetrap.

I'm confused about this "new" bullet technology. In what way are these bullets better?
They certainly don't mushroom better, so it could be argued that in this they are not better.
Unless striking heavy bone, they will pass right through like any solid. Better? No.
Risk of decreased barrel life or damage, real or perceived. A good attribute? No.

So, can anyone with experience shooting these and regular FMJ solids with comparisons in on-game performance give us results outside of the theoretical realm?
How can we accept that tens and maybe hundreds of thousands of one shot kills on dangerous game in the past century were in any way accomplished with "inferior" bullets?

I must confess, I am firmly in the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" camp. For me, this applies to my guns, chamberings, and the ammunition. IMHO, there's not much in the post-war (WW2) hunting world which I would classify as measurable improvement in killing performance. Powders may be just about it...

Back to the topic, can the solid brass bullets be annealed to make them a little softer?

--------------------

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #115011 - 21/09/08 04:21 AM

Again I'm with Huvius here. "Better in what sense"?

Penetration and controlled expansion on heavy game? Sure I'll buy it. Going after heavy game in Africa or water buffalo, etc. But for normal hunting of while tails, boar, etc?

But doubt I'll shoot anything larger than an elk or more red stag in the future. Do I NEED a Barnes monometal bullet to kill a red stag?

Perhaps, on these lighter game I'd do better with an old fashioned bullet that opened up earlier and did not penetrate as much? (I know elk and stag are tougher than whitetails, but they are not cape buffalo) I know everyone has strong feelings on how much penetration is necessary, but I've yet to see many traditional bullets in the appropriate caliber that do not do their job on "common game".

Again, I'm a traditionalist and I'm wary of marketing fads that tell me I "need" a new product etc. Sorry for the rant. I'll bow out here since this is a distraction from the topic at hand, sorry about taking the threat off topic.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 41549

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com