Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-???
      #113791 - 07/09/08 02:20 AM

This was in a newletter I get monthly via email from Barnes---thought those who reload and shoot doubles would find this interesting...

Ripp

Here’s a test question for you: True or false? Barnes Banded Solids create higher pressures, and therefore should not be fired in some double rifles, particularly older guns with softer barrel steel.

Answer: False! Read on. I’ll explain why and bolster our case with test data.

Rumors are floating around on internet forums, chat rooms, blogs and by word-of-mouth that some firearm manufacturers are recommending full metal jackets or soft points only for use in their rifles, no mono-metal solids. Because our Banded Solids are in the mono-metal class, customers have asked for our feedback. More specifically, people want to know if our Banded Solids create higher pressures than the competition’s jacketed soft points and full metal jackets to the point their rifle could be damaged. For the record, we’ve been presented with one occurrence of this nature to date, but it didn’t involve a Barnes solid. Holland & Holland reported to us that a monolithic solid manufactured by another company actually damaged one of their rifles. However, this particular company was at one time using melted down, reclaimed cartridge case brass to manufacture their monolithic solids. Barnes has always used pure, virgin material for our Solids, and now Banded Solids.

According to some blog and forum posts, there are a number of factors involved that must be taken into account such as barrel thickness and even the age of the barrel. Let’s look at the facts. Mono-metal solids are made of a solid alloy such as bronze or brass. Full metal jackets are made from a steel cup with a copper wash applied to the surface of the steel. A lead core is inserted in the base and the “cup” is then closed to form the base of the bullet. If what these folks are saying is true about thin barrels and older steel being more “sensitive,” then wouldn’t steel on steel produce a higher friction coefficient than brass alloy on steel?

The Barnes Banded Solid is slightly under-sized. We do this to accommodate the great variety of tolerances found in double rifles. It is a fact that some double rifle barrels are out of spec on bore and groove diameters. In a perfect world we would build bullets to fit each individual throat and barrel, but this is simply not feasible. So we try to build bullets that will work safely for the majority. SAAMI requires that diameters on all sporting rifles not exceed +.002”, but double rifles were being built long before SAAMI came into existence.

The material used to manufacture Barnes Banded Solids will not obturate at less than 45,000 psi. So how is it that a turned bullet, slightly undersized in diameter, held to precision tolerances on a CNC machine that will NOT obturate, create excessive pressure or damage a barrel that is even close to within spec? I submit that a full metal jacket comprised of a .003” thick copper-plated steel core engraving into the lands and grooves is going to be much harder on a barrel.

To further reduce bearing surface and pressure, Barnes has cut a series of grooves in the shank of the mono-metal solid that provides any material displaced by the lands someplace to go. Full metal jackets do not have this feature. Steel on steel is not the desired scenario for a rifle barrel, especially if what people are saying is true about the older barrels being made from softer material. Is the steel in the jacket material softer or harder than the barrel steel? In general, we don’t know the answer to this as the metal used for double rifle barrels has varied to such a great extent over the years. However, we know for a fact that the brass in Barnes Banded Solids IS softer than barrel steel. We also know that the grooves cut in the shank provide an area for the softer material to displace.

Still skeptical? Of course you are. You want proof and we figured you would, so we performed pressure tests. Hopefully, the results will put this myth and your mind to rest. While we were at it, we shot some penetration tests to compare Barnes bullets with one of our leading competitors on the African market.

I believe the “high pressure with all mono-metal solids” propaganda was spread via the old “someone heard something from someone” and so on, and so on. If someone out there is aware of an actual case involving pressure issues with BARNES mono-metal solids, I would ask that these people contact Barnes personally. We would like the opportunity to investigate any such claim. Based on our tests and experience, I’m comfortable stating that Barnes Banded Solids are better for antique barrels than the competition.

For our test, we fired 500 grain bullets in a 470 Nitro test barrel with 85.0 grains of RL15, Norma brass and Federal 215M primers

Edited by Ripp (07/09/08 04:52 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Ripp]
      #113811 - 07/09/08 07:46 AM

Nothing new here. Barnes has been peddling this for years. I got the same directly from their tech guy a couple years ago. I view it as a red herring.

Quote:

Rumors are floating around on internet forums, chat rooms, blogs and by word-of-mouth that some firearm manufacturers are recommending full metal jackets or soft points only for use in their rifles, no mono-metal solids.

True.

Quote:

More specifically, people want to know if our Banded Solids create higher pressures than the competition’s jacketed soft points and full metal jackets to the point their rifle could be damaged.

I suppose it's possible that Barnes might get a few queries couched in those terms from new DR shooters unfamiliar with the issue, but not otherwise. Clearly, Barnes' position is that if pressures are normal and their bullet metal hardness is less than that of the barrels, then virtually by definition, their bullets cannot damage the barrels of a double. For many years, I've discussed this issue extensively with many in the trade and many experienced shooters in the DR community, and I can't recall any experienced person familiar with the problem ever suggesting that overstressed rifling had anything to do with excessive pressure. Barnes seems to be the sole source of this sophistic contention. Kinda reminds me of the old joke about the Anti-Masturbation Drive sponsored by The Society to Prevent Blindness.

Quote:

For the record, we’ve been presented with one occurrence of this nature to date

Not true.

Quote:

The material used to manufacture Barnes Banded Solids will not obturate at less than 45,000 psi.

No kidding? No wonder.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #113817 - 07/09/08 09:04 AM

Leaving over stressed rifling aside, the issue that should keep DR shooters off Barnes is the issue of breaking the solder joint between the barrels. There own data on obturation points to the potential for trouble. And if you've ever shot a steel jacketed Woodleigh, you know there is a small lead tit on the base after firing, confirmation that the bullet squeezed down to fit your bore, like the Barnes won't. Broken solder bonds and rejoining rib is not an unrepairable issue or even an expensive one, but why risk it?

Also, you gotta love the penetration numbers given. 39.5" for the Woodleighs at about 120fps SLOWER THAN THE BARNES. Likewise the Woodleigh softs. Please, how 'bout apples to apples? With that kind of disingenous delivery of stats, it wouldn't suprise me if the Woodleighs equaled or exceeded the Barnes.

JPK

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #113820 - 07/09/08 09:55 AM

A few questions occur to me on this matter.

If Barnes bullets won't obtuate at less than 45,000 psi, does that mean they might promote throat erosion from young gas?

Barnes's soft-metal, driving-band defence seems plausible - can anyone explain why that would not mitigate damage to rifles?

What is the empirical/observed evidence from the other side on monos causing damage?

Is anyone surprised that the softpoint/softpoint-substitute bullets gave higher pressures than the 'solids'? (A recent thread on NE seemed to establish that Woodleigh and other FMJ bullets generally give higher pressures than softpoints with the same amounts of powder.)

The table presented at least seems evenhanded in that it gives a free kick to Woodleigh softpoints over the Barnes TSX in both pressures and accuracy.

- Paul

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Paul]
      #113822 - 07/09/08 10:01 AM

Things Banres doesn't mention.

Woodleigh Bullets are tapered and so only the base of the bullet is actually the full diameter and the rest tapers slightly.

Personally, SN and FMJ's work for me so I can't see
any reason why I need to change.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #113827 - 07/09/08 11:06 AM

Woodleighs work great for me as well...

I knew this would create a bit of discussion, and honestly was meant to be more of a bit of information if anyone was thinking of using Barnes for their doubles...have never heard anything good about using Barnes in a double..

In my bolt actions, that is a different story...the triple shocks in most calibers shoot very well and are like the hammer of Thor when they hit game...

From everything I have read here or otherwise...Woodleighs seem to be the bullet of choice for doubles..

Thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #113830 - 07/09/08 11:19 AM

What exactly causes a solder joint to break? What do you see in their data on obturation that points to the potential for this? Understand, I'm not arguing, just trying to learn.

Armbar.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #113832 - 07/09/08 11:32 AM

Per the discussion above, I agree, it seems the the "tapered" FMJ Woodleighs seem to be the way to go.

A Double may shoot the Barnes accurately but the pressures to obturate?? Alot of wear and tear on the Double when a better way is already alternately available,

I think the GS banded monometal bullet is a completely different critter than a Barnes solid for Doubles but that is a different discussion.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

WVFRED
.300 member

Reged: 17/01/05
Loc: Charleston WV
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: armbar]
      #113833 - 07/09/08 11:33 AM

If anyone would like to chance it I have 340 400gr. .408 Barnes solids I would like to sell.

Edited by WVFRED (07/09/08 11:34 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #113834 - 07/09/08 11:43 AM

Quote:

Per the discussion above, I agree, it seems the the "tapered" FMJ Woodleighs seem to be the way to go.

FYI, The SN Woodleigh's are also tapered.

As most are probably aware, Woodleigh's are made to the same shape that the original Kynoch bullets were made.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #113841 - 07/09/08 12:11 PM

I don't particularly care for Barnes or any other monometal bullet. I'm old fashioned and use Nosler Partitions and when I need solids I use Woodleighs. I would like,however, to question the 'taper' on Woodleigh solids. I'm sitting here looking at a 470 Woodleigh solid I removed from an Elephant I shot in Zimbabwe in 2001. It is SLIGHTLY flattened (it hit ribs on both sides and was found on the offside under,but in the skin). If the bullet has any significent taper it is in FRONT of the crimp groove as the rifling inpressions start approximately 1/16" in front of the crimp groove and extend completely to the rear to the base. They appear to be of equal depth thru a magnifying glass. This is at least 13/16ths of an inch on a bullet approximately 1 3/8ths overall. The ogive of the bullet seems to start immediately in front of the crimp groove. I just miked 5 new unfired woodleigh 470 bullets (500gr FMJ) and get less than a half a thousandth difference from the crimp groove to the base. I can't believe any taper they have is of any significence. There is a protrusion of lead at the base of approximately 3/16" diameter and less than a 1/16' high indicating to me the bullet was significently compressed. This bullet was from a Federal factory load.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? *DELETED* [Re: zimhunter]
      #113843 - 07/09/08 01:08 PM

Post deleted by 500grains

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 500grains]
      #113850 - 07/09/08 02:26 PM

what about the nosler solid,or the hornaday dgb,or a squares solid,i have shot barnes by the thousands out of a thin german weatherby with no problems to barrel.what does it do to the barrel to mess up the barrel joining,when the barrel is thicker.i am puzzled.i am thinking science copper is softer than steel compresses easyer,why would a steel core not do the same when steel gives less has anyone noticed in the cross section there seems no differance between the two,the steel does not show signs of compression from rifleing therefore not giving ,i asked merkel the say barnes is safe in thier rifles,zoli states the same.thats all the info i have

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: JPK]
      #113863 - 07/09/08 04:52 PM

Quote:

Leaving over stressed rifling aside, the issue that should keep DR shooters off Barnes is the issue of breaking the solder joint between the barrels. There own data on obturation points to the potential for trouble.

I agree entirely. No question at all that this is an issue due to the inability to obturate.

Quote:

And if you've ever shot a steel jacketed Woodleigh, you know there is a small lead tit on the base after firing, confirmation that the bullet squeezed down to fit your bore, like the Barnes won't.

Bingo. The slight extrusion at the base confirms compression to fit the bore. Lead core bullets, including steel jacketed, have a compressible core that permits them to do just that. Monos don't, and can't.

Quote:

Broken solder bonds and rejoining rib is not an unrepairable issue or even an expensive one, but why risk it?

I agree, it isn't worth the risk. A failed solder joint is definitely repairable, and I don't disagree at all that, relative to the cost of a double rifle worth buying to begin with, the cost of properly done repairs shouldn't be a blip on the screen, but some might disagree. A loose rib must be stripped off and relaid, which almost always requires re-blacking. Never had to have this done, but a good friend did recently. $1100. If the joint pops on either side of the muzzle wedge, it seems to me that it might also require re-regulation ($600), but I don't know for sure. I know of this happening with a Holland .465 recently, but....I didn't think to ask. I think it bears observing that while loose ribs are repairable, OSR is not.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Paul]
      #113867 - 07/09/08 07:01 PM

Paul:

Quote:

If Barnes bullets won't obtuate at less than 45,000 psi, does that mean they might promote throat erosion from young gas?

This essentially duplicates Dan's question above. Erosion from blow by seems a reasonable assumption to me.

Quote:

Barnes's soft-metal, driving-band defence seems plausible - can anyone explain why that would not mitigate damage to rifles?

That's the point. If it's so hard that it won't obturate below 45,000 PSI, it isn't soft at all. Note that the maximum operating pressures of ALL flanged nitro express cartridges over .375 (large bore double rifle cartridges) are below 45,000 PSI, excepting the .500/.416. The inability to obturate is the danger to DRs. Further, the Barnes solid and TSX are not of true driving band design. The full diameter "bands" are far too wide to permit the necessary compression.

Quote:

What is the empirical/observed evidence from the other side on monos causing damage?

The two common forms of damage have been noted above - failed solder joints and OSR. I've seen both, OSR being the most common. Failed solder joints are self explanatory. The constant excessive expansion and contraction of the barrel metal due to the repeated passage of non-compressible bullets can cause perfectly good rib and muzzle wedge solder joints to fail.

OSR is a well known problem with mono-metal bullets in doubles that, for some reason I can't understand, seems to be very difficult for many to see, even when it's severe. It's caused by a non-compressible bullet too hard for the barrel passing down the bore, forcing the lands outward. The displaced metal has to go somewhere - to the outside of the barrels. The easiest way to detect it is to point the rifle at a light source with a straight edge next to it (a window pane is usually perfect) and look for the spirals (the reverse "imprint" of the rifling) pushed through to the outside of the barrels. This type of damage is common, and it isn't repairable. I can truthfully state that I've seen dozens of examples.

Gregor Woods mentions that in extreme cases of OSR, the barrels can actually end up bent. I can't be certain, but I think I've seen this once. The barrels were sucessfully straightened.

Steel jacketed solids have been available in factory ammuntion for double rifles, and in wide use in them, for almost 60 years. OSR doesn't seem to have become a regular issue in DRs until mono-metal bullets began to take hold in the '80s. I've shot up a lot of old steel Kynoch in a variety of rifles, including a batch of steel jacketed Kynoch SOFTS in .470 (before I knew how rare they were), and plenty of Woodleigh solids. I've never observed a problem of any kind. I've also shot a very few monos in doubles on two occasions, and got damage both times, in one case severe. The latter was with Barnes X, a total of less than 50 rounds (less than 25 rounds through each tube).

At flanged nitro express DR velocities (2000-2100 fps), I don't see any advantage monos offer, let alone enough to justify the risk.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: bwananelson]
      #113868 - 07/09/08 07:17 PM

Quote:

i have shot barnes by the thousands out of a thin german weatherby with no problems to barrel.

It isn't a bolt rifle issue. Bolt rifles typically have a min wall thickness of .125" or more. A few double rifles do too, but they're clubs. Most doubles are much thinner. For example, the Chapuis 9.3 is quite popular today. I've measured several - usually .078" to .079".

Quote:

i am puzzled.i am thinking science copper is softer than steel compresses easyer,why would a steel core not do the same when steel gives less

The core isn't steel. It's lead. The jacket is steel enclosed in a copper sheath to protect the rifling. The lead core makes the steel jacketed bullet compressible. The mono isn't, because it doesn't have one.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #113874 - 07/09/08 08:06 PM

Quote:

I've also shot a very few monos in doubles on two occasions, and got damage both times, in one case severe. The latter was with Barnes X, a total of less than 50 rounds (less than 25 rounds through each tube).

400 NE,
As the OSR is such an interesting topic, would you please give us the details on the quote above?

Make and chambering of rifle, exact type of bullet, the load and velocity etc, plus a good description of the actual damage would be good.
Thanks

Naren
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Somewhere
      #113876 - 07/09/08 08:12 PM

The reason for the lesser velocity of the Woodleigh solid in the penetration test most likely was that round nose solids penetrate bone and oak a lot better than flat nose solids... The flat point creates a lot more resistance and a 6 inch of oak wood is a tough barrier... At similar velocity the Woodleigh was most probably better.... The flat nose gives advantage only in flesh / ballistic gellatine... The oak decelerated down the Barnes solid that much that even the flat nose could not help him outpenetrate the woodleigh in gelletine so they lunched the woodleigh at lesser velocity...

PS. Is that recovered Barnes solid in the photo slightly flattened at the tip? Or is it just my eyes? They gave a deformated bullet for the ad I wonder is this through oversight or their solids always deform...

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 4seventy]
      #113879 - 07/09/08 08:25 PM

Superb discussion on monometal solid bullets!!!!

And solids are what you must have available if you are going after certain DG!!

Why risk a $10,000 plus Double by shooting non compressible bullets that require Double pressures at the max even to obturate?!!

What about Nosler pations with the solid partion in the bullets.What pressures are required to obturate this bullet?? Is this bullet a potential problem for Double rifles??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (07/09/08 08:54 PM)

Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #113896 - 08/09/08 01:30 AM

Mark,
Do you believe the new manufactured doubles can handle these types of bullets? Newer doubles appear to use thicker steel in the barrels…and no doubt metals have come a long way in the last 100 years. Do you think any of this makes a difference?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Roscoe]
      #113898 - 08/09/08 01:39 AM

Quote:

Mark,
Do you believe the new manufactured doubles can handle these types of bullets? Newer doubles appear to use thicker steel in the barrels…and no doubt metals have come a long way in the last 100 years. Do you think any of this makes a difference?

Will await Marks response as he has forgotten more than I will ever know..

But from what I have read and discussed,,,there is no way I would purchase a new double and risk possible barrel damage and/or separation..from what I have been told --this is NOT advisable...use woodleighs or similar type bullets....

Was looking at doubles at the SCI show last Jan in Reno--was told the same by 2 different reps...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
      #113913 - 08/09/08 05:40 AM

I tend to agree...but would like to hear Marks ideas. He and I had a nice chat in TX about the new solids but I don't recall asking him this question. On an interesting note, he also had some good insight on one particular brand of soft...I believe TBBC. I will let him fill all the details.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #113972 - 08/09/08 10:02 PM

TBBC's. I love them! But not in a double for the same reason no Barnes. The TBBC's have a solid shank, no lead to compress. And Woodleigh softs work great so again, why risk it?

BTW, I am a true believer in real dirving band mono's, but that is a different topic.

JPK

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: JPK]
      #113982 - 09/09/08 12:57 AM

I tend to agree with the conclusion that why argue with Woodleigh bullets, but I do have a couple of questions:

What about Barnes TSX bullets vs. their solids? Is the TSX non-solid a softer compound? Does it have the same "hardness" as their solids? Is Barnes' TSX non-solid as risky as their solid given this line of argument?

I have tried these TSX in my modern .470 Merkel and like them, but again, I will prefer Woodleigh, but I notice that the lands do not cut through the entire driving band (it gets real close tho) - so is mono-metal compressibility a factor in the TSX?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#113984 - 09/09/08 01:51 AM

Roscoe:

I think yes and no. I'm not at all convinced that "modern" steel has ameliorated this problem. Min wall thickness seems to remain the critical issue. New doubles built with traditional barrel profiles have been damaged by monos. Doubles with thicker barrels will obviously be more resistant to such damage, perhaps even entirely resistant to it if thick enough, but there are no freebies. The concomitant penalty such rifles suffer in weight distribution/handling dynamics eliminates them from consideration for my own personal use. I handled a new German built .450/.400 in Reno that looked like you could shoot solid steel through it with no damage, but what a railroad tie it was! That said, as you're aware, I've been accused of being rather picky about such things though.

TBBC has a homogenous shank, and thus presents the same potential issues as any other mono.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 41640

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com