Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser "Simba"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Blaser "Simba"
      #113198 - 01/09/08 01:30 PM

Blaser "Simba" bolt action double rifle. Definetely not for the purist! Recorded here as an "archive".

Description from Gunbroker:

" SIMBA " THIS IS A CUSTOM R93 SUPER LUXUS IN THE DUO MODEL. THIS IS THE FIRST ONE INTO THE UNITED STATES AND THE ONLY ONE IN THE U.S. THESE ARE BY SPECIAL ORDER ONLY, AND VIRTUALLY HAND MADE ONE AT A TIME. THE DUO EXPANDS ON THE R93 BY HAVING A DOUBLE BARRELED RIFLE WITH TWO BOLT HEADS AND TWO MAGAZINES. OTHERWISE IT WORKS JUST LIKE A REGULAR R93. THE SET STARTS OUT WITH A 375 H&H SET OF BARRELS. (REMEMBER THIS IS A DOUBLE SO YOU WILL HAVE 6 SHOTS.)IT IS ENGRAVED WITH A LION AND A LIONESS STANDING ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND TWO MALES RECLINING IN THE SHADE. ALL OF THIS IS SURROUNDED WITH DELICATE ARABESQUE SCROLL ENGRAVING ON THE ENTIRE RECIEVER WITH AFRICAN PLANT LIFE AS AN ACCENT. THE BOLT KNOB IS AN UNBELIVEABLE HAND ENGRAVED HEAD OF A LION. THE STOCK IS A VERY SUPERIOR PIECE OF WALNUT ROOT WOOD WITH FINE CHECKERING AND ARABESQUE HAND CUT ACCENT.THE GRIP CAP IS HAND ENGRAVED WITH THE HEAD OF A LION. THERE IS AN EXTRA SET OF MATCHING BARRRELS IN 300 WIN MAG. ( 6 SHOTS ). WITH A MATCHING FOREND FOR THIS SET. TWO SCOPE MOUNTS, ZEISS RAIL MOUNTS. BOTH SETS ARE QD, AND BOTH BARRELS HAVE IRON SIGHTS. GOLD DOUBLE TRIGGERS, GOLD DOUBLE BOLT HEADS.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

More Blaser ... [Re: NitroX]
      #113200 - 01/09/08 01:38 PM

More Blaser ...

... and

R 93 Duo „Mod. Hamed“
H.H. Sheikh Hamed Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Minister for Economic Affairs of the Emirate Abu-Dhabi, passionate hunter and owner of a series of miscellaneous R 93 models, gave the impulse for a new and very special Blaser rifle type. As in certain situations during the hunt, a rifle with two barrels can be advantageous, H.H. Sheikh Hamed Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan had the vision of this very precious rifle and wishing that dream could come true, he contacted Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH in Germany.
In cooperation with the excellent technical expertise of the Blaser team, he finally succeeded in designing a classical bolt action rifle with the speed of a side-by-side rifle. The R 93 Duo “Model Hamed” is equipped with two side-by-side barrels and receivers, thus offering all well-known advantages of the R 93. With each bolt action, 2 cartridges are places into the barrels simultaneously, so that it is possible to use the R 93 Duo like a classic side-by-side double rifle. The magazine contains six cartridges and two additional cartridges are loaded in the barrels.

H.H. Sheikh Hamed Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan had his own R 93 Duo “Model Hamed” designed in a very special way: English Rose and Scroll engraving with gold inlays on the receiver, bolt head, open sight and saddle mount. Gold-plated triggers, a precious Turkish walnut stock with lavish flower carvings and scale ornaments.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: NitroX]
      #113201 - 01/09/08 01:55 PM

Interesting concept. Is there any easy way to replace a single cartridge if you just fire one barrel and wish to reload it?

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: Paul]
      #113242 - 01/09/08 06:39 PM

Lots of schnitzengruben I see. (refer "Blazing Saddles")

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: NitroX]
      #113533 - 04/09/08 11:49 AM

Looks okay except for the bolt knob, to me it's tacky; otherwise it's a nice looking rifle. I wonder why they went with two independent safeties? I used to own a Blaser and didn't mind the safety system but I don't think having to deal with two of them in a hurry.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #113615 - 05/09/08 02:29 AM

Less work I guess - ditto for the in-line double triggers (although I'm glad to see there are 2 )

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #113616 - 05/09/08 02:36 AM

What a waste of gunsmith man hours, best, Mike

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #113631 - 05/09/08 04:42 AM

What a waste of beautiful wood !

Kalunga

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: Kalunga]
      #113668 - 05/09/08 12:31 PM

Some may not like it but if I had to follow up a wounded Lion, this rifle in 416rem would be a good choice.

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: ozhunter]
      #190955 - 29/09/11 07:00 AM

I've never seen a company so adept at putting lipstick on a pig like Blaser!

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Blaser "Simba" [Re: HogPilot]
      #190957 - 29/09/11 07:25 AM

Quote:

I've never seen a company so adept at putting lipstick on a pig like Blaser!

Thanks, you owe me a new keyboard, coffee just went everywhere !!!

That has to be one of the best sayings I have read for ages.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #190959 - 29/09/11 08:38 AM

Quote:

Interesting concept. Is there any easy way to replace a single cartridge if you just fire one barrel and wish to reload it?

No! Extraction/ejection is non-selective in these contraptions. That is, if you fire the right barrel only and work the action, the still-loaded cartridge will be thrown out as well as the empty case. Probably this waste of ammo is of no consequence to a man who can afford such a gun. As a friend put it when we saw the first Blaser "Hamed": "This is the outcome when someone has more money than brains!"

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: kuduae]
      #191210 - 03/10/11 05:53 PM

What a waste of engraving...

I really like the R93, and that's more or less what I was thinking about as a bolt head, but that double rifle strikes me as an extremely silly idea. If extraction/ejection was selective, and it had one (not two) combi-cockers...well it's out of my price range anyway. Having worked in the part of the world where this idea came from, I can tell you there's plenty of people with more money than brains or style.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: smicha6551]
      #191218 - 03/10/11 09:34 PM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (03/10/11 09:38 PM)

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: lancaster]
      #191232 - 04/10/11 05:14 AM

Might work for some. Everything can go but that lion head on the bolt handle.......it's bloody horrible. Lancaster, you got it right. I agree.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: SAHUNT]
      #191237 - 04/10/11 06:39 AM

Double handspannung/cocker sucks really hard and like many others dont like the bolt knob even though it does not make it more difficult to use.
It may have some advantages but not many over others.
If it is 12gauge/8x57 s/s and has 22lr in between with selective ejector it would be nice gun for highseat

paradox
.224 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: The Netherlands
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: Paatti]
      #191249 - 04/10/11 11:32 AM

I think these are very bad taste. Mix between black forest art and a Hamed sandwitch.
The R93 is quite all right; over where I live at least 50% of the hunters own one.
Still I think you can get better value for money than a Blaser. Their marketing is better than their products.
For the same price, you buy a Sauer takedown and that is a much better constructed rifle without plastic. If you feel the need to repeat fast, get some practice, or buy an auto loader.

Best wishes,

Hubert

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: More Blaser ... [Re: paradox]
      #191277 - 04/10/11 08:56 PM

I don't mind the lion bolt head, though it is a little crass. But it suits the whole rifle concept.

I think the ejection of both chambers at once, even if one is still a loaded round is not a big issue. Like any bolt action I imagine it is not too hard to catch the case/cartridge when working the bolt. And if it is a emergency reload, in a hurry, the last thing I would worry about is a single .416 cartridge.

The most annoying thing, having not actually handled one of these, would be two safeties to disengage. To me that is by far the worst operational aspect. How easy it is to carry a normal double rifle loaded with the safety on, and slip the shotgun style safety off when about to take a shot or things heat up. However if the safeties on the Blaser are both off, both barrels are fired, reloading from the magazines must be much faster.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: NitroX]
      #191358 - 05/10/11 07:51 PM

Assuming it works like other R93's, you can't cycle the action without pushing up the safety a little - though not as far as you'd have to actually fire the gun. It would be a little clumsy to try and slightly push both forward a little at the same time, and I'm thinking that if one was on and the other off, you wouldn't be able to cycle the bolt, which could cause confusion when something dangerous is coming after you.

And mind you, I don't like this lion bolt knob, just the idea of the bolt knob as a great cat's head. I guess the grip cap is OK, so that's something.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: smicha6551]
      #191373 - 06/10/11 04:38 AM

IMHO the two cocking slides of the Blaser dr may be there for the same reason that led to the demise of Dreyse's and Berger's double needlefire actions 130 years ago: both guns used coil spring powered, inline strikers/needles like the Blaser. Both designs were cocked by pushing forward the locks with the thumb, cocking the springs. The Berger had seperate locks like the Blaser, requiring two pushes to cock both locks. In the Dreyse both locks were connected, so both were cocked by one movement. The Dreyse never made the conversion from needle- to centerfire with metal-cupped primers, while the Berger did for some time. Reason: The striker spring power had to be increased to dent centerfire primers. Berger's single locks could still be cocked,barely, by thumb pressure, while it was impossible to cock two marginally powerfull springs at the same time with a single push of the thumb. This may be the reason why Blaser uses two cocking slides to cock two springs.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: kuduae]
      #191374 - 06/10/11 04:57 AM

Pretty much sums it up for me too. What a waste of beautiful wood.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #192520 - 26/10/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

The concept is an answer to a question not asked! At least even with "TWO" safeties I assume the rifle Doesn't re-set the safety every time the bolt is worked like the Blaser S-2 automaticlly de-cocks the weapon if opened for any reason! I will admit this rifle would be quick to get off 8 shots, and that it can stand some very high pressures, but TWO SAFETIES????????

The pistol grip is too tight for a heavy recoiling S/S rifle making a middle finger breaker, and the only thing I can think of worse than a push feed dangerous game bolt rifle is a push feed dangerous game bolt rifle with two barrels! The action could have been built with a common safety for both barrels, and the action could have been made CRF quite easily, but wasn't! DUMB!

The scroll engraving is first class, but wasted effort on this contraption. also the wood is very nice but would have been better used on a fine Mauser actioned rifle or a treditional double rifle!

A lot of skilled machine work, but little thought to rifle design for the purpose of defending a shooters life other that a proliferation of ammo!

.......................All in All this is only one mans opinion, and worth exactly what the rank and fine here paid for it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #197759 - 25/12/11 01:35 AM

"Elegant" and "graceful" are not the first words that spring to mind...

--------------------
Philip

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: More Blaser ... [Re: Kano]
      #197790 - 25/12/11 01:18 PM

Quote:

"Elegant" and "graceful" are not the first words that spring to mind...

"Piece" and "Shit" are more like it!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: More Blaser ... [Re: HogPilot]
      #198078 - 30/12/11 01:03 AM

People have commented on the twin safeties. However if they remain off when the bolt is worked, having twin safeties which are actually de-cockers are no different from having a double rifle with external hammers. Except this one also has a magazine and a bolt(s).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23927

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com