Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pedersoli 9.3X74R Double Rifles . . . Opinions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
**DONOTDELETE**

Pedersoli 9.3X74R Double Rifles . . . Opinions
      #10826 - 04/03/04 04:32 AM

Any opinions on the Pedersoli Kodiak MkIV double rifle chambered in 9.3X74R? Looks like a nicely constructed double rifle for the price. I understand their barrels are shoe lumps, is this correct? Any issues with shoe lump barrels?

Thanks,
Scott

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Pedersoli 9.3X74R Double Rifles . . . Opinions [Re: ScottS]
      #10834 - 04/03/04 06:09 AM

In reply to:

Any opinions on the Pedersoli Kodiak MkIV double rifle chambered in 9.3X74R? Looks like a nicely constructed double rifle for the price. I understand their barrels are shoe lumps, is this correct? Any issues with shoe lump barrels?

Thanks,
Scott

I have owned four Pedersoli double rifles, but all started life as 45-70! They are strong, and well made, for the price! The are shoe lump barrels, but are dovetailed in from the front of the breech! this the strongest way to build a shoelump barrel set!

My first one was ordered long before they were available to the public, and were still in prototype at Pedersoli! These rifles were commisioned by TRAIL GUNS ARMORY,in League City, Tx, back in the early 80s. The Kodiak is a replica of the 1867 Colt double rifle, one of the rarest double rifles ever made!

My first one is number 134 and stamped TRAIL GUNS ARMORY in top rib. I have another one chambered for 458 RCBS, which is a Fred Huntington wildcat, that is basicly a very long 45-70, with a 2 3/4" case. I had another one also chambered for 458 RCBS that I took to Africa, and punched right through a cape Buffalo with a 400 gr solid.

These rifles have been re-chambered to 450NE 3 1/4", 450#2 NE, with little, or no problem. As I said, I don't have any experience with a Pedersoli chambered for 9.3X74R, but I see no reason they wouldn't be fine! The new ones made today, are better ballanced than the old ones, and finish is much better, as well. I have a 9.3X74R double rifle,though it isn't a Pedersoli, and I love the chambering. It is legal for most of the big game in Africa, though a little light for stopping, but is a nice round for the cats in particular, and will handle anything in North America, with ease! Ray Atkinson, says he can't tell the difference, in effect, on buffalo between the 9.3X74R, and the 375 H&H mag. Let me say, the cartridge wouldn't be my first reccomendation to just anyone on cape buffalo, but I would have no qualms about useing it on Buffalo, myself!

These little rifles have sidelock hammers, that are of the rebounding type, and all mine have had very nice triggers, and the wood was top notch for such a reasonably priced double! I believe the Pedersoli double rifles are a good entry level double rifle that offers a lot more than the price would indicate!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: Pedersoli 9.3X74R Double Rifles . . . Opinions [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10837 - 04/03/04 06:37 AM

What I like about theese is the classic look of the hammers and case coloring. They also can be ordered with a extra forearm and a set of 20 guage barrels.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

sharps54
.224 member

Reged: 15/05/03
      #10873 - 04/03/04 04:38 PM

DUGABOY1,
My Kodiak is a Trail Guns Armory as well. I have thought about rechambering but think that I will leave it in .45-70. It is plenty for anything in the woods around here.
ScottS, check out Gunlist and with the big dealers, you can usually find used 9.3 doubles for not much more then a new Kodiak, maybe a few months more savings.
Jason

**DONOTDELETE**

#10897 - 05/03/04 04:11 AM

Thanks to all for the comments.

Scott

Hawaiian_Hunter
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/04
Loc: MAUI NO KA OI
      #11061 - 06/03/04 07:49 PM

Aloha Dugaboy1, I'm very interested in your experiance with the 458 RCBS. If you don't mind me asking what powder, primer, bullet, brass, were you using for your optimum load. What kind of velocity do you estimate you were getting with 400 grain bullets? I see the 458 RCBS brass is 2.75 inches long a stretched 45/70 as you describe it. The 45-110 Sharps/Winchester is also basically a 45/70 case stretched to 2.8 inches. Using modern brass, in your opinion is there any reason why the 45/110 could not be loaded to match the 458 RCBS from identical rifles of equal strength? I was brainstorming doing the same thing you have done to your Kodiak double except chambering to 45/110, and using the more readily available 45/110 brass. What do you think? Thank you for your input.

--------------------
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Pedersoli 9.3X74R Double Rifles . . . Opinions [Re: Hawaiian_Hunter]
      #11218 - 09/03/04 05:06 AM

In reply to:

Aloha Dugaboy1, I'm very interested in your experiance with the 458 RCBS.

Aloha, Sorry I was so long answering your post, but I've been on a hunt, and just got back!

In reply to:

If you don't mind me asking what powder, primer, bullet, brass, were you using for your optimum load. What kind of velocity do you estimate you were getting with 400 grain bullets?

The only powder I use in the 458 RCBS is IMR 4064, and the load I use with the 400 gr load is the same charge Huntington used with a 500 gr bullet in a Remington rolling block, It is 65.0 grs IMR 4064, with a CCI large rifle primer, in Barss made from HDS 45 basic brass. It is almost the same case as the 45-110 but with higher pressure loads with modern powder. The speed with a 400 gr in front of this load is in the 2000, to 2100 fps range. It regulated exactly the same as the origenal 45-70 without re-adjusting the sights!

In reply to:

The 45-110 Sharps/Winchester is also basically a 45/70 case stretched to 2.8 inches. Using modern brass, in your opinion is there any reason why the 45/110 could not be loaded to match the 458 RCBS from identical rifles of equal strength? I was brainstorming doing the same thing you have done to your Kodiak double except chambering to 45/110, and using the more readily available 45/110 brass. What do you think? Thank you for your input.

Personally, If I were doing it today, the 45-110, or even the 45-120, is the way I would go, rather than the 458 RCBS, because of the availability of brass, dies, and chamberieg reamers. The 458 RCBS loads could be used without a problem, and maybe even improved with a little experementing, in the pedersoli, IMO!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Hawaiian_Hunter
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/04
Loc: MAUI NO KA OI
      #11239 - 09/03/04 11:14 AM

Dugaboy1 - Thanks for the reply, I hope your hunt was successful. Thank you for the 458 RCBS load specs. In your opinion do you think that using 45/120 brass in a strong modern action such as the Kodiak that a 500 grain bullet can be driven to 1900 FPS, or a 400 to 2150 FPS? I'm trying to see if I can get 4000 FPE from this classic round with modern powder. Thanks again.

--------------------
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com