Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS
      #112026 - 17/08/08 11:40 PM

When Remington introduced the SxS Spartan DR at the Shot Show (2004 or 2005), everyone was really excited and couldn't wait to be able to own one. Years went by and the excitement turned to anger because some of our Aussie friends were able to purchase them but they were still not available here in the US. Everyone still wanted to be able to own a DR without taking a second mortgage on his home. $600.00 seemed like a great deal, even for an ugly Russian rifle. It has been 4 years since the rumors of this gun were started. Price of gas skyrocketed as the dollar plummeted. It's 2008 and the gun finally is a reality, but now it is too ugly or too expensive for a club. Well for some of us that may never be able to afford a fancy European or English gun these cheap shooter grades were just the ticket. It looks and fits quite well in the gunsafe next to my Stevens and Fox double guns that also are scorned by the connoisseurs of the gun world. Heck these guns served America well for almost a century and may do so for another.
I have only got about 50 rounds through my Spartan. It shoots well and hasn't blown up yet. I have yet to go hunting with it, but when I do take it here in my neck of the woods in Florida, I won't have to wear a brown bag over my head in shame.
Now I have to scrounge up some cash so I can get the 45-70 version before they are all gone!

--------------------
Life is for Service

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: tarawa]
      #112027 - 17/08/08 11:49 PM

Surely you don't mean the A.H.Fox?

--------------------
One day at a time...

tarawa
.333 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: bigmaxx]
      #112029 - 17/08/08 11:52 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I better clarify myself and should have said Savage Fox! Never owned an AH Fox.

--------------------
Life is for Service

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #112036 - 18/08/08 01:17 AM

Tarawa:

My frustration is that EAA didn't keep the whole pile and simply improve them a bit, meaning only that they needed a bit better QC in the regulation department.

Also, remember when EAA listed 7.62x54R {the best and most practical caliber for North American hunting with a double or combo in my opinion} among many others that never saw the light of day?

I'd like to see a double in 9.3x74R and a combo in the same caliber with either 12 or 20 bore tube above would tempt me beyond resistance I do believe.

No need to hang you head. Just post pix of a full game pole and that'll shut up the nay sayers!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: 9.3x57]
      #112068 - 18/08/08 11:45 AM

If they do the job they are meant, then why not?

Certainly a lot of interest in the Baikals/Spartans and at the price the Baikals sell for they represent a knock about rifle at a reasonable price. As long as they do what they are meant to.

There have been comments the Spartan .45/70's had some problems???

I remember seeing a lot of rimmed chamberings for the Baikals that disappeared when Remington started to talk about the Spartan (?).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: NitroX]
      #112069 - 18/08/08 11:54 AM

Quote:

I remember seeing a lot of rimmed chamberings for the Baikals that disappeared when Remington started to talk about the Spartan (?).

This is what I was referring to above.

I called EAA some years ago when the listing came out. I wanted a 9.3x74R and 7.62x54R and was told that they did not and had not made them in spite of what the website, etc, said.

Apparently the Rusky's were trying the old Navy Arms shtick, listing unmade guns in order to dig up orders and then identify the market.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #112070 - 18/08/08 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I better clarify myself and should have said Savage Fox! Never owned an AH Fox.

I have a Fox Sterlingworth that was cut to 23" sometime through the years, probably to hunt quail. I have heard its not strong enough to convert to a .45-70 double rifle. Boy I wish it could. Its a neat old gun. I think I might try to have it converted to a 20 bore rifle. I had a higher grade 20 A.H.Fox a few years ago and traded it off. Need a swift kick in the pants for that trade.

--------------------
One day at a time...

tarawa
.333 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: bigmaxx]
      #112088 - 18/08/08 09:53 PM

My late father in law loved those old doubles. He invested a lot in the old guns, so when he passed away they were all sold to support my mother in law. My mother inlaw found out after the gun auction that her husband invested wisely!

--------------------
Life is for Service

Bwana_Be_Mike
.224 member

Reged: 28/03/08
Loc: PA _U.S.A.
      #112150 - 20/08/08 04:04 PM

Quote:

When Remington introduced the SxS Spartan DR at the Shot Show (2004 or 2005), everyone was really excited and couldn't wait to be able to own one. Years went by and the excitement turned to anger because some of our Aussie friends were able to purchase them but they were still not available here in the US. Everyone still wanted to be able to own a DR without taking a second mortgage on his home. $600.00 seemed like a great deal, even for an ugly Russian rifle. It has been 4 years since the rumors of this gun were started. Price of gas skyrocketed as the dollar plummeted. It's 2008 and the gun finally is a reality, but now it is too ugly or too expensive for a club. Well for some of us that may never be able to afford a fancy European or English gun these cheap shooter grades were just the ticket. It looks and fits quite well in the gun safe next to my Stevens and Fox double guns that also are scorned by the connoisseurs of the gun world. Heck these guns served America well for almost a century and may do so for another.
I have only got about 50 rounds through my Spartan. It shoots well and hasn't blown up yet. I have yet to go hunting with it, but when I do take it here in my neck of the woods in Florida, I won't have to wear a brown bag over my head in shame.
Now I have to scrounge up some cash so I can get the 45-70 version before they are all gone!

I think George's quote above '' Hit the Nail on The Head '' ... Sometimes Affluence Brings out Poor Form in people despite ones supposed social class, & education. Isn't this forum about the love of firearms in general & not their dollar value ?

It shouldn't matter if we get from Point A to Point B in Life in either a VW Beetle or a Rolls Royce it should merely matter that we arrive safely & comfortably in what we personally deem necessary to spend.

AMEN !

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: Bwana_Be_Mike]
      #112152 - 20/08/08 04:37 PM

Yeap, and one could also survive on vegetables alone and live in a small sellar. Its not the money that is the problem most time, it the quality and soul one feels when using a specific item. But you are right it should be only a matter of getting from point a to b, with that said a bolt rifle in most cases are way supirior of a double and a good one is even cheaper than a baikal DR. And not to mention the cheap semiauto rifles.

Joke aside, i would own one but here we are limited to six long guns only. That makes me quite picky witch one i want in the safe. But as a fun gun and a throw in the car gun it would be great.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: 450_366]
      #112163 - 20/08/08 11:58 PM

I agree with tarawa - but for the trigger - i like my 30-06 Baikel sxs more and more. I tried to have the trigger done to lower the pull weight a bit but the smith couldn't get to them as the main action screw is either really tight or a reverse thread. we stopped trying for now.

I load 52.5 gr Win 760 with mag primer and 180 gr round nose Hornady to get close to 2600 ft/s and about 3/4 inch groups from a rest at 50 yds. it is light and fun to shoot. I tried it with a Dr. Optic speed dot and it was good for snap shots but I think i prefer a low power scope until i get used to it. I may just have to find a 45-70 up here - if they do come here.

I think the more doubles sold to anyone, the more of a market will be developed and maybe "mainline" companies will start to consider the whole double rifle market as being worthwhile to pursue.

My friends laugh until they pick up and use a double - any double. Then they see how compact and useable they can be. Then I have a hard time getting them back. When Im in the thick bush with the snow falling hard or it raining and trying to find that sneaky moose, elk, deer..... -- a double is just perfect and when it can be one that im not worried aboutscratching or getting wet, well i feel better about the whole thing. In Africa, my rifles can be controled a lot better I find that they dont take near the beating that my rifles in Canada do while hunting.. hmmm never thought of that before, I guess the rifles in Africa are in hot, dry climates, in a Landcruiser or walking in generally bushy but dry (so far) country.

If I could only have six long guns -- well it might happen up here you never know - I think I would go nuts.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#112164 - 21/08/08 12:38 AM

Quote:

I think George's quote above '' Hit the Nail on The Head '' ... Sometimes Affluence Brings out Poor Form in people despite ones supposed social class, & education. Isn't this forum about the love of firearms in general & not their dollar value ?

It shouldn't matter if we get from Point A to Point B in Life in either a VW Beetle or a Rolls Royce it should merely matter that we arrive safely & comfortably in what we personally deem necessary to spend.

AMEN !

So what is your point? Are you claiming NE has poor form?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: farshot]
      #112168 - 21/08/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

I think the more doubles sold to anyone, the more of a market will be developed and maybe "mainline" companies will start to consider the whole double rifle market as being worthwhile to pursue.

I actully think there may be a bunch of truth to this.

From a modern perspective, doubles have a lot going for them:

1} "Legislation-Proof"; or at least, less attackable as a "milspec" gun with anti-human tendencies...

2} Few people have them, so there is a large open market. Remember, most guns are sold to fellows who already have many guns. At some point you'd think guys would get bored buying "another bolt gun". I know I have...

3} There is precedent; Ruger's No 1. "Everybody" said it couldn't be done, but there was Bill, ignoring them all, making a modern pseudo-Farquaharson that has now become something of a classic in its own right.

4} At no point has a truly high-quality MASS-PRODUCED double ever been made. Somebody CAN engineer a regulation system that would be useable by the average Joe, and THAT in my opinion is the biggest obstacle to be leaped.

5} Easier to travel with due to the breakdown feature. A small point, but one none-the-less.

I'm guessing that in 25 years, there WILL be a good-quality,mass-made, affordable double available to hunters, assuming there is anything left to hunt. And will that double look like a fine British double? Ys'know, I think it might not. It might, however, in some way reflect the technology used to make it, just like the British double itself does.

As Daniel Patrick Moynahan said, there is a 200-year supply of guns in the USA. But how many of them are doubles?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#112174 - 21/08/08 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I actully think there may be a bunch of truth to this.

There is potentially huge interest in double rifles of usable quality at an affordable price.

The key to success or not, will be how much of standards will have to be traded for reducing the price.

If they look awful or worse simply don't shoot well enough they will flounder not doubt.

If in useful medium cartridges - great.

If in big bores, the issue will be over loading pressure for the un-initiated. Witness all the guys wanting to immediately rechamber .45/70's to .450 NE.

If a .450/400 was available in a 'cheap' double that would be a huge success.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (21/08/08 01:46 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #112180 - 21/08/08 02:49 AM

Quote:

By BBMike

AMEN!

B_B_ mike, It doesn't matter to me how we get where we are going, as long as the vehicle is reliable! I simply don't like sitting on tne side of the road with a broke down car! for that matter I' much rather have the VW, than a Rolls if I had to put up with it's maintenance!

On the Rem/Biakal double rifle, my opinion is the rifle is, what it is, a $600 double rifle! I see no reason to denigrate it for being what it is. Clearly it is not going to be the equal to anything made in the treditional way of makeing a double rifle, that is a given, I think.

You assumption that if a person sees this rifle as a sub-bargain basement piece, automaticlly makes him/her a bore, is, in it's self a little elitest judgement on your part, and maybe the part of the origenal poster you quoted.

The Biakal/Rem double rifle, as I said, is what it is, and I see not fault in saying it is just that. It is, I think a fine start, that has a few problems in some cases, because of the inconsistant manufactureing process. Once the final rifle is done after fixing some of the problems that pop up from time to time on some of them, and they become a little more consistantly workable, they will get more respect. Because the problems that do pop up from time to time, being tied to shody workmanship, remedying them will cause the price to rise. With a base price now of the stated $600 USD, (is actually $900 here in the USA). The price could rise substantually, and still be cheap. I say the little rifle chambered for 45-70 is a good start for a nice little 30-30 canoe rifle with little 20" barrels. I would buy one of the 45-70s strictly for that purpose, re-barrel it with a pair of 1 in 10" twist .308 barrels, and chamber it to either 30-30, or 30-40 krieg, regulate it properly and put some real sights on it, and a low powered scope in QD rings and bases, and place it in the rack in my canoe. If I capsize, and loose it, well, it's better than looseing a $15K double, and as long as it is a reliable little rifle I could care less what it looks like, or who disagrees with my haveing it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #112184 - 21/08/08 05:00 AM

A double SXS with 22" tubes in .45/70 would make a terrific guide gun or general gun (for me) for hunting here in BC.
; I don't know what peressures the .45/70 version will take, but even if held to 35,000PSI, that will put a 350gr. out at 2,100fps or 400's at 1,900fps. WONDERFULL!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: NitroX]
      #112187 - 21/08/08 06:34 AM

Quote:

If in big bores, the issue will be over loading pressure for the un-initiated. Witness all the guys wanting to immediately rechamber .45/70's to .450 NE.

I agree with all your points, especially this last.

As a useful cartridge, the .45-70 is.

I am a real fan of the .45-70, but...

I believe it is a really stupid cartridge to chamber a double in unless the rifle is proofed for very heavy loads, because that is probably what lots are going to see anyhow whether proofed for such or not, just as you say, John. I bet the lion's share of buyers of .45-70 doubles wish they were .450's and plan in some fashion to make them such, or as close as they can till the barrels wobble.

I personally would not buy a SECOND-hand Baikal .45-70 unless I knew for certain sure that the gun had only been shot with pussywillow loads only.

Just my $.02.

--------------------

REN3
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/08
Loc: Colorado, USA
      #112192 - 21/08/08 09:20 AM

It seems as if some people think that a 45-70 is just a bad word! I bought a 45-70 because I wanted one, not to convert it to something that it is not. A 350 grain bullet at 1,900 fps serves my purposes well. I could have bought another caliber, but the 45-70 was my choice for my purposes. Not everyone is in this to try something stupid that a particular gun is not designed to handle. That being said, I do not think that I would ever consider the Baikal just from a quality standpoint. It does not seem likely that it will progress to the category of good value, but then I am willing to be surprised.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #112193 - 21/08/08 09:29 AM

the max pressure is right on the barrel what is 2200BAR OR 31900HST what does that translate to.i still have not fired the 3006 but there is no pressure warning on it. i will get a 45 70 just to make a set.for the money its a good gun that i wont go broke shooting,i have a 470,9.3x74R,a 450 400 but they get pricey to shoot even with reloads.

Edited by bwananelson (21/08/08 10:49 AM)

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: bwananelson]
      #112201 - 21/08/08 11:29 AM

FWIW, if they released a 50-110 or a 450-400, you wouldn't have many people running chambering reamers into 45-70s.

On the quality issue, I believe that many potential double buyers would buy a hint of rarity and glamour. I would prefer an economy modern double at the base Ruger level of quality and finish for $1800 than a $900 rifle that feels like an SKS. Nevertheless, there were many Lada Niva owners and Toz .22 shooters who got acceptable gear for modest cost.

450_366
.400 member

#112219 - 21/08/08 10:06 PM

Strange, everyone seems voried about all the people that are going to rechamber the 45-70.
But my concern would be the guys that are going to maxload the 30-06 untill the primer flattens as they been doing for their bolt rifles.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: DarylS]
      #112283 - 22/08/08 10:41 PM

Quote:

I don't know what peressures the .45/70 version will take, but even if held to 35,000PSI, that will put a 350gr. out at 2,100fps or 400's at 1,900fps. WONDERFULL!

I think that would be a 25% overload in a .45/70 SPR22 - essentially a modern proof load.

Quote:

the max pressure is right on the barrel what is 2200BAR OR 31900HST what does that translate to.

Remington says that it translates to SAAMI's standard max operating pressure for the .45/70 of 28,000 PSI, and they're probably technically correct. Their web site says of the .45/70 SPR22 "For use with SAAMI compliant loads only (28,000PSI operating pressure)". Yeah, no Garrett, Buffalo Bore, etc....I have no idea what HST means. The markings on the barrel indicate that the gun is proved to the current CIP standard pressure for the .45/70, which is 2,200BAR/31,900PSI (14.50375 PSI = 1 BAR).

Before someone makes the jump, the difference probably isn't lawyer padding, nor does it mean that this gun is proved to a higher pressure standard than what Remington is stipulating. CIP PSI and SAAMI PSI are not the same unit of pressure, nor are they convertible. Both standards represent chamber pressures measured by piezo electric transducer, but the equipment and methodologies - and the resulting measurements - are not the same. CIP uses a drilled case, SAAMI doesn't, and transducer placement protocol also differs. That's why CIP MAP is often (but not always) higher than SAAMI's for a given rifle cartridge. In other words, the two standards are almost certainly much closer together than the values suggest - and standard SAAMI is essentially what the rifle is proved for. You can bet that Remington understands this perfectly, hence the warning on their web site.

Quote:

If in big bores, the issue will be over loading pressure for the un-initiated. Witness all the guys wanting to immediately rechamber .45/70's to .450 NE

Yep. I think Big Green is gonna get bit here.

Quote:

I bet the lion's share of buyers of .45-70 doubles wish they were .450's and plan in some fashion to make them such, or as close as they can till the barrels wobble.

I personally would not buy a SECOND-hand Baikal .45-70 unless I knew for certain sure that the gun had only been shot with pussywillow loads only.

Ya tink?

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #112430 - 25/08/08 12:08 AM

G'day fellas, just a couple of comments on the Baikal DR's.
I own both a O & U 9.3 x74 and a S X S 30/06 and believe them to be very good value as working rifles.
Several months ago I submitted a report of my experience with the 9.3 x 74. For those of you that didn't see the article it took about 12 rounds to regulate the barrels, 6 or 8 more to sight in the leupold scope a short walk in the bush (a bit of luck here) and a one shot kill on a Sambar hind at about 120 mtrs. I recently purchased the 30/06 and haven't done much with it yet, but while sighting in it is grouping L&R at about 2" at 50mtrs out of the box! I am currently waiting for the 45/70 to arrive and will be loading up to the upper limit loads for the Trapdoor Springfield, using the ADI loading data, which will give me a 300gr projectile at 2200 fps. I currently intend purchasing a classic 500BPE but there is no way I would risk damage to that rifle by taking it into some of the country I hunt. The only problem I have with these rifles as mentioned previously, are the triggers, they definately are bad. I hope I can find a good gunsmith to improve them for me ( maybe Kudu services) I will probably have a go at improving the wood to metal fit myself and get into the wood work with some good quality oil. A previous writer mentioned problems that surfaced from time to time, I would be interested to find out what they are so I can be watchfull for them

All the best and good shooting, Ian.

450_366
.400 member

Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: watto]
      #112530 - 26/08/08 01:00 AM

Im glad that you are happy with your guns, i looked at one today and noticed the long pull at the rear trigger. Is this on your s/s to?

--------------------
Andreas

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Denigrating the Remington / Baikal SxS [Re: 450_366]
      #112954 - 29/08/08 10:47 PM

G'day there Andreas. The answer to your question is yes. The pull on both triggers is bad and worse in that they are nothing like each other. But I have not heard of one doing what that Chapius discussed hereabouts did.

Al the best, Ian.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11236

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com