Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles?
      #111429 - 10/08/08 03:48 AM

I've been looking at a few Leupold scopes for my .375 H&H- primarily the low-power VX-II and VX-III's- but last night noticed they still make a fixed 2.5x scope.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...0mm-ultralight/

It seems like it might be a better choice for this rifle...anyone have experience with it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: taw1126]
      #111430 - 10/08/08 04:29 AM

I have two Leupold VXIII 1.5-5X20 heavy duplex scopes on the M77 .458 lott and Hawkeye African .375 ruger. They have performed very well and will be going with me to Zimbabwe the end of this month. I have mine in Warne Quick Detach mounts. I really like the VXIII glass. I would spring for the extra hundred or so dollars and get the VXIII and you will have the versatility of the variable too.

--------------------
One day at a time...

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #111468 - 10/08/08 04:16 PM

Quote:

I really like the VXIII glass. I would spring for the extra hundred or so dollars and get the VXIII and you will have the versatility of the variable too.

I agree.
I've used the 2.5 Leup a fair bit on one of my doubles, and it is a great little scope.
I do often find that a bit more magnification would be usefull though.
For close shooting the 2.5 is fine, but on a .375 mag I think I'd much prefer a variable which still offers very low power magnification at the bottom end.
1-4, 1.5-5, 1.75-6, 2-7, 2.5-8, with the 1.5-5 being a very good choice IMO.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: 4seventy]
      #111474 - 10/08/08 04:44 PM

I have the 2.5 Leup on my 404, I love it, I shoot out to 150 with it when its on and that is all I will do with the 404.

Great scope on that gun. I agree with 4seventy re a 375 mag. The other question is what are you shooting it at and what kind of terrain do you shoot in? This will help you decide on your requirements.

Shooting at home or are you going to Africa with this gun?

I have a Zeiss 1.5x6 on my 300 and that is a great scope for what I use it for out to 300m on floodplain boars.

Just my two cents.....

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: Cinghiale]
      #111481 - 10/08/08 06:23 PM

I use 4x and 1.5-6 power Schmidt & Bender scopes on the 9.3mm - 375 range of calibers and have the new 1.1-6x24 Swarovski with 100mm eye relief on order for a 404.
I also think a little extra magnification can be handy on occasions.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: ozhunter]
      #111504 - 10/08/08 11:51 PM

taw:

Assuming you aren't going to give the rifle away as a tip to the PH...

Get a good fairly wide-range variable. The .375 is so versatile, it can be used under nearly all conditions, lighting, weather, and on nearly all animals, certainly all North American animals.

I put a Leupold 4x on my .375 back in c.1988 and frankly, wish I'd have put a 3x9 variable on it. I find many times in the field when a bit more power is helpful; final judging of the head and "threading the needle" thru brush being the two main ones.

A 3x9 in strong QD mounts that return the scope to zero is the best setup for a .375 H&H I can imagine.

Just my $.02 {now worth about $.015 due to the weak dollar... }

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #111505 - 11/08/08 12:02 AM

Just one thing to add, I actually have another scope in QD rings that I can swap back and forth on the Hawkeye African .375 ruger. The other scope is a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32 with standard reticle. I am going to use this for plains game and have the option of switching back to the VXIII if I use it for buffalo. If my .458 were to fail I have a backup plan in place. The two scopes in the QD rings really are great.

--------------------
One day at a time...

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #111511 - 11/08/08 01:23 AM

I appreciate the responses guys. Originally I'd planned to only use open sights on this rifle (an antelope hunt next month will be the first time in 8 years that I've hunted with a scoped rifle) but watching this forum convinced me otherwise.

Sounds like the experienced opinion is that 2.5x is up to the task, but the .375 H&H should have more versatile glass on it.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #111574 - 11/08/08 01:22 PM

I've resisted posting on this thread, 'cause like taw1126 I'm not a scope-shooters arsehole in reality having used open sights for all my hunting, but my eyes are slowly losing their edge and the day will no-doubt come soon enough when I need glass. In anticipation I picked up a Leupold 2-7 Ultralight on special, having used a borrowed rifle fitted with one during a culling operation last year. Basically, the scope never moved off 2x unless a very deliberate long shot was required.

The advantage of an Ultralight scope for the rifles and calibres we love so much is less inertia under recoil, so less stress on the mounts, rings, and fixings generally. Also less weight to add to an already heavy rifle.

The other advantage of that scope over the 1-4 is a narrower ocular bell by 4mm, giving better bolt and knuckle clearance when cycling the action under duress!

It also has better light-gathering capability than the 1-4, having a 28mm objective.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: Marrakai]
      #111587 - 11/08/08 10:44 PM

Quote:

The other advantage of that scope over the 1-4 is a narrower ocular bell by 4mm, giving better bolt and knuckle clearance when cycling the action under duress!

It also has better light-gathering capability than the 1-4, having a 28mm objective.

Both important things to look for when setting up a scope.

Being left handed and often shooting righty rifles, I have flattened the bolt handle on some of my rifles to make operation easier/less cramping by the eyepiece. Various setups/mounts work better or worse. I have no need for "DG" purposes, but if somebody did, the whole setup should be well thought thru as what might look or sound good on paper in the gun shop might not work too well in the field.

During deer and winter varmint seasons, hunting here takes place in such dim light there is no way irons can even be used many times. I always have a couple iron-sighted rifles setup, but the conditions are such that they get used for "kicks" and under very wet; sleet/rain/snow conditions when a scope is a pain to keep mopped.

A scope essential in such dim light conditions? Absolutely.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #111590 - 11/08/08 11:30 PM

Quote:

I have no need for "DG" purposes, but if somebody did, the whole setup should be well thought thru as what might look or sound good on paper in the gun shop might not work too well in the field.

Last year I bought my boys a Ruger Frontier in 7mm-08 for "their" deer rifle. I picked that rifle because of its ability to mount an IER scope, and my desire to make sure my kids started shooting scoped rifles with both eyes open (I also ended up having a forward scope base mounted on a Ruger 10/22 for them to plink with). After playing with that rifle, I was impressed enough to buy another one in .358 Winchester for me.

I think scout-type rifles have limited use, but to a guy who's never hunted dangerous game before they seem ideal for that purpose: reflex sighting with full peripheral vision, no scope or mount to interfere with cycling the bolt, and wide-open access to the magazine. I'm curious why more DG rifles aren't set up for forward-mounted acopes?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #111598 - 12/08/08 01:58 AM

I've used both 2X and 2.5X Leupold (and other makes) scopes for many years on hunting rifles from .375 to .458. They work splendidly on hunting rifles and are not a limiter for long range shots on big game from deer on up. I call 300 yards a long shot. I also don't have trouble using rifles with iron sights for the same shots. Most irons as delivered on a rifle are not suitable and need to be changed. Good irons are not a limiter. Even my M94 in .32 SPL will put 5 into 1 1/2" at 100meters off the bags with select ammo, but would not be suitable for longer range due to their over size beads and U knoches, not to mention the ctg.'s unsuitabliity for much longer shots.
; True testing of sights is from hunting positions, rarely observed during most hunter's single 'sighting-in" session each early fall.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: DarylS]
      #111621 - 12/08/08 11:06 AM

I've used the Leupold 2.5x on and off for a few years. I'll always have one just for the heavy kickers as they're a tough scope. I discovered its limitations twice ... once 'searching' in fog and low light to find an animal I knew was there. I still feel greater magnification would have allowed me to see 'through' the fog. Other limitation was a fallow deer taken at 150yards ... shot was easy enough but exact placement was difficult (again early morning light) due to the low magnification.

My 470Capstick now wears a x4 Leupold and my 358Win a X6 Leupold. Even in thick scrub, the 4x I find more versatile than the 2.5x. A 2-7x on my 350RemMag never moves off 4x unless on the range.
Cheers...
Con

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #111626 - 12/08/08 01:56 PM

Quote:

I think scout-type rifles have limited use, but to a guy who's never hunted dangerous game before they seem ideal for that purpose: reflex sighting with full peripheral vision, no scope or mount to interfere with cycling the bolt, and wide-open access to the magazine. I'm curious why more DG rifles aren't set up for forward-mounted acopes?

Don't sell the scout rifle short in it's utility/capability. I recently hunted with a Steyr Scout in .308 in Namibia, plains game only, after my Sharps broke down. The scout is a very under rated setup in my opinion. They carry great and they shoot really good; I'm working a deal to get one in .376 Steyr to be more versatile. The only issues I have are the heavy duplex on the Steyr scopes makes shots over 200 yards a little tougher and the limited low light capability. It's a tough call for general hunting; a 1-4x with generous eye relief vs. a larger objective with better light gathering. For a true DG setup though I wouldn't hesitate to use a big bore scout with an Aimpoint in the forward position.

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #111636 - 12/08/08 06:27 PM

If you fit the 2,5x, I'm sure old Jack O'Connor will smile down on you from heaven!

I have a 1-4x VX-II on my .375 in Warne QD mounts, and I do feel it offers exactly the same as a fixed 2,5x as well as a bit more.

That can be handy sometimes.

vol423
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: TN
Re: Leupold Fixed 2.5x For Bigger Rifles? [Re: jvw]
      #126545 - 10/02/09 03:58 PM

I use 1.5-5X Leupolds on most of my large game guns. I find that setting them on 2X is best for me for quick shooting. Lower power gives me the appearance of negative magnification. I have one of the 100 or so Left Hand Ruger stainless Alaskans in .375 Ruger. I use a 1.5-5X Leupold and a 3-9 Zeiss in two sets of mounts. As I realize more and more the versatility of this caliber, the 3-9 is the scope most often mounted. The Leupold is a very reliable backup should anything happen to the Zeiss.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5469

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com