Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Ripp]
      #113505 - 04/09/08 03:27 AM

Ripp,

Thanks for the wishes.

Chewore is a special place. I've hunted several different areas in Zim and Chewore is far and away my favorite. One evening as dusk approached, we watched about 300 elephants, bulls, cows, half growns and calves, come to the junction of the Chewore River and (?brain cramp?) River to drink where Dande North, Chewore South and Mana Pools or Sapi abutt. Quite a spectacle!!! IIRC we lost count at about 250, with elephants still pouring out of Chewore and Dande. Watched lions while standing there too.

I know OzHunter is fond of Chewore too, as well he should be!

My double rifle is a Marcel Thys sidelock in the odd for a double 458wm. But it works flawlessly and has proven itself on more than a couple of occasions. I keep thinking 500, but really, a 450 or 470 class rifle is enough. The PH I have hunted with most uses a 470 and loves it.

JPK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: JPK]
      #113582 - 04/09/08 09:18 PM

Almost got to go and hunt water buffalo in a weeks time in an unexpected break to the "drought". Unfortunately one appointment that week meant I could not take up the fill in hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #113633 - 05/09/08 04:50 AM

Not sure if you ever watch "Tracks Across Africa" on the outdoor channel--but if you do you might find it interesting to watch this weeks show...they are hunting in "our" favorite area...elephant as well...little surprise in that they harvest 2 elephants this week..unfortunatly one was a cow that, even after shouting and throwing items at her, put her head down and on she come..the other was a very, very nice bull...

Think most would enjoy watching it...Big Max is over there right now chasing buff as well speak..along with Hippo

Take care and again, good luck on your hunt......

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JPK
.375 member

#113716 - 06/09/08 03:02 AM

Ripp,

I swapped posts on another forum with the hunter in the TV show. IIRC, the elephant bull went 56lbs or so, very nice.

Last I heard from Biggmaxx, he was switched to Sapi. I've never hunted Sapi.

JPK

Ripp
.577 member

#113902 - 08/09/08 03:05 AM

JPK,

Yes that is a very nice bull..especially for today...

And you are right, BigMax did get moved to Sapi...hope all is working out well for him..I am guessing by now he is heading back home...looking forward to photos..

Ripp

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #113936 - 08/09/08 08:59 AM

Quote:

JPK

Why did he get switched?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: AspenHill]
      #113945 - 08/09/08 11:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

JPK

Why did he get switched?

++++++

BigMax and I probably have 100 plus emails between us in preparing for his trip..it seems there was some issue with PH's, etc.. so they stated he would be hunting Sapi..I told him I would make more of an inquiry as this is not the norm nor is this what he originally booked..he did and when he responded to me he felt comfortable with the response from both the booking agent and PH..

Man, for his sake, I really hope all went really well...this was his first Safari..actually been thinking of him every day wondering what's going on...

Ripp

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

#113952 - 08/09/08 01:06 PM

Why did he get switched? My take is that RWS is falling apart at the seams with Sarah and Guy aassuming more day to day control. Neither has their s--t together organizationally, and, unlike Roger, they won't turn over that side of the responsibility to those at RWS who do. I wouldn't trust either as far as I can spit either, (unlike Roger), but I think the concession changes were a result of piss poor organization and planning in this case, no bait and switch.

For Big Max, first it was Chewore, "buff heaven", then Nyakasanga, also good, and then Sapi, which is good if the PH knows where the springs are (aka has hunted there extensively). His PH was suposed to be Collin Van Der Linden, who knows Sapi, or so I've been told by fellows who know him. But his PH was changed last minute because Collin had to be home for a family issue, or so Big Max was told. I know Collin, and most other RWS PH's, but I didn't recognize the name of the PH "finally" assigned.

The Sapi change and the final PH change were just weeks from the hunt, so I suggested to Big Maxx that he just let them ride. Hope it was good advice.

I sure as hell hope all works out for Big Maxx.

JPK

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #113961 - 08/09/08 06:02 PM

He would be hard pressed not to enjoy himself anywhere at that part of the Zambezi as you know..

JPK
.375 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: ozhunter]
      #113967 - 08/09/08 09:14 PM

OzHunter, What you say is very true. But I was told that Sapi, unless the PH has the numbers for springs in the jess, can be a very difficult buff hunt. This concerns me "on Max's behalf." What would only make a second or third buff hunt all the more challenging and rewarding might be a bit daunting to a new fellow, especially if you're not seeing many buff.

Also, I would enjoy a difficult hunt with a PH I had confidence in and a good time with, and I have. Collin is a very good PH and a heck of a nice fellow, if you haven't had the chance to meeet him (I haven't hunted with him, but Pete Wood and Rich Tabor speak highly of him as a PH.) And I passed on a good word for Collin, as did others, so Max was looking forward to hunting with Collin. But Collin was changed out last minute for "Gary Farser" as Max typed it. Not too sure it isn't supposed to be Gary Fraiser, which rings a bell somehow. Are you familiar with either name?

Also, too all.

Sorry for the bit of vitriol regarding Guy and Sarah Whittall, but my mounting experience with the two of them informs me that they are examples of acorns that fell far from the tree. Some results of their shananigans in their dealings with me, intentional or not, could be fixed with mere money, some couldn't be fixed.

JPK

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #113978 - 08/09/08 11:45 PM

PM sent

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: ozhunter]
      #114311 - 13/09/08 10:21 AM

Hey Guys, just back from Zimbabwe. Great hunt! Got my daggaboy and went down to the Zambezi and got a big bull hippo on land out on one of the islands. I got my kudu, wildebeast, warthog, zebra stallion, and two impala at Humani. I got one impala for camp meat at the Chewore River. I was in a bush camp that was set up two days before I got there. No electricity or generator, really wild Africa. Then went to Humani to Turgwi River Camp for the plains game. I had a great time, tsetse bites thorns and all. Thanks to you guys I had the right equiptment and general knowledge to make it a great hunt. As soon as I get caught up a little I will post pics. -Max

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10679

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com