Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dangerous game in Namibia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Vaughan_Fulton
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Namibia
Dangerous game in Namibia
      #11122 - 07/03/04 09:32 PM

Hello members,

I am posting the following questions for personal research and out of curiosity.

How many posters here have hunted dangerous game in Namibia?

Where and what species did you hunt?

To the members in general, how much knowledge do you have about the dangerous game in Namibia, that is what species are available and what areas to hunt?

Those hunters who were aware of the dangerous game opportunities in Namibia and decided to hunt elsewhere what were your reasons?

Thank you in advance for all your replies.

--------------------
Vaughan Fulton
(url)www.fultonclassicsafaris.com(/url)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Dangerous game in Namibia [Re: Vaughan_Fulton]
      #11126 - 08/03/04 01:51 AM

I'll bite on the market research. My opinions/impressions:

Elephants: way too expensive in Namibia.

Lions: few and far between.

Leopards: reasonable success I hear, but have shot my first and last, so not of much interest to me.

Buffalo: I tried once, but the outfitter I talked to wasn't much interested in pursuing it as it was "remote" (the Strip) and was grossly expensive and few on license, even if he had.

I have never been there, so this is pure speculation on my part.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Dangerous game in Namibia [Re: Will]
      #11130 - 08/03/04 03:27 AM

Vaughn

I've been to Namibia three times for a total of 8 weeks. I have hunted about half of that but not for DG. I have had friends hunt Elephant and Leopard there but do not know that much about Buff or Lion.

Unlike Will I thought that Leopard were not to difficult when Dogs were used. I have been in areas that were quite lousy with the buggers.

A question for you on Cheetah. Now that the US Govt has decided to not allow imports are they back to being free targets of opportunity?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #11131 - 08/03/04 03:49 AM

I knew that Lion, Leopard, Elephant, White Rhino, and Buffalo are available. The only way I knew about the Buffalo was from looking at the list of huntable animals on the NAPHA web site. I'd be interested in some more information about hunting Buffalo.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Dangerous game in Namibia [Re: Will]
      #11134 - 08/03/04 05:27 AM

Will,

Absolute DITTO!...exactly my experiences with my enquiries into Namibia dangerous game.

Clement Victor...Victor Hunting Safaris... is now taking bookings for the Strip. He tells me that things are pretty quiet there now, and the elephant are quite good. I have no way to confirm this...but I trust the guy.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #11154 - 08/03/04 09:50 AM

Vaughan

I haven't hunted Namibia but have always wanted to, for plains game, gemsbok, hartebeest, etc.

I knew lion and leopard could be hunted and also buffalo in the Caprivi. That elephants in the Caprivi could be very nice as well.

But have always regarded DG there as too expensive for me eg no short 7 day buffalo hunts at a competitive price.

My inclination for future safaries is to hunt buffalo or a cat ($$$ permitting) and add plains game as an aside.

I've hunted buffalo in Zimbabwe - for price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #11157 - 08/03/04 10:19 AM

I was aware of the DG in Namibia and considered it when looking for a hunt to book along with Tanzania and Zim.

I was looking to hunt buff exclusively. In the end I booked the Selous region of Tanzania not only for the wonderful and historic area but this is were I found a PH I felt I could trust I liked and that provided what I was looking for.

I think that my next hunt will be for Elephant and will most likely be in Botswana due to the cost of elephant in Namibia and the requirements you must meet in Tanzania though I belive Tanzania will be the place for trophy elephant in five years or so due to there size restrictions and more limited hunting pressure on them.

James F. Nixon III

Vaughan_Fulton
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Namibia
      #11367 - 11/03/04 04:54 AM

Thanks folks,

One of the main reasons for me posting these questions is that many folks aren't aware of what is available in the way of dangerous game in Namibia.

One observation is that you guys say that Elephant are expensive....compared to?
Yes there is an area that charges $35 000.00 for an Elephant hunt but you stand a reasonable chance of shooting an Elephant over 60lbs and better. However on average I would say that Namibia is reasonable with regard to Elephant.
As for Buff our game department has been conservative in their quotas, this will change as more areas are coming up and the quality is pretty good in the Caprivi.
Lion, There are healthy populations of Lion in the Northeast and in the Northwest of Namibia. With good manes to go with that. Leopard in the government and communal conservancies are plentiful and the success is good. The success on Leopard with dogs goes without saying and there have been alot of excellent Leopard (Toms) shot with dogs.

I look forward to more comments.

--------------------
Vaughan Fulton
(url)www.fultonclassicsafaris.com(/url)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #11368 - 11/03/04 05:02 AM

Vaughan,

Why don't you talk some about "problem animals"? Some might find that interesting as well as a way to save some money.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #11376 - 11/03/04 07:57 AM

Vaughn,

I do not think that $35K for a 60 lb. elephant is out of line with Botswana, as I hear that this is the going rate there for the non-champagne safaris.

It just depends on what one is after. Do two 30-40 lb. elephants equate to a 60 lb. elephant? The cost of two "baby" bulls in Zim are probably in the neighborhood of the cost of the $35K bull in Namibia/Botswana.

It just depends on whether you want the biggest typically available elephant (~60 lb.) or the experience of taking two little elephant.

I was in a camp last year with a Swede that wasn't sure he wanted to hunt elephant again since on his one hunt in Botswana he took a 75/78 lb. bull!! He would have only been interested in another elephant if it was guaranteed to be bigger!! He was on a crusade to get one of everything.

To each their own. I would rather hunt "baby" bulls or cows for the experience, since every hunt and every elephant is different. I would rather have the experience and to be able to "talk" elephant hunting with some credibility than have a pair of 90 lb. tusks leaning against the wall in the corner of my room.

Sure, I want to hunt several hundred 60 lb. elephant, but I can't afford it. So I would rather hunt a dozen or so baby elephant than a big one or two.

Like I said, it just depends on your goals.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2014

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com