Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Webley MK VI Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Sandgroper
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/07
Loc: Narrogin, Western Australia
Webley MK VI Questions
      #111030 - 04/08/08 10:10 AM

I have an opportunity to buy a .455 Webley Mk VI which is described as follows:

"Good overall condition. Replacement grips. Darkish bore with good sharp rifling. Slight slop in action, comes with Simplex 7/8" dies & some empty cases. Serial No. 409344."

I emailed the dealer about the 'slight slop' and received this reply:
"The action is a top break with the locking/opening latch coming over the rear extension of the top strap. There is about 0.0025" play between the top of the top strap and the bottom of the latch. I do not have any previous experience with this make/type of pistol so don't know how much play would normally be there but I would expect it to be minimal. I imagine that it could be repaired if required but do not know if it adversely affects its operation or safety." He has also confirmed that the numbers match on the barrel, frame and cylinder.

The gun is some distance from me but I could have a relative check it over. Thoughts on the condition as described and any other 'what to look for' advice would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Webley MK VI Questions [Re: Sandgroper]
      #111091 - 05/08/08 03:46 AM

The Webley does have some "slop" or play in the frame and cylinder. But cock it, ease the hammer forward, while keeping the trigger depressed, and you'll see that the cylinder and the frame lock up very nicely. Or they should if everything is working properly. to the best of my knowledge the measurements are within normal range.

I've read that the slop was intentional. It was a revolver meant for hard field use by officers and sportsmen who were frequently hundreds of miles from the nearest gunshop. Like the AK-47 it has alot of empty space and large tolerances to take into account mud, dirt, gravel etc. Supposedly the MK V and VI kept functioning in the mud of the Western Front during WWI while the Smith and Wesson Triple Lock in .455 was too tight and didn't do as well. Which was one of the reasons why S&W got rid of the cylinder rod lock.

Make sure the screws aren't buggered and that they are tight. Sometimes it isn't unusual for the screws to be stripped. If they're loose and won't tighten that could be a bad thing. It might mean the screws are no good or it could mean something worse. Check for bulging in the barrel, look over the rifling in the barrel, remove the grips and look for excessive corrosion etc. Make sure it funtions properly, the barrel tips forward without having to use force and when cocked the hammer can't be pushed forward. That is a very bad thing indeed.

Also whne tipped forward the ejector should have some real power to it. If it's sluggish or weak then something is wrong with the spring and you might not want it. Ensure that the frame stirrup (or lock) locks the frame into place as well.

Okay that's all I can think of for now. Hopefully that gives you a start.

I'm a huge fan of the Webley revolver. Also here is another website that is an exceptional source for all Britsh military firearms.

http://forums.gunboards.com/index.php

Edited by Checkman (05/08/08 03:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1730

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com