Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just got back from India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Just got back from India
      #110989 - 03/08/08 12:40 PM

I was away in India for 2 weeks in July. I managed to spend 4 days in a remote are near a Tiger reserve. This is a unique place called "Jungle Trails" and has very basic accommodation & little else. The real attraction is the remote location & the undisturbed wildlife that you can see from the house. The host is Mark Davidar (google him & you will read interesting stuff about the place) and Mark is very selective about whom he allows on the place. He does not permit flash photography or people walking around. A month earlier my brother saw 2 leopards from the veranda & Mark sees tigers regularly crossing to the stream.

During my stay we saw Gaur, Chittal, Sambar, Wild Boar & Elephant from the house. There are a total of 27 tuskers (bull elephants) in the reserve & 7 of them visit Marks place regularly. He has named them after the Brazilian soccer team. We were visited by Roberto Carlos on 3 afternoons & he stayed around for a long time, hoping to get more jack fruit! The tusker came right up to the front steps sniffing around. We just got up quietly & moved to the doorway. It was a thrilling experience to see a truly wild tusker at 6 feet distance! He is a young bull of less than 25 years age & not fully grown - probably 8.75 feet tall. He should start breeding in the next few years.

A month earlier a "Makhna" (huge tuskless bull) visited the house & got a bit rough. He started pushing the roof of the veranda & trying to open the boot of a car!

We also had a thrilling time while driving around. On the first night we saw a the usuel gaur, elephants, deer etc. Then we went up a side road to the Moyar river & were thrilled to hear a tiger roar about 7 to 10 times from across the river! It was only about 150 meters away.

The next day we went out later at around 10 pm & were rewarded with sightings of a sloth bear & a large leopard. This was an amazing sight & my life long ambition to see a wild leopard was fulfilled (after over 50 such trips in the last 45 years). The leopard was about 15 meters away & stood majestically on the side track for about 20 seconds & then quietly trotted away. No luck with photos!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Just got back from India [Re: Nakihunter]
      #110991 - 03/08/08 01:17 PM

Thats a very nice place. Great pics too. I can smell the curry!

--------------------
One day at a time...

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Just got back from India [Re: bigmaxx]
      #111017 - 04/08/08 03:03 AM

lucky you Naki hunter,
yes, ther's a fair bit of wildlife left in India, inspite of the cassandra's and blatant disregard for wildlife laws .And Mark would be right to be choosy about his guests...
I have been to that side of India and look forward to another visit soon , to walk out and take a deep breath of the jungle at dawn...

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Taylor416
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Central West, New South Wales....
Re: Just got back from India [Re: eljefedouble]
      #111052 - 04/08/08 03:24 PM

one word mate, Envious!

cheers

Chris

--------------------
Love to hunt!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4739

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com