Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Looking for a holster

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Looking for a holster
      #98353 - 05/03/08 02:06 AM

Trying to find a leather holster for my Taurus 608(6 1/2 inch barrel)
. I have one for my Taurus 66 that I like-Triple K #196-2 that I like and would like to find something similar for the 608. The gun will be used for hunting purposes so I don't need a concealment holster, just something to keep it at my belt when not in my hand. Also looking for a 608 speedloader if anyone knows of one. Any advice where to look would be appreciated, all I can find is cheap nylon stuff that I wouldn't trust for an airsoft gun.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Looking for a holster [Re: Shackleton]
      #98357 - 05/03/08 02:42 AM

I'm not familiar with that gun. Does it have a full lug barrel?

I make all my own leather holsters, belts, saddle scabbards, etc. But try El Paso Saddlery. Most of EPS stuff is traditional Western or old military types of very practical design for field use.

I favor flap holsters for field use and base mst of my own designs on older military types. That is one of the reasons I like the EPS stuff; they have many holsters that fully enclose the gun and protect it from dirt, snow, etc.

Email or call them with your gun model and ask if they can make you one.

For smiles and giggles, here are some of mine:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (06/03/08 03:18 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #98359 - 05/03/08 03:32 AM

Quote:

Trying to find a leather holster for my Taurus 608(6 1/2 inch barrel)
. I have one for my Taurus 66 that I like-Triple K #196-2 that I like and would like to find something similar for the 608. The gun will be used for hunting purposes so I don't need a concealment holster, just something to keep it at my belt when not in my hand. Also looking for a 608 speedloader if anyone knows of one. Any advice where to look would be appreciated, all I can find is cheap nylon stuff that I wouldn't trust for an airsoft gun.

: There may be a flap holster at trackofthewolf that might fit. True, most are for single actions of the civil war era, but might fit a double action reveolver too.
: I do wish I still had my old RCMPolice holster from 1900. It held my M29 perfectly and out of site from prying eyes around the detachment.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Looking for a holster [Re: DarylS]
      #98371 - 05/03/08 05:42 AM

Find a good saddle maker. Most of them can make what you want and do a very good job of it
I know 2 top notch makers in Riverton Wyoming that can make anything you want, and their craftsmanship is outstanding.
Shipping the gun to them is the problem. They form the holster to the gun, and they don't have FFLs. So if you can't hand them the gun, it's not possible for them to do it for you.
But, Iowa is full of horses, and so there have to be some good saddle makers around.
Look in the phone directories.

Steve

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Looking for a holster [Re: szihn]
      #98410 - 05/03/08 03:15 PM

Nice work on the handmades-got a response from Triple K-they offer the same holster that I have for my 66 to fit the 608-and yes, the gun has a full underlug(would post a pic but don't know where the wife put the digital). Large frame .357 Magnum with 8 shot cylinder. Sure, .357 is fairly tame to shoot but the extra weight helps for the second shot. Now to get around to ordering the thing-good thing deer season isn't till December. Thanks for the recommendations on just having a holster made, might end up going that route(doubtless more expensive but worth it).

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #98444 - 06/03/08 03:05 AM

To be honest, my saddlemaker friends charge LESS than most commercial holsters cost, and their quality is about double what I can buy at the sporting goods store.

I got a half-flap holster made for a S&W M-34, fully stamped and lined, and saddle stitched for only $60. The quality is as good as I have seen from other holster makers at any price. One of less quality from Rosin costs $135.

9.3x57
.450 member

#98450 - 06/03/08 03:25 AM

Quote:

To be honest, my saddlemaker friends charge LESS than most commercial holsters cost, and their quality is about double what I can buy at the sporting goods store.

I got a half-flap holster made for a S&W M-34, fully stamped and lined, and saddle stitched for only $60. The quality is as good as I have seen from other holster makers at any price. One of less quality from Rosin costs $135.

Wow.

Somebody's doing you a real favor, more or less giving it away. THAT is dirt cheap. Frankly, for all the labor involved, $135 wouldn't be bad for a good holster.

Shackleton, I do not own a stitching machine, and all mine are handstitched, and that takes a lot more time, but still, $60 is really cheap. One of the reasons I have pointed folks to EPS is that they make a quality product for a very reasonable {IMO} price. There are a bunch of others, too, and a websearch might turn some up.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #98453 - 06/03/08 04:24 AM

Quote:

One of less quality from Rosin costs $135.

I own four Mitch Rosin holsters. I cannot imagine higher quality than Mitch builds into his holsters. They are in every regard perfect.

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Looking for a holster [Re: Tatume]
      #111019 - 04/08/08 03:53 AM

93x57,
If those are for grins and smilies, whats the real stuff like? i made my own and know the part about form fiting them-hell on the finish, wet the holsters and shove the greased handgun in , and hand bone it-great shape and retention, but the tannic acid is hell on the metal if protective coat is insufficient.What ts your advice on protection for metal?How do you shape/hand bone the holsters?
best
Axx

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Looking for a holster [Re: eljefedouble]
      #111021 - 04/08/08 04:57 AM

Try Bob Mernickle of Mernickle Leather. He is one of the best leather men around. Here is a link: mernickleholsters.com

--------------------
One day at a time...

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Looking for a holster [Re: eljefedouble]
      #111041 - 04/08/08 12:37 PM

Quote:

93x57,
If those are for grins and smilies, whats the real stuff like? i made my own and know the part about form fiting them-hell on the finish, wet the holsters and shove the greased handgun in , and hand bone it-great shape and retention, but the tannic acid is hell on the metal if protective coat is insufficient.What ts your advice on protection for metal?How do you shape/hand bone the holsters?
best
Axx

I have been making holsters, that is, ostly "one-offs" designed for specific guns for 25 years. I have never had a finish effected by the form fitting, and almost all of those guns were simple blue guns. And I don't even make much effort to oil them before fitting/boning them.

I use a gun in a holster every day, or nearly every day, in perfect weather and in total messess; dust {now}, rain, snow, sleet, etc.

Will the tanning acids effect a handgun left in a holster? Yes, over time they will, especially in a humid environment or if the gun or holster is wet when they are mated and then left together. But in practical terms, I do something occaisionally that seems to mitigate the problem...I clean the gun. And I don't store guns in holsters...or maybe I do. My .44 has been stuffed under the seat or in the bed of the Polaris Ranger or on my hip for a month now...

Here's my .44 with me yesterday, building a bear blind {hence the bolo}.

I do the following when making a holster for a friend, etc...

Upon finishing {after fitting, with the holster bone dry}. I SOAK it in in silicone spray. SOAK it. On a big rig, I'll use a whole can of silicone found in automotive stores. I let that dry maybe a week. It makes the leather almost feel like rubber. I leave it at this stage and just use it or...

Then, I heat the holster to 120 degrees F and ditto for the SnowSeal, and apply that liberally, allowing it to soak and dry-in.

Then...I use it. This last bit is the only thing that some folks never get to. I use stuff, wear it out, remake or make new, and don't mind a scuff here or there. I won't live forever on this planet, and neither will my holsters or guns. Wear indicates use. And that indicates experience.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2924

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com