Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Locks Off

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Locks Off
      #110509 - 27/07/08 08:41 AM

A while ago I asked the membership for their opinions regarding recoil pad replacement. (http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=doubles&Number=91252&Searchpage=8&Main=90899&Words=recoil+pads&topic=&Search=true#Post91252)
Well I finally found someone to trust with such operation and delivered it to him. He will now replace the original Silvers pad with a new one. Since I took possession of the rifle it has not had the locks off. I decided to have him remove them to evaluate the insides. I have wanted to do this since I bought it but didn't have anyone I could trust. Who knows when the last time the rifle had been serviced but as you can see from the pictures it has a fair amount of rust on the left side. This particular gunsmith is a true craftsman and will completely disassemble the locks and hand polish all components. I'm very happy that I found the right guy and had this service done. If I remember my camera when I pick it up I will post pictures of the cleaned up locks. I thought others may find this useful and or interesting.

Armbar.

Edited by armbar (27/07/08 08:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Locks Off [Re: armbar]
      #110518 - 27/07/08 10:54 AM

Looks like he did it right. Who did the work? Did he re caseharden the locks?
Bill

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Locks Off [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #110521 - 27/07/08 11:06 AM

Bill,

He hasn't done any work yet. You are looking at the right side that has no rust. Only the left one was rusted. He won't be re casehardening. I didn't think that was important for appearance on the inside.

Armbar

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Locks Off [Re: armbar]
      #110556 - 28/07/08 05:26 AM

The case hardening isn't for looks. It is a very hard wearing surface that is very thin. It will probably be buffed off during the polish.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Locks Off [Re: AkMike]
      #110585 - 28/07/08 01:07 PM

FWIW, I strip and clean the locks on any DR I take possession of, and have polished rough components on several. Any surface rust gets polished off immediately. The bearing (wearing) surfaces where case-hardening might be critical are rarely corroded in my experience.

A polished surface will resist rust far better than a rough-finished case-hardened surface in my opinion. Polish away!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1564

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com