Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Other questions.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Other questions.
      #110557 - 28/07/08 05:57 AM

At the end I have a clear choice of sizes, I am in a dilemma between 416 and 458 Rigby Lott. As you know my intention to buy a rifle in a large caliber Ceska by other threads of discussion that I ask you open council final. The 416 Rigby has the disadvantage that it is expensive ammunition. What do you think? What I choose?.

Thank you,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Other questions. [Re: ovny]
      #110558 - 28/07/08 06:11 AM

I have had several rifles by various makers in .458 winchester magnum and .458 lott. I have had very good results with all of them. The .458 bore size offers many options for reloading as well. The .458 has a good reputation and ammo is generally available anywhere dangerous game is available. The .458 has a good bit more energy for large heavy animals. I would choose the .458, but thats just my opinion.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: bigmaxx]
      #110564 - 28/07/08 08:10 AM

Your opinion, seeing the experience you have is worth a lot to me, that's why you appreciate it. I think that buys a 458 Lott, because it is a powerful cartridge, and has in its favour which is cheaper than the cartridge English. Although the truth in honor of the 416 Rigby I always had love.

Greetings and thanks,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #110565 - 28/07/08 08:36 AM

If you have always loved the Rigby then buy that.

There are no pockets in a shroud.

Regards

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Other questions. [Re: Bramble]
      #110568 - 28/07/08 10:07 AM

Quote:

If you have always loved the Rigby then buy that.

There are no pockets in a shroud.

Regards

Agree --if this is the caliber you love--but the .416---

There is nothing wrong with any of the calibers you mention..have used/shot them myself--but life and hunting opportunities are short---get the one you want..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: Ripp]
      #110590 - 28/07/08 03:05 PM

Thank you, but is that my budget is very limited, so I want a very powerful and that caliber ammunition has a relatively cheap price. As You Like It, grading I liked most is always the 500 Jeffery, but I am realistic and that the cartridge is not going to be able comprarlo.Así that a large caliber is the 458 Lott and which apparently gives very good results.

A greeting and thanks,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #110614 - 28/07/08 11:44 PM

Oscar,
What other calibers do you have? The reason I ask is that if you have anything lighter like a 270, 30/06, 375 H&H, etc. go for the .458 Lott. This would give you a broad spectrum to use. If you don't have anything lighter go for the 416. You can use it for a cross over rifle for the lighter game. I use a 375 H&H for our pronghorn antelope. The females run about 40 kg and it works fine. I think it would be awesome to hunt pigs with the 416.

As for ammunition costs are you allowed to handload in Spain. If you can it will bring down ammo costs quite a bit. At the store ammo fo my .375 H&H is at least $55 for a box of 20. So I have to handload if I want to shoot.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: WyoJoe]
      #110626 - 29/07/08 03:17 AM

Hello WyoJoe:

I have a 338 Winchester Magnum and a 375 H & H Magnum, but the fact is that I want a whim, I'm going to afford saving euro euro, but as I said the 416 Rigby is expensive makes me respect their ammunition, but the 458 Lott, although it is expensive, it differs in a few euros or dollars. A box of 20 rounds of the 458 Lott mark Hornady of about 90 dollars, and 416 Rigby is the mark Federal of 242 dollars. The difference is important. So my choice is the 458 Lott.

Thank you,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #110627 - 29/07/08 03:26 AM

Quote:

A box of 20 rounds of the 458 Lott mark Hornady of about 90 dollars, and 416 Rigby is the mark Federal of 242 dollars.

That is expensive. I handload all of my rifle ammunition myself. Where 375 H&H ammo would cost me $55 for 20 I can handload about 100 for that price.

If you would be interested I will look in my library & see what I can e-mail you on the subject.

On a side note, I enjoyed Spain when I was there in 1973. I was in Rota and went to the bull fights in Sanna Lucar. I am not sure my spelling is correct though.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: WyoJoe]
      #110628 - 29/07/08 04:14 AM

Hello again,

Anyway, here in Spain to recharge a course needs to be done and then ask permission, in addition to recharge utensils (press, dies, etc. ...) are significantly more expensive than in your country. You do not worry, certainly in my life will strip more than a box of this cartridge (458 Lott).

I'm glad you like Spain, the truth is that it is a country where there is joy and desire to party. His spelling has been good, I'm not very fond of bullfights, but I recognise that is very attractive to tourists. I think it is time to re-visit my country again, in summer there's a lot environment.

Thanks again,

Oscar

--------------------
I am Spanish

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #110632 - 29/07/08 05:12 AM

Oscar-

It sounds like any choice you make will leave you with more paperwork and expense issues than any of us have on a daily basis.

Considering that, it appears to me that the cost per round of ammunition is the least of your worries in this scenario.

My instinct is to say 'go for the 458 winchester' because it will get you into a rifle that you can run at the least expense. Velocity for Velocity, it takes more powder to run the Lott than it does the Winchester. It doesn't appear to me that you will have the need for the 'full velocity' loads out of the Lott cartridge.

My heart says 'go with your heart' which might be the .416 for you.

The Lott gives you the most 'horse power', the Winchester gives you the lowest cost, the .416 is the rifle you seem to want the most.

You don't seem to be saying that you have any actual need for the rifle, and that it's simply a purchase to make you happy.

Any way you cut it, you will end up with a nice rifle that will be lots of fun to own, care and load for, and shoot.

Good luck!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: tinker]
      #110633 - 29/07/08 05:42 AM

My choice will be for the most powerful of which had appointed, the 458 Lott, also has the advantage of being cheaper than Rigby. You can also shoot (I think) the 458 Winchester Magnum. True, you have the right to say that I have no real need of the weapon, is a big whim that I want to give me. But what I am going to save euro euro since my economy is not very good. As I say to friends: "Life is short, we must enjoy what we can" and that is why I have decided to buy a rifle in a true gauge of Africa. Thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #110642 - 29/07/08 07:18 AM

Oscar-

Congratulations on your choice.
As we say here in the 'States

"You'll have a blast" with that rifle, translated as to say "You will have a wonderful and rewarding time, getting much joy"

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: tinker]
      #110644 - 29/07/08 08:16 AM

Tinker,

I really have said that the decrease of 458 Lott is very strong and unpleasant, I hope that does not happen. I'm not susceptible to this phenomenon of arms, but neither harmless. I have spoken well of 404 Jeffery, but I think having a 375 H & H Magnum, grading 404J provides little, but the 458 if that Lott is a "big bore" truth. I hope not mistaken, when next time (4 years) can buy my rifle and do it in the 458 Lott.

Thank you for your answers,

Regards,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #110653 - 29/07/08 09:11 AM

No problems with the Lott--

The Lott is very versatile. You can download the Lott and shoot 350 gr bullets or you can max load it with 500gr at 2300 fps.

I have a 458 Win Mag and its recoil is strong but the 416 Rigby seems worse.

Whatever--I don't think you can go wrong with handloading the Lott

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #110660 - 29/07/08 12:22 PM

Quote:

My choice will be for the most powerful of which had appointed, the 458 Lott, also has the advantage of being cheaper than Rigby. You can also shoot (I think) the 458 Winchester Magnum.
Regards,

Oscar.

Yes, You certainly can shoot .458 winchester magnum in the .458 lott rifle. That makes your choice quite versatile, and makes for a high probability of obtaining ammunition in many locales.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: bigmaxx]
      #110686 - 29/07/08 11:57 PM

But my friends, my fear is that shooting the 458 Winchester Magnum could damage the weapon or the initial part of the canyon.

Thank you for your answers,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#110692 - 30/07/08 02:27 AM

Hello again, uf¡¡¡ lio that I have in the head, I do not know if already opted for the 404 Jeffery, whether by the 458 or whether Lott by 416 Rigby. Jeffery said that the 404 is sufficient and very powerful for Africa, others say that the 416 Rigby has very good record (which I also quite matter) and that Lott is the 458 final, powerful, but with the worst record 416 Rigby . I like the 416 and 458 Rigby Lott, but I want something really powerful and that is the 458 Lott. I have a great lio head. Being annoying.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #110896 - 02/08/08 04:31 AM

Buy the Lott. I've shot two Cape Buffalo with mine, and neither one went more than 15 yards. Recoil is just something to get used to. I shoot offhand, or off sticks. Sighting in at the bench is hard, but after sighting in the rifle, you won't shoot on the bench again.

My choice of scope is a Leupold VX-III1.5-5.

If you want to see photos of the gun in Africa, e-mail me.
tfmurphy3@verizon.net

ovny
.375 member

Re: Other questions. [Re: poprivit]
      #110901 - 02/08/08 06:22 AM

Hello, good to see some advantages to 458 Lott:

- Ammunition cheaper than Rigby.
- Increased power.

Virtues of 416 caliber Rigby:

- Increased versatility.
- Increased scope effective.
- Minor setback.

This makes it more confusing.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3455

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com