Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wanted: Article by Don Heath

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Mulga
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/08
Loc: Australia
Wanted: Article by Don Heath
      #108015 - 24/06/08 02:27 PM

Howdy

Would any one have an electronic copy of an article from African hunter magazine? I cant exactly remember the title; it was about the Professional hunter proficiency exam in Zimbabwe, mostly about the rifles used?

I did have the article bookmarked but the link is broken now.

Please let me know

Cheers

Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: Mulga]
      #108026 - 24/06/08 03:43 PM

Dan, is this the one you refer too?
Steve.
PH test

Mulga
.224 member

Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: shinz]
      #108085 - 25/06/08 09:09 AM

Excellent. Thanks for that Steve.

I have a mate wanting to buy a 416 Wby Mk iv. I recommended a Mauser derivitive. As you could imagine the debate still rages. The Article will help my cause.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #108105 - 25/06/08 12:53 PM

Don Heath later renegged on a couple of points in that article, such as Win safety on wrong side, but remained steadfastly scathing of the big Weatherby!

You must accept the fact that your mate will probably be able to find plenty of articles singing the Weatherby's praises....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Mulga
.224 member

Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: Marrakai]
      #108114 - 25/06/08 01:31 PM

Yep such as life hey

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #108123 - 25/06/08 02:08 PM

Quote:

I have a mate wanting to buy a 416 Wby Mk iv. I recommended a Mauser derivitive. As you could imagine the debate still rages. The Article will help my cause.

Tell him to get a CZ550 Magnum in 416 Rigby & load it a bit warmer than factory, it'll be like a 416 Wby without the chrome plated grease nipples & twin overhead foxtails.
Steve

gunbug
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/05
Loc: british columbia
Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: shinz]
      #108155 - 25/06/08 11:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tell him to get a CZ550 Magnum in 416 Rigby & load it a bit warmer than factory, it'll be like a 416 Wby without the chrome plated grease nipples & twin overhead foxtails.
St

eve

How true> Great way to put it

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: gunbug]
      #110107 - 21/07/08 05:25 AM

Quote:

Don Heath later renegged on a couple of points in that article, such as Win safety on wrong side,

That was one I never could understand. Based on his idea that the M70 safety should be on the left side for right-handers, I tried handling some left-handed M70s. I started by holding the rifle in a normal position, basically at port arms, with the safety on, my left hand on the fore end, and my right on the pistol grip. I tried manipulating the safety while the gun was up, as well as taking it off safety for a snap shot as he talks about in his article.

With the rifle to the shoulder there was no way I could operate the safety while keeping my hand in anything resembling a firing position on the pistol grip. I had to let go and reach across the rifle to get it all the way forward to the "fire" position. With the safety on the left side, it's beyond the arc that my thumb can reach while still holding on to the rifle. And letting go of the rifle so I can move my entire hand to get the rifle off safe, then re-establishing a firing grip, is a lot slower than just moving a single digit to flick off the safety and back to grip the rifle.

While still all the way down at port arms, manipulating the left-handed safety could be slightly faster if the thumb of the firing hand was already resting on the left side of the rifle, because with the rifle down it isn't the same stretch at all for the hand to make. Which I suppose might be a slight advantage for hip-shooting a threat that appeared suddenly at the end of your muzzle while you were daydreaming about being somewhere else. No advantage at all if your mind is on what you're doing. And if I had to mount the rifle to take an aimed snap shot as he suggests in his article, the rifle would be off safe when it reached my shoulder no matter which side the safety is on.

Maybe if you have hands the size of a Yeti it's a good idea. But for me, what works on a Government model .45 doesn't work as well on a rifle.

Edited by ChinaFleetSailor (21/07/08 05:45 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #110263 - 23/07/08 01:16 PM

If you have shot an older Bruno you would see the safety on the left side for right handers. This is the perfect place as Heath suggests. It sits farther back than the Winchester safety so is in exactly the right place.

I prefer a tang safety, if possible, myself.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Wanted: Article by Don Heath [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #110264 - 23/07/08 01:48 PM

If I recall correctly, the original article was illustrated with a picture of a pre-War Model 70, which had the safety on the left side of the bolt sleeve. The article makes sense, if you assume the writer was referring to that particular design. I regularly hunt with a pre-War Model 70, and the safety is a real trial to use, particularly with a scope mounted. I will probably fit a conversion safety on it eventually.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3320

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com