Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Peruvian Mauser - what to do?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
akriet
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: in & of Dixie
Peruvian Mauser - what to do?
      #110120 - 21/07/08 10:17 AM

I'm thinking about what to do, if anything, with a 1909 Peruvian Mauser and would enjoy your thoughts and comments.

I am far from a Mauser expert, but this is what I understand from reading and observation: the 1909 Peruvian is a large ring (but small barrel thread) Oberndorf-made Mauser 98 (made 1910-1914) in 7.65 Agentine. It has a __x57 (is that called "intermediate") length bolt and magazine box. The ring has the ornate Peruvian cartouche and the words “MAUSER ORIGINAL”. The bridge has the high charger hump and the winged bolt stop cover that curves up and rests against the charger hump. Straight bolt handle with true pear-shaped knob.

My particular rifle is complete, though all the numbered parts are mismatched, the stock is in, at best, fair shape. The bore is dark. The gun is unaltered military. No pitting to speak of on the action (and no import or other such marks).

So, one option is to leave it alone - it may have some degree of collectible appeal as is.

But I keep thinking that this unique and attractive action is just languishing, unused, in its worn military dress. I can’t help myself but to envision it reborn as a fine, classic sporter reminiscent of the halcyon days of sporting Mausers, like an Oberndorf Sporter. This is the other option.

If it were to become a sporter, I wouldn’t want to alter the receiver or deface the ring and bridge and therefore no drill and tap. So the rifle would be iron sights only, or perhaps it could also, have (claw?) bases put on the rear of the barrel to add a scope with an intermediate focal length (Scout-type scope). Does anyone know if there is any precedent in early-day Mauser/Oberndorf sporters for a barrel mounted scope arrangement?

I was also thinking about the bolt handle. With no scope mounted over the receiver, and though it doesn’t visually appeal to me, I guess the handle could remain straight, but I’m thinking that the original handle could be reforged and bent down somewhat, though not so much as to need a cutout in the stock or receiver.

There is a certain appeal to me of using all the original receiver parts, mis-numbered, non-hinged, military floorplate, etc. Or would this be wearing tennis shoes with a tuxedo? Your thoughts?

What caliber? I wouldn’t particularly need this rifle in any certain chambering to shoot or hunt with, but I definitely would not want to alter the receiver to try to stuff in a longer than designed-for cartridge and I don’t want to alter the bolt face. I would want whatever cartridge it would be built for to feed well without any or much work. I think I would be therefore limited to 57 mm length, or shorter, cartridges given the bolt length and mag box, or am I wrong? I would want the chambering to be consistent with what was available in the early part of the century. Any of the __x57's would be useful to me.

How were the buttplates and grip caps typically done on early Mauser sporters?

What about the action’s steel and heat treating?

Your thoughts, comments, advice, referrals and gunsmith suggestions will be much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: akriet]
      #110137 - 21/07/08 02:05 PM

take a good look at any early rigby in 7x57 or "275 rigby" and you will see a very ordinary action without a hinged floor plate ,a single - two stage trigger, military style bottom metal, the only thing you would change is the bolt handle to a "oberndorf -rigby" style and by that i mean the bolt is just a little closer to the stock than an original oberndorf sporter the rest of the gun is very straight forward most rigbys did not have trap grips or grip caps for that matter,no cheeckpiece ,safety stays the same ,no horn tip simple chechering pattern,if i had an intermediate action this is what i would build,,,and who doesent like a 7x57 ?......paul

TMG
.224 member

Reged: 07/07/08
Loc: USA
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: pjaln]
      #110336 - 24/07/08 01:03 PM

I have just such an action, barrelled with a Lothar Walther 7x57 barrel, with NECG sights and a Talley barrel band. Long ago I lucked into a commercial Mauser intermediate length bolt (not a Peruvian bolt - factory bent with commercial BUNG proofs), and I also have a butterknife handled bolt that headspaces in the same action. I used a 1909 Argentine floorplate / box because I have a few of them and I like them.

You can make nice looking rifles from Peruvian pattern actions. The military ones are also a beauty to behold when in decent shape - I have a minty one that is sooo tight and smooth handling, the only thing (military) that compares to it is the Persian model. The only dilema I faced was wanting a 7x57 with a scope on it; I did not want to grind off that cool looking high charger hump, or do away with the curved wing on the bolt stop. I solved it by picking up a modern 7x57 (Mark X) with scope. So, my 1909 action is going to stay open sights only.

Just picked up a stock for it too - a somewhat funky looking German / 'Euro' style with way too much wood remaining on it - that's ok though, it's easy enough to remove whatever doesn't look like a rifle stock should. When I have some time, hopefully I can post a few pics.\

Good luck with your project and have fun. You might want to shoot it before you change anything - my 7.65 Argentines are all pretty accurate with handloads.

TG

Edited by TMG (24/07/08 01:04 PM)

akriet
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: in & of Dixie
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: TMG]
      #110344 - 24/07/08 02:18 PM

Thanks pjaln and TMG for your thoughts. In thinking about how one could scope the Mauser without altering the receiver, I'm kind of thinking about the possibility, and if I could find a gunsmith to do it, of a quarter rib on the barrel holding the rear sight, and the rib itself also cut to accept Ruger rings - and then put an intermediate/scout scope on it. I don't know how big of deal making the Ruger ring cuts in a rib would be?

pjaln
.375 member

#110374 - 25/07/08 08:03 AM

a nice side mount solves the problem ,g&h ,or jeager,get a catalog from new england custom gun, might be something there that can help you ...paul

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: pjaln]
      #110403 - 25/07/08 09:19 PM

akriet,
IMHO you better get the original barrel if it shoot straight.
You can get 7,65 ammo from Hornady, I use them.
The was a special mount for IER scopes that goes on the back sight ring if I can recall correctly (A-Square or Brownells?).
Also, yo can bend the handle as pjaln said.
Martin

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: beleg2]
      #110774 - 31/07/08 01:43 PM

pjaln:
Glad to hear some-one else does not feel obligated to worship at the 'hinged floor-plate' alter. I admit the Oberndorf lever is a neat gadget, and my Kurz Mauser has one, but for a no-nonsense working rifle I love the standard military floor. You can open it in a few seconds if you need to, for cleaning or whatever, but it will never drop open in the shooting field.

I'll happily remove unused cartridges one at a time with the partially-cycled bolt, rather than have a floor-plate spring open and dump cartridges in every direction. Hinged floor-plates always stuck me as 'clumsy'.

Apologies for rant, now back to the Peruvian...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: Marrakai]
      #110782 - 31/07/08 02:18 PM

You guys are giving me mauser fever, Be sure to post pics as the project developes. I have a .45-70 siamese mauser sporter I'm crazy about.

--------------------
One day at a time...

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #110849 - 01/08/08 09:22 AM

bigmaxx, there is a 45-70 built from one on westley richards site under american custom rifles
i have 2 original slant box rigbys....paul

MattieA
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
      #112267 - 22/08/08 01:44 PM

Akriet, I think it is getting to be almost a sin to sporterize any military Mauser which hasn't yet been altered, even if the serial numbers don't match. So many have been sporterized ("Hot dog, Maw, my new gen-yew-wine Bishop stock came in the mail!") that the remaining military ones are gaining value. However, if you choose to do so, I agree that the high magazine charger hump is very distinctive, and worth keeping. There is an article in a back issue of 'Hatari Times' in which Harold Wolf showcases a very good-looking open-sighted Peruvian Mauser he made in a larger European cartridge. I assume the width of the cartridge base lent itself to loading onto stripper clips. So, if you can be happy with open sights, building something like that might be an option. I have a sporterized Peruvian Mauser (Belgian, I believe) which has been shortened to Kurz length and ground to small-ring width to be made into a 250 Savage. However, it will be scoped.
Regarding cartridges, I wonder (a) if Springfield stripper clips could be used for a 35 Whelen, or even 400 Whelen, and (b)if the magazine charger hump on the Peruvian Mauser would need to be widened to accept these stripper clips. European-wise, a 9.3 x62mm, using M98 stripper clips, might be nice too. Seems an open-sighted bolt-action rifle should be chambered in a larger, medium-to-slow cartridge.

MattieA
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: MattieA]
      #112268 - 22/08/08 01:51 PM

Oops. I didn't notice the requirement to stick to a cartridge with 57mm or shorter case length. Isn't there a 9x57, popular in Sweden?

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? [Re: MattieA]
      #112306 - 23/08/08 08:08 AM

Marrakai,I agree 100% about the military floor plate.I have on original 7x57 Oberndorf Mauser Modell B that had that silly hinged lever floor plate .What an annoying thing that was to carry! I finally exchanged it for a "Standard Modell" military floorplate and I love the rifle.I also have a Rigby in .275 that has a military floor plate also.You don't want to be caught in the Kalahari with a broken floor plate !Also what makes a great Rifle is not its embellishments but rather its useablity! A great rifle must be totally reliable and become part of you!Enter W.D.M. Bell!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5431

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com