Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels
      #10638 - 02/03/04 01:57 PM

...pardon this newbie question, but what is the consensus on cleaning the barrels of a double rifle?...

...anyone that has spent time on other chat boards will be well aware of the almost a*al approach to cleaning by turnbolt fanatics (e.g., bore guide + coated steel bore rod + kroil + jb paste + shooters choice + sweets, etc.)...

...in this case, although double rifle barrels are more costly to replace/repair than standard rifle barrels, is the cleaning regiment actually use in fact less rigorous than with bolt action rifles?...can you even find a bore guide for double rifle barrels?...is the cleaning approach merely the same as the cleaning approach used for smooth bore double barrels?...

...any suggestions would be appreciated...

...thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #10641 - 02/03/04 02:27 PM

I would suggest that you quit worrying about it. I use a bore snake for almost all my cleaning whenever I clean my guns. Just take barrels off the receiver and just use the bore snake. They are very convenient and don't take up any space at all. I had talked with the guy selling them at some gun show way back when and he told me he made them in almost all calibers. The only time I use a regular cleaning rod is when somehow my barrel(s) would get fouled up and accuracy suffers.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: 475Guy]
      #10649 - 02/03/04 03:26 PM

Ia gree. I don't get to bothered at all about it. A little dirt is good. If you clean it too well than you than you can clean all the good shots that are still left out.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #10694 - 03/03/04 01:35 AM

TE, there is a regimine for the cleaning of double rifles, but what i think you are asking is about the cleaning of the bore! If that is the case, then the only thing I would suggest is, always clean from the chamber end. Beyond that care must be taken not to cause undue wear at the muzzles. In the smaller chamberings, a regular rod is uaually all that can be used, but if the rifle is 450 or larger, an approperiate shotgun cleaning rod made of wood is the best. Galazan has little two piece wooden rods for a 410 shotgun that works very nicely! For the bore guide, if you have, or have a friend who has a wood lathe, have him turn you one from a stick of NYLON, useing a cartridge case as a patern.

As Mike says, one shouldn't get the barrels too clean, unless wet weather is in effect. A slightly fouled barrel set, seems to regulate best.

The one thing that should be done at each cleaning is, to clean the hook, and pin area very throughly, and coat with a thin coating of plain vasaline. Most doubles that become "OFF FACE" do so from wear in this area, rather than shooting them.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #10703 - 03/03/04 03:29 AM

I also use a 50 to 54 caliber bore snake for the most part.

Once a year I will clean my double with Wipe Out very throughly and oil the bores...

I ONLY use a STAINLESS STEEL ONE PIECE rod. Also get on of the larger diameter size rods as it will have better stiffness...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: atkinson6]
      #10705 - 03/03/04 03:43 AM

I would like to try the Wipe Out product as it is suposed to be very good.

Not available locally unfortunately (as far as I know).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#10724 - 03/03/04 07:26 AM

...all good thoughts...many thanks for the advice...will try to break this bad habit of over cleaning...

...dugaboy1...now that you have mentioned it, how would one go about cleaning the action of a box lock ou?...can't seems to get an info from the usual sources (e.g., boddington's 'keep it accurate' or carmichaels 'the rifle book')...thanks in advance for your help...

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: NitroX]
      #10725 - 03/03/04 07:28 AM

nitrox,

...i was actually alerted to wipeout through the company's oz dealer...will try to search this site or ar for the name of the agent...

JoeR
.224 member

Reged: 19/01/04
      #10735 - 03/03/04 09:41 AM

I agree with Ray. Boresnake and wipeout are the easiest on the rifle and give the best results. Wipeout is great, especially on the older rifles with years of buildup. Great product, great people. www.paulcousa.com

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #10742 - 03/03/04 10:39 AM

Thomas,

For disassembly and cleaning of boxlocks and sidelocks, take a look at Desmond Mills and Mike Barnes's book, "Amateur Gunsmithing". Though I do have the book I've never had the courage to do the operation myself...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: Chasseur]
      #10744 - 03/03/04 10:53 AM

Thomas

Stay away from trying to take the action apart for cleaning yourself. It takes very special screwdrivers to take apart. The turnscrews are ground for each screw and it takes a very competent smith to do it. Better to leave it alone as if you bugger the screw, and you will, the value decreases with it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: mickey]
      #10746 - 03/03/04 11:11 AM

If you want the action of a double cleaned then send it to a double gun smith every year or three...stay out of there, no need..

More guns and more bores for that matter are ruined by cleaning than are shot out or ruined by shooting.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Cleaning Double Rifle Barrels [Re: mickey]
      #10764 - 03/03/04 01:12 PM

...my apologies...should have clarified...was only referring to dugaboy1's comments about a 'cleaning regimen' for double guns...guess that would mean the surface areas of the actions, lump lockups, table, bolts, triggers, irons, wood surfaces, etc...

..thanks again...

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #10819 - 04/03/04 01:54 AM

I completely agree with Mickey's and Ray's comments, I don't think you should take apart a box lock by yourself, I'd never do it. Just take it to the gunsmith every two-three years. Though the book I recomeneded is an interesting read.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #10835 - 04/03/04 06:27 AM

In reply to:

...dugaboy1...now that you have mentioned it, how would one go about cleaning the action of a box lock ou?...can't seems to get an info from the usual sources (e.g., boddington's 'keep it accurate' or carmichaels 'the rifle book')...thanks in advance for your help...

TE, as Ray, and Mike have already said the inside cleaning of the action is something best left to the pros! What I was refereing to is the surface of the henge pin, and the surface of the lumps. This can be done with a little solvent of your choice, and a Q-tip. The slideing Purdy lock bar that slides into the bites can be cleaned the same way, and a light coating of Vasaline, to combat friction, on their surfaces. This should be done every time the rifle is used in the field.

A yearly break down cleaning of the action should be done by a good smith who knows doubles, unless the rifle is hunted in rain,or dropped in the river, then it should be done promptly after you return home!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#10838 - 04/03/04 06:53 AM

dugaboy1,

...very good advice, thank you for your suggestions...

atkinson6
.375 member

#11007 - 06/03/04 05:52 AM

Absolutly keep the hinge pins, and surface parts and those areas you can get to wiped clean and oiled or greased whichever the case may be...I use a very small amount of grease on the hinge pins, but clean them dry and use a very small amount of that red transmission oil on them when I hunt....That is the worlds purest oil BTW...

The problem with oil or grease is that it collect dirt, grit and stuff that is abrasive and damaging., so a little really goes a long ways in the field.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3919

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com