Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
sportingrifle
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/05
W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture
      #109576 - 12/07/08 12:38 PM

Hi All....

I recently acquired a nice matched pair of W.J. Jeffrey 12 bores. Moderately plain, side lock ejectors, damascus hammer guns with dolls head extensions, and well figured stocks. From the older catalogs, they are probably a No. 3 Grade "Farmers" gun. The 2 guns are in a fitted case with various accoutrements and were once owned by a locally significant historical figure.

I am trying to ascertain when the guns were manufactured. I have written and emailed John Roberts in London (who holds the records and name) but have never received an answer. The serial no.'s are 8409, and 8475. The proof marks are pre-1904. If anyone has a Jeffrey anywhere near this serial no., and knows when the gun was made, I would love to hear from you.

Kevin Maher
Vancouver island, Canada.

kmaher80@hotmail.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture [Re: sportingrifle]
      #109587 - 12/07/08 02:48 PM

Kevin

Paul Roberts holds the records and the name now.. How long ago did you send the email?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

sportingrifle
.224 member

Re: W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture [Re: mickey]
      #109590 - 12/07/08 03:50 PM

Hi Mickey....

Sorry, I meant Paul Roberts and I tried contacting him several months ago after first contacting Hollands' who directed me there.

Thanks Kevin.

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
      #109605 - 12/07/08 08:52 PM

I Just had a look in Nigel Browns book at the W J Jefferys serial numbers and your numbers fall into the 1898----1901 range. serial numbers 8001----8500 I hope this helps
good shooting
sbs470

sportingrifle
.224 member

Re: W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture [Re: sbs470]
      #109616 - 13/07/08 02:37 AM

SBS470...

Thanks you so much for your effort. This is most helpful.

Kindest regards,

Kevin.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #109686 - 14/07/08 12:07 AM

Sportingrifle:
Not too many so-called "farmer's guns" were damascus hammer ejectors! That is a fairly rare combination as it turns out.

If they are indeed a matched pair of ejector guns, you may have something quite special. I assume they are top-lever? Even better!

We would greatly appreciate a photo of these guns I reckon!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: W.J Jeffrey Date of Manufacture [Re: Marrakai]
      #109691 - 14/07/08 05:41 AM

I think if we replace 'farmer' with 'owner of huge tract of land, including all mineral and hunting rights', we'll get a little closer to what the original owner really had going for himself.

Quote:

Not too many so-called "farmer's guns" were damascus hammer ejectors! That is a fairly rare combination as it turns out.

I agreee.
Pairs of ejector guns typically go along with privilege and wealth. They're made to not only to fit in a case together, but also to handle identically, pattern identically, and hit to the exact same point of impact as each other.
A bespoken pair is a very special piece of kit.

In use in the field, there's an assistant who in concert with the shooter, takes the freshly shot gun, reloads it, and hands it off to the shooter who hands the freshly-shot gun back to the assistant...
The sequence is quite a sight to be seen, and for all practical purposes, the guy doing the reloading is getting paid for the work!

Not what most folk in the western world would consider 'farmer's gear'

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #109910 - 17/07/08 03:05 PM

Quote:

I am trying to ascertain when the guns were manufactured. I have written and emailed John Roberts in London (who holds the records and name) but have never received an answer.

Kevin:

No, that's not quite true. J. Roberts & Son (Paul Roberts is the son and current chairman), former owners of John Rigby & Co, leased the right to the use of the W. J. Jeffery & Co. name in 2000. They don't have the records. The owner of the name and records is in Houston, Texas. The records can be accessed - the long way around the barn. Here's how it works. Send an email to J. Roberts & Son (I'd suggest directing it to John Resteghini), with your serial numbers and a short description, and request a copy of the ledger page for the guns. These requests are forwarded to the owner, who then processes them - twice a year. I don't remember if there is a charge for this service or, if so, how much. Ask John. You may need to provide a CC number. I have several Jeffery ledger copies obtained this way.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2982

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com