Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Howdah Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Howdah Rifle
      #109861 - 16/07/08 09:44 PM

Some of you may remember an earlier post on a Kavanagh Howdah Rifle I acquired from the liquidation of a private firearms museum late last year. Well I finally got around to doing a story on that interesting little double for our Arms Collectors Club newsletter.

The story is accessible through the 'Quarterly Newsletter' page of the Northern Territory Arms Collectors web-site, or go directly here.

The black-and-white photos look great in the printed publication, but lose a lot over the ether. Nevertheless, you get the idea.

BTW, interesting thread on bore-gun cartridges running concurrently, but bugger-all info on powder charges! Can anyone confirm the 3-dram assumption on a 12-bore 2 1/2-inch spherical ball or short conical pin-fire cartridge?

Added to ezine

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by NitroX (14/07/10 03:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Re: Howdah Rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #109864 - 16/07/08 10:23 PM

Great article!

--------------------
Life is for Service

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Howdah Rifle [Re: tarawa]
      #109916 - 17/07/08 07:27 PM

i second that, marrakai have you shot the sweet little thing yet ?

best

peter

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #109925 - 18/07/08 02:22 AM

Marrakai,
Great article, I enjoyed it. I would like to see some more detailed photos of the gun ( are they already posted here somewhere?). 3 drams is a standard paradox load, powerful enough indeed. I had turned up a reference or two (researching a Greener)detailing injuries to the elephant both from the tiger and from firing at and trying to dislodge an attacking tiger. The one instance shooting through a perched on the head tiger and motally wounding the elephant in the head. The other the tiger grabbing on to the underside of the elephant and raking it with its claws, which might make for a difficult shot but one best taken with the likes of a Howdah rifle such as the Cavanaugh!

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Howdah Rifle [Re: gatsby]
      #110028 - 20/07/08 12:01 AM

peter:
Haven't shot it yet, and will try to resist the temptation until I can make up some solid-web cases to avoid any possibility of blowing-out the pin-fire patches!

gatsby:
I need to take a bunch of better photos of that little double, and will do so in the medium term as time is precious at the moment getting our Arms Collectors Association display organised for the Darwin Show next weekend. Stand by!

BTW, you will have noticed that I used the Maharajah of Cooch Behar's quote from your signature line in that article! I have a repro copy of his "Record of Thirty-Seven Years Sport". A marvellous treatise, but a bit repetative....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #110038 - 20/07/08 01:36 AM

Marrakai-

You've seen some account of my 16b rifles. I run ~2-3/4drm in the heavier of the two, three in your little 12b could be so.
It's easy enough to find out!

Fish some lousy old hulls from under the seats of your rover, start with 2drm, card-wad-ball and a long piece of string.
See if she's still good to run!
Keep it up like so up to 3drm, you'll know soon enough if she'll wanna blow...

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com