Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: lancaster]
      #110047 - 20/07/08 06:24 AM

some more pictures from Manufrance catalog.
BTW: the complete name of Famufrance was Manufacture Francaise Darms et Cicles de Saint Etienne.

Thanks
Martin

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: beleg2]
      #110059 - 20/07/08 01:38 PM

is this the same catalog or another one?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #110060 - 20/07/08 01:39 PM

I must say, I am not very familiar with the metric system, but I can tell you from experience what works in you understand the "English System"

In my 50 cal rifles you will typically use about 80-90 grains of powder and they shoot a 180 grain ball
In 54 cal it's common to use about 110 grains of powder
In a 58 caliber it's common to use about 125-130 grains.
In a 62 caliber you use about 140-150 and in a 66 you usually use about 165 grains

All these powder charges give about 1800 FPS.
The approximant ball weights will be about like this;

50 cal 180 gr
54 cal 230 gr
58 cal 270 gr
62 cal 330 gr
66 cal 430 gr

Weight is of course heavier as the balls get bigger, but the diameter of the wounds also come into play so you see a greater lethality as the bore size increases. It's extremely noticeable with the bigger sized when you hit big game.

lancaster
.470 member

#110061 - 20/07/08 01:45 PM

from the oldest to the newest:
The D Dupleks from Latvia

taken from the website: http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/articles/show/hunting-ammunition

The D Dupleks slug making experience beginnings started in times when Latvia was still incorporated in the USSR. Back then, mostly smooth-barrel weapons were available to local hunters; this facilitated developing and improving new and alternate technical solutions. Also nowadays, every next D Dupleks slug design is developed considering the latest science and technology achievements, to achieve even higher accuracy and effectiveness. D Dupleks has 20 years of experience in steel slug production, and its products are highly regarded in the hunting community.
D Dupleks steel slug production uses the latest technologies and productive high-precision machinery; it ensures constant and high product quality. The sophisticated slug making process is performed with various metal-working machinery and other computerized processing equipment. Every stage of production is under strict control, thus ensuring flawless performance of any product.
Monolit 28, Monolit 32, Dupo 28, Rossa 32 and Hexolit 32 slugs have polyethylene rings in their frontal part and stabilizing wads in the rear part, which ensure flawless shotshell case crimp opening and centering the slug body within the barrel. The diameter of the steel slug body for every gauge is calculated in such a way to ensure fully safe slug passage through the narrowest possible standard shotgun choke. Also, length dimensions of slugs are designed to be no less than the diameter of the barrel. This eliminates the possibility of the slug to twist in an acute angle and damage the internal barrel surface during the shot.
The polymer ring on the slug’s frontal part is pressed onto the steel body under high pressure with great accuracy. Thus, it is capable of resisting heavy loads during the first moments after firing, as well as ensuring perfect slug centering and its safe passage through the barrel. The forces acting during a shot facilitate pressing the plastic parts into the slug body. Polyethylene parts pressed onto steel body have better sliding characteristics; they do not create fouling on the metal surface and effectively prevent damage

Fast and accurate slug for long distance shooting. The slug body is made of steel and has a galvanized coating against corrosion. The recoil is short and soft, allowing fast aiming for the next accurate shot. It is especially suitable for semi-automatic shotguns. The slug is highly resistant against ricocheting and has an excellent capability to cut through various obstacles such as tree branches, bushes and dense grass. When shooting through obstacles - the slug retains initial trajectory well. On hitting the target, the slug ensures powerful impact. It does not disintegrate during the hit and therefore does not contaminate the meat product. The modified Monolit 28 Sport slug with a reduced propellant load can be quite effectively used in sports shooting.

http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/ddupleks_products/show/Monolit28

A powerful slug of the Monolit series with a 32 g weight provides high accuracy results in areas extremely densely overgrown with bushes and grass, where rifled weapon use is ineffective. At the moment of hit, Monolit 32 bullet provides especially strong impact. The flat frontal surface ensures complete impact energy transfer to the target. The slug body is lathe-machined, enclosed in a polymer casing and centered ideally, thus being very accurate. Slugs do not contain lead and do not foul barrels with lead foil and burned waste.
Monolit 32 slugs have found their use in a quite extraordinary economic sector – non-conventional farming. Outdoor cattle farming has become quite popular. When large bulls and cows born outdoors and after grazing in vast areas all year long have reached proper age and dimensions, a need emerges to extract them from this environment. A three or four year old bull of the Scottish Highlander breed weighs approx. 1000 kg. Extracting such half-savage animals from their environment is rather problematic – it is impossible to capture them.
Over the years, farmers have found the best solution, make awell-aimed shot from a 35-50 m distance at the animal’s head between the horns. Monolit 32 slugs loaded in 12/70 gauge shotshells from a 20 m distance punch through steel plate of 6 mm thickness. Such proven slugs easily penetrate an animal’s forehead bone, and their powerful impact kills an animal at once. The abruptness of this effect is confirmed by meat product biochemical analysis. Initially, rifles were used for this purpose, but several cases when animals were wounded by bullets rebounding from the thick forehead bone speak in favor of using Monolit series slugs. Even if the aim was not perfect, the large frontal slug surface area knocked down the animal effectively. The Monolit series slugs have not yet been tested in big African game hunting, but the experience obtained in large cattle farming suggests that these slugs would have a high stopping effect against African buffalo.

http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/ddupleks_products/show/Monolit32

A slug with a fast and powerful stopping effect. During the first moments of hit, it expands to a maximum diameter of 3 cm and provides strong impact within the whole expansion area. Meanwhile, the slug blows a huge portion of air through the entrance hole, causing a powerful pneumatic shockwave on vital organs – respiratory, circulatory and neural systems. The internal pneumatic blow is the strongest effect of Dupo 28 slugs. Increased initial velocity allows using these slugs in driven hunting for shooting fast-moving targets without an especially large forward lead. The straight flight path allows long-distance slug shooting without vertical correction. Dupo 28 is a highly accurate slug ensuring fast and effective impact energy transfer, and an additional pneumatic shockwave inside the animal body.

http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/ddupleks_products/show/Dupo28

This slug exhibits good accuracy in long distance shooting, thanks to a specially centered slug body. Good penetration capability combined with a large expansion effect makes this slug very suitable for big game hunting. The large slug entrance hole creates massive blood tracks,even in case of a bad hit. After hitting the body, the Rossa 32 slug performs powerful and deep penetration, usually remaining in one piece and not splintering apart.

http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/ddupleks_products/show/Rossa32

A slug with an extremely enormous impact effect. When hitting the body, the frontal part of the slug instantly increases from 18.5 to 36-38 mm in diameter – this is the largest slug expansion diameter ever known. It creates an entrance hole with a 3.5 cm diameter, hits powerfully with all its expansion area and disintegrates into six symmetric splinters. The splinter cone causes an extensive area of damage. The unified effect of a hydrodynamic and pneumatic shockwave inside the body, along with splinter damage, ensures an unique instant stopping effect with the Hexolit 32 slug, which provides good results even with imperfect hits.
http://ddupleks.dev.burti.lv/EN/ddupleks_products/show/Hexolit32

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:53 PM)

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #110067 - 20/07/08 04:24 PM

Quote:

this was a great find fuhrmann!
ok, the 24 ga here used was a very ligth load. 15,1mm long, 21,9 gramm cats head with 2,5 gramm (38,5 grain!!!!!)rifle blackpowder. the ballistic is what we think, only 342 m/sec

the 24 ga RWS cats head was 18,70mm long, weight 33,3gramm. obviously that there are different weight's around:

I have here camber cast's from 3 different guns

28/50 cartridge, Husqvarna Mod 17 A

24/40 cape gun, Funk /Suhl

20/40 heavy target rifle with Mauser M 71 action

all have a mark at 40mm to show the end of the case in the chamber. the husqvarna have a chamber for a 50mm long case and the 20 bore have a lot of freebore till rifling starts. the rifling in the Funk 24 ga starts immediate when the case ends. its clear that you can only load a cartridge with a bullet completely in the case. you get more than 38,5 grains in the case. I think that there is enough place for 70 grain BP in such a combination.( like the 577 snyder! a cartridge that take all game in its time including elephant in india) this funk cape gun is a very light one, maybe it was only build for light roe deer loads.

Lancaster,
you read the wrong line here - velocity for the 24 ga. is given as 265 m/s. This really appears as a "sqib load"; maybe this was untypically low.
The 1877 book of A. Zimmer recommends loads of 3 to 3.5 grams (ca. 46-54 grains).
If there is more volume in the Lancaster cases that you know so well, then this will most probably have been used for powder. Or was it usual to have some wad between powder and bullet, reducing the usable volume?

Fuhrmann

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: szihn]
      #110068 - 20/07/08 04:38 PM

Quote:

I must say, I am not very familiar with the metric system, but I can tell you from experience what works in you understand the "English System"

In my 50 cal rifles you will typically use about 80-90 grains of powder and they shoot a 180 grain ball
In 54 cal it's common to use about 110 grains of powder
In a 58 caliber it's common to use about 125-130 grains.
In a 62 caliber you use about 140-150 and in a 66 you usually use about 165 grains

All these powder charges give about 1800 FPS.
The approximant ball weights will be about like this;

50 cal 180 gr
54 cal 230 gr
58 cal 270 gr
62 cal 330 gr
66 cal 430 gr

Weight is of course heavier as the balls get bigger, but the diameter of the wounds also come into play so you see a greater lethality as the bore size increases. It's extremely noticeable with the bigger sized when you hit big game.

SZihn,

I am very interested in this numbers!
Would you kindly check this thread: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=109972&an=0&page=0#Post109972
In this thread I am puzzled about the low powder loads and resulting low velocities used in the "Germanic system".
You are using a powder : bullet ratio of ca. 1 : 3 up to 1 : 2.
Such heavy loads were also used in American plains rifles.
A German book of 1877 recommended a ratio between 1 : 7 and 1 : 6.

Fuhrmann

lancaster
.470 member

Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: fuhrmann]
      #110082 - 20/07/08 09:41 PM

I was on the attic and grab some catalogs from 2001. seven years can be a long time, dont know if the slugs here are in produktion in the year of the lord 2008. you will see that every slug can be described as brenneke, forster slug or sabot slug. some design's are a combination of this

the Aguilla 12 ga 1 3/4 Mini Slug

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:53 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110083 - 20/07/08 09:45 PM

federal slugs

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:54 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110084 - 20/07/08 09:49 PM

Saga from spain had have four 12 ga slug load's from 28 to 34 gramm's

the Saga slugs with a original brenneke for comparison

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:54 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110085 - 20/07/08 09:55 PM

Record from russia

a double roundball load, called "Tandem" in 12, 20 and 410 bore

Strela slug in 12, 16 and 20 ga and Kometa slug in 410

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:55 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110086 - 20/07/08 09:58 PM

Azot from russia

410 ga, slug weight 9,5gramm

12, 16 and 20 ga

slug weight 34, 28 and 25 gramm

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:55 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110088 - 20/07/08 10:21 PM

Gualandi from italy is maybe the world biggest plastic shotcup producer. this firm dont load cartridges but sell components to everyone. the gualandi slug are available in the united states from ballistic products http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/products.asp?dept=71
also the 8 ga industrial slug

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:56 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110089 - 20/07/08 10:29 PM

Baschieri&Pellagri from italy is one the firm's who load the gualandi slug, making also a forster slug load's and another brenneke with plastik wad copy

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:56 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110090 - 20/07/08 10:32 PM

see this just now, the AQ SLUG http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0151000

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:57 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#110100 - 21/07/08 02:48 AM

Federal Law Enforcement Tactical TruBall Rifled Slug
This is 12 gauge Federal Law Enforcement Tactical 2 3/4" 1oz. TRUBALL Rifled Slug. Federal continues their shotshell revolution with this new and extremely effective round. The Federal Tactical TRUBALL Rifled Slug provides an amazing accuracy improvement for smoothbore shotguns. The unique TRUBALL system locks the components together, centering the slug in the barrel. This unique system promotes clean separation of components after muzzle exit to ensure greater down-range accuracy. The TRUBALL Slug is capable of 2" groups at 50-yards. This is more like what you'd expect of sabot slugs shot from a rifled barrel. Federal Tactical Slugs also feature an all brass head for improved extraction and ejection and a blue hull for easy visual identification. The TruBall Rifled Slug ushers in a new generation of rifled slug systems and provides the confidence you need in any situation, whether it be that buck of a lifetime or protecting your family. 2.75".

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:57 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#160643 - 18/05/10 01:44 PM

some exotic slug loads
12 Gauge Armor Piercing Rounds

This ammo is restricted in the following cities and/or states: All of Alaska; All of CA; All of HI; All of IL; All of MA; All of NY; Staten Island, NY; Queens, NY; Washington D.C., APO & FPO Addresses, No PO boxes.

This awesome round houses enough power to penetrate the thickest car doors, commercial steel doors and most objects up to 1/4'' steel plate. This slug has a steel penetrator button, boosted by a very hot charge, has an unbelievable velocity to slice through metal like a hot knife slices through butter. 2 3/4" round

12 Gauge Double Slug -

One shot, Two hits! you will double the punch, the impact and the chance of hitting your target all in one shot! This 12 GA round is loaded with two slugs that weigh 3/4 oz. each. The recoil is a little heavier than a standard 12 Gauge load, and so are the results! At 25 yards the two slugs will strike your objective about 2 inches apart. At 50 yards, the strike spreads to nearly a foot apart! Unbelievable twin knock-down power! 2 3/4" round

12 Gauge Exploder -

A stabilized, finned slug with a deep hollow core for loading combustible materials. The exploder round has curved finns in the rear of the slug for stability. D.O.T. regulations require that the "Exploder" hollow cavity be shipped unloaded. This allows you to load the cavity yourself, safely with no tools required. complete instructions included. 23/4'' round. The sale or shipment of this ammo is also restricted to: All of CA, All of FL, All of IA.

12 Gauge Terminator X
The lethality contained within the hollow core slug of our terminator 12 GA almost can't be advertised. Upon impact, this slug mushrooms and expands to nearly two inches, stopping the slug from totally penetrating your objective. This rapid expansion forces the dozen of tiny pellets to spread through your objective like a cancerous disease, opening an area at the impact point equal to a softball. The cavity created has the shock effect of 95%. That means only 5% of any living being could survive this kind of hit. 2 3/4" round

12 Gauge Pit Bull -

Pure Power! The Pit Bull is a powerful 12 gauge round packed with six 00-Buck pellets topped with a heavy-duty 1.3 oz. slug! Loaded extra hot for MAXIMUM stopping power! Once it bites, it won't let go. This is the number one rated ammo for home and self defense. 2 3/4" round

http://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:58 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #160658 - 19/05/10 02:18 AM

Slug loads have certainly changed a great deal in these 'modern' times.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: DarylS]
      #160666 - 19/05/10 04:33 AM

its interesting that these exotic slug loads are very much the same as some special loads from before 1900

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#160673 - 19/05/10 09:10 AM

If you want to move more products, you have to re-invent the wheel - then use high powered marketing to 'sell' your "new & improved" version.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#174021 - 25/01/11 02:19 AM

more slugs:
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/products.asp?cat=13

Paraklese Technologies’ Thunderhead .410 2 1/2” 168 grain hollowpoint slug. We roll crimp ALL our .410 rounds toinsure smooth feeding and easy ejection. This slug is a variation of our patented Mass Forward design. This slug has fins running down its length to limit bore contact, thereby limiting fouling. This slug has a velocity of 1,300 feet per second which yields over 700 foot/pounds energy which compares directly to a .44 Remington Magnum. Compare our slug to the tiny slugs that others make, as light as 1/5 ounce which may not have the ability to penetrate to the vital organs. Our slug has plenty of meat on its bones to get the job done.

These rounds carry 4 balls that are .375” diameter and weigh 78 grains each. We roll crimp ALL our .410 rounds toinsure smooth feeding and easy ejection. See this ammo in action on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rllf2QOFivA Nobody else in the world makes a .410 buckshot this big so we’re calling it, ‘0000,’ or 4/0 buckshot. With a velocity of 1,200 fps these three balls generate more than 725 foot/pounds energy, energy comparable to a .44 magnum. Each ball has similar penetration and energy to that of a .38 special.The ball pictured in the gallery below expanded to .432” or just slightly larger in diameter than a .44 magnum.

DO NOT USE IN TUBULAR MAGAZINES!!! Finally police have a 12 gauge round they can use to stop a suspect's car dead in its tracks or to reach through a barricade to stop a suspect. The 400 grain hard steel slug moves at 1,700 feet per second and the polygonal tail, a variation of our patented, 'Mass Forward,' technology stabilizes the round in flight. The slug itself looks just like a .50 BMG slug, except that it's .421" in diameter. The slug can pass through any standard choke up to full choke but don't use it in an extra full or tighter as the polygonal tail will be crushed and the slug will tumble in flight.

With suprisingly light recoil this armor piercing slug has its way with TWO car doors and still has plenty of horse power to take care of business on the other side. Body armor won't help a suspect with this round, either. We use a propriatary heat treated alloy and a magnum powder charge to make this 2 3/4" shell perform like a 3 1/2" round. You have to see this round in action to appreciate it. You can see this round perform on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcfFQs1M0c

HogShot 2 3/4" Magnums. The 2 3/4" shell puts out TWO .58 caliber musket balls, each one weighing 279 grains or 5/8 ounce a Whopping 5 times heavier than a mere 00 buck ( the little, shiny ball in the picture) pellet. This round has a muzzle velocity of 1,275 feet per second. As a point of reference a standard velocity 20 gauge slug weighs 275 grains and travels 1,300 feet/second. This round generates over 2,000 foot/pounds energy. This round is the ultimate buckshot round where hunting deer with buckshot is allowed by law. When hunting large/dangerous game, reach for the HogShot

pre-fragmented 12 gauge slug. This slug weighs barely a half ounce and has the recoil similar to that of a standard deer slug, but SCREAMS out the barrel at 2,000 fps. Upon impact the polymer carrier shatters to pieces, hurling hundreds of hard, tiny bits into the target. think of it as a 1,500 MPH sandblasting. The polymer would do the job in most cases BUT we include 185 grains of #4 bird shot (very similar to a MafSafe* round) which means about 55 wound channels dumping 2,000 pounds of energy into its target. Even if some pelklets do exit the target, they won't over penetrate interior walls.

SuperBuck n Slug 12 gauge rounds. Each round contains 9 00 buckshot AND a 7/8 12 gauge sabot slug for a combined payload weight of 2 ounces!!! The sabot slug can pass through any choke and you could fire this round through a rifled barrel though we son't suggest it as the buckshot would have a WIDE dispersal. Feel free to view the additional images in the additional pack sizes by clicking on the thumbnail images. Dave fired a 2" group at 25 yards with a smoothbored 1100 Remington with iron sights. The target was a torso target and 25 of the 27 00 buckshot were on the target through a cyinder choke.

Our low or reduced recoil, full length, slug is specifically engineered to improve a shooter’s capabilities with a shotgun. Loaded to produce a 40% reduction in recoil but still be a ballistic equivalent to the U.S. Army Cavalry carbine loads made for the venerable .45-70 Government, our slug has plenty of power to get the job done but not torture your shoulder. The 1 1/4 ounce (525 grain) slug has a muzzle velocity of 1,000 fps through a 19" barrel which delivers 1,116 foot/pounds energy, about 1 1/2 times that of a .44 magnum. Our tactical Sabot Slug was specifically designed to overcome the shortcomings of commercially available, 'punkin ball,' slugs. This sabot slug can pass through any choke AND can be used in both smoothbore and rifled barrels. No matter what standard chamber length 12 gauge you own this round can go through it. The projectile itself has an outside diameter of .683" or to put it another way, its diameter BEFORE impact is similar to that of a .44 Magnum AFTER it has expanded all the way.

This round was initally made at the request of a East Texas rancher to deal severely with the local feral pig population. He needed a round that would guarantee deep penetration and massive tissue damage. This roung throws 8 massive 0000 or 4/0 buckshot at 1,200 fps through a 19" barrel which yields 2000 foot/pounds energy. These balls are .375" in diameter and weigh 78 grains apiece. or about 40% MORE than a 00 buckshot. You can easily tell by comparing the little black 00 ball in the image to the UltraBuck whose balls are bigger.

This 20 Gauge puts truly devastating firepower for the buckshot user/feral pig hunter, right where you want it with BoarShot 2 3/4" Magnums. The 2 3/4" shell puts out TWO .58 caliber hard cast musket balls, each one weighing 279 grains or 5/8 ounce a Whopping 5 times heavier than a mere 00 buck pellet. This round has a muzzle velocity of 1,200 feet per second. IN the images that are available on the, 'details,' you can see the accuracy of this round. The image shows a 25 yard pattern of a half inch!!! the second group represents a four shot, 8 ball group. when you take out the flier you have a three inch pattern at 25 yards.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (09/02/11 10:58 PM)

Mike_Johnson
.300 member

Reged: 17/10/09
Loc: York, Pa
      #182740 - 29/05/11 01:20 PM

Great thread. Thanks to all who contributed the info.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: Mike_Johnson]
      #182746 - 29/05/11 03:04 PM

Lancaster is one of my heros.
I wish I had his library - I wish I could actually READ half of his library!
Fuhrmann Too!!
I've spent many many nights doing specific word and phrase searches in the Google Books and Image utilities...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: fuhrmann]
      #182772 - 30/05/11 03:50 AM

Quote:

I am very interested in this numbers!
Would you kindly check this thread: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=109972&an=0&page=0#Post109972
In this thread I am puzzled about the low powder loads and resulting low velocities used in the "Germanic system".
You are using a powder : bullet ratio of ca. 1 : 3 up to 1 : 2.
Such heavy loads were also used in American plains rifles.
A German book of 1877 recommended a ratio between 1 : 7 and 1 : 6.

Fuhrmann

Perhaps I can help.

Original round ball (pre-bullet) Jaegers have been measured with rifling twists as fast as one turn in 24". Seems 28" and 30" is quite popular and normal. These fast twists will not allow the powder charges Steve talked about. Steve is talking about twists of 56" (Getz), 66" (Rice) to as slow at 80"(GM) in normal RB barrels made in the States today. Indeed, Ed Rayle will make any twist you want - even at or over 100".

The charges he noted, will give a round ball a point blank range, where the ball is neither more than 3" above nor below the line of sight, of up to 135yards. This is a splendid thing, when shooting across unknown ranges, like a meadow in the bush or across a logging slash, or prairie, where NE members like DPhar hunt.

To have a limit of accurate hitting of a mere 75 yards, one might as well be shooting a flintlock 20 bore smoothbore, loaded with 3 or 4 drams of 2F like I use in mine.

--------------------
Daryl

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #182779 - 30/05/11 05:02 AM

I see some very interesting shotgun cartridges with slugs, big shot, balls, and other projectiles but I don't see much in the way of Paradox cartridges. So I will add a few.

From top to bottom:

Antique H&H 10ga Paradox cartridge (steel capped, see page 33 of 1910 catalog)
Antique H&H 12ga Paradox cartridge (hollow point)
Current H&H 12ga Paradox cartridge (740gr solid)
Bullet from current H&H 12ga Paradox cartridge recovered from clay bank (it took a lot of digging)

Edited by CptCurl (14/06/11 09:04 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: slugs, bore gun and paradox cartridges [Re: Grenadier]
      #182789 - 30/05/11 08:56 AM

I really don't want to take anything away from a company producing specialty ammo, but you don't have to buy it. You can easily make your own with a Lee loader and Lee moulds.

I watched the armor piercing video - might have been better if not done in a gravel pit, but it was OK and showed the results they were after, but actually displayed nothing special.

The same results, only more demonstrative, happen with WW balls from a 12 bore - which can be over 500gr., not a mere light-weight, 7/8oz as in the video. Even a little 475gr. WW ball from the el-cheapo Lee mould will do it and do it well.

As for the multi-ball loads of different sized balls, those-too are well within the relm of any handloader. For a .410, merely size down some .440's, or use .395's as-cast. At 94gr. each, they're some 50% heavier than triple ought buck - each, which means greater penetration.

All of the smaller bore sizes are well represented by Lee at about $16.00 to $24.00 per mould size, SC or DC in smaller sizes from .562" and smaller.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 160245

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com