Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: George Gibbs Farquharson action price???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
LukeinNZ
.224 member

Reged: 07/10/04
George Gibbs Farquharson action price???
      #109081 - 06/07/08 09:54 AM

I just made a very spur of the moment purchase in the form of a George Gibbs Bristol marked Farquharsons action. It's in very tidy original condition still with traces of case hardening. Now I know very little about these so hope I haven't been stiffed on the price. The action came from a deceased estate who apparently had several Gibbs target rifles. I'm told this was a match target action (has provision for tang sight) with the curve in the rear tang for a pistol grip type stock. The asking price was $2850 NZ dollars and it swapped into my hands for $2500.00. Was I ripped off??? Is this going to be suitable into building a classic african big game rifle on?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: LukeinNZ]
      #109084 - 06/07/08 10:44 AM

sounds like good value to me

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #109096 - 06/07/08 01:05 PM

Mr. LukeinNZ:

I am unsure of the exchange rate, but you would have no trouble selling the action here for $2500 US. You would have to look no farther than me...

The Gibbs is the original Farquharson action and there were only about 950 of them made. It is an excellent action. You done good.

There were a few variations of the action. Can you post pictures?

Regards,

Glenn

LukeinNZ
.224 member

Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: Glenn_Fewless]
      #109137 - 07/07/08 08:12 AM

$2500 NZ dollars is about $1900 US. I'll have to take some photo's and post it here for you. Interestingly the action appears to have a very low serial number (or what i presume to be). It has marked Farquharson patent 93. I'm guessing that means it was number 93??
Surfing the net found this rifle forsale http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=97464156
and the action looks almost identical to this one. I was told that it was probably originally chambered in .461 Gibbs.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #109146 - 07/07/08 10:50 AM

If that is an origional .461 Gibbs then it could have a collector value far in excess of what you paid for it. How much of it is left ? I assume from the post that the barrel has gone ?
Can you post some pictures.

Regards

LukeinNZ
.224 member

Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: Bramble]
      #109151 - 07/07/08 11:52 AM

I'll take some close up pictures in the next few days then figure out how to post the photo's here. I've also just ordered "British single shot rifles v2" book that covers the Gibbs which should tell me a little more. I purchased the action with the intent of building a period classic safari rifle that you would take to india or Africa.
Its the action only, no woodwork or barrel. There was apparently a complete Gibbs .461 match rifle that had already sold.

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

#109174 - 07/07/08 04:56 PM

Lukein NZ:

To answer one of your questions I missed, I think it is THE single shot action to build a classic African big game rifle on. There is no better place to start than the Gibbs action.

Glenn

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

#109800 - 16/07/08 02:25 AM

Gentlemens:

I am posting these pictures for Mr. LukeinNZ. It is a very early action and most interesting.

Glenn

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #109842 - 16/07/08 01:26 PM

Luke:
Marvellous fodder for a project!

If it were mine, I'd barrel it up in the larger of the .461 Gibbs cartridges, impossibly long barrel, with sights and stock in the proper pattern.

Bramble might share this view too, judging from his previous post.

Read Seyfried's articles in the DGJ on hunting buffalo with this rifle/cartridge combination, and his Chobe Chicken-Hunt in Blackpowder Hunting magazine.

Chamber it in .340 Weatherby and we'll never speak to you again!

Seriously though, the list of common Gibbs Farquharson chamberings can be found in Wally's book, as previously indicated. Just choose your favourite within the constraints of the action size. I too am envious!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

LukeinNZ
.224 member

Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: Marrakai]
      #109897 - 17/07/08 08:00 AM

I've now read Winfers book on the Gibbs rifle back to back a few times now and found it an amazing wealth of information. I'm think a period reconstruction is on the cards when funds permit. The 450/400 3 1/4" nitro is tempting, the 461 Gibbs could be the go if it were chambered to use the thin rim 500 Nitro brass but all thanks to Marrakai and his exploits with his 577 2 3/4" (also listed as on option)is very, very tempting.
The original case colouring is now very light so I'm considering sending it to someone like Ballard or Turnball restoration in USA for restoration. I'm a bit reluctant to do anything with out plenty of thought because I do not want to defile a piece of history. Would you get the action polished & buffed to remove the blemishes & marks or just leave it as is? I'm in the frame of mind of leaving the marks as they are part of the character.

Anyway thanks to Glen Fewless for posting the photo's here for me. He's been a delight to discuss singleshots with.

So all I need now is for Marrakai to invite me for a Buff hunt .577 Farquharson anyone?

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #109901 - 17/07/08 09:28 AM

If you want to do a period restoration or rebuild, do not touch it. Do not buff it certainly, and do not send it to anybody in the states to have it coloured. I have yet to see colouring done there that matches the original.
An original Metford pattern rifled barrel could be percured in an origional caliber and some searching would find the stock pattern and the details needed for a rebuild. Then you have a very nice gun worth bucks.
To do anything else is sacrilidge and a cheep Ruger#1 would be a better platform.
If you want to see how NOT to do it, do a search of .461 Gibbs on Google and you will turn up one on Gunbroker that will break your heart.

Regards

LukeinNZ
.224 member

Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: Bramble]
      #109902 - 17/07/08 10:49 AM

I appreciate the advice & comments on the action. To be honest I hadn't even considered picking up a suitable metford barrel...I don't know why I didn't think of that. Chances for finding something here in NZ would be very unlikely but you never know. Are there any particular sources, companies or auction sites in the worth checking out for something like this?
I talked to a very well versed gunsmith (EX Purdeys)about the action today. Like you he said don't change a thing, use it as is.
Looks like I'm on the look out for a barrel. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
Thanks anyway & do please let me know if you stumble or know of a suitable barrel in your travel.

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

#109911 - 17/07/08 03:11 PM

Mr. Bramble:

I agree that a Metford rifled barrel would be proper. Do you know of any house currently cutting Metford rifling?

I tend to disagree on the restoration. I would certainly save all the engraving and do as little work on it as possible, but I would make the action pristine. There seems to be little point in making new work look old, or to put a shiny new barrel and stock on a aged action. Either it is an original rifle, or it is not. If not, it seems to me the answer is to return it to like new condition in original configuration. In the case of an action, one can only assume a likely original configuration. The nice thing about an action like this is that the owner gets to pick the "authentic" configuration that fits his desires.

Of course, we are all just expressing opinions. Mr. LukeinNZ owns the action and gets to make the decisions. Not to worry, the action is in good hands.

As for the Farquharson on Gunbroker you point out, I am the new owner and the next time it sees the light of day it will be a fine recreation of an original pattern sporting rifle chambered for an appropriate cartridge. Or maybe the .340 Weatherby... <g>

Best to all,

Glenn

belgmart
.275 member

Reged: 29/02/04
      #109961 - 18/07/08 05:32 PM

Looking at that action, I cannot help but think this once used to be a supine match rifle chambered in something like .461 Gibbs. How about it, to recreate something like that?
FWIW, Ueli Eichelberger in Switzerland still will make you a (early pattern,with gain twist if you want, but not segmental rifling) Metford-rifled barrel, and good work too... I have one of his barrels on my #2 Musket, and it really is a quality barrel, very accurate and cleans easily. When compared to my .45 Snover with (yes!) Metford segmental rifling, I do have to say it is better. But the Snover is much better with PP bullets though.

--------------------
Martini's Rule!

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: George Gibbs Farquharson action price??? [Re: belgmart]
      #109963 - 18/07/08 06:52 PM

Quote:

Looking at that action, I cannot help but think this once used to be a supine match rifle chambered in something like .461 Gibbs. How about it, to recreate something like that?
FWIW, Ueli Eichelberger in Switzerland still will make you a (early pattern,with gain twist if you want, but not segmental rifling) Metford-rifled barrel, and good work too... I have one of his barrels on my #2 Musket, and it really is a quality barrel, very accurate and cleans easily. When compared to my .45 Snover with (yes!) Metford segmental rifling, I do have to say it is better. But the Snover is much better with PP bullets though.

Arthur Smith of colchester can do a segmnented metford rifling...even gaintwist...and London proof marked. Yes...the barrels are profiled and chambered.

Edited by rigbymauser (18/07/08 06:54 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115702 - 28/09/08 03:38 AM

I think that is a fair price to pay, and will make a really neat project. Good luck with it, and do post your progress as it comes along.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com